Tough to lose weight even though Thyroid is regulated?

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed on here, but I am new to this board!

Is it factual that my hypothyroidism will make it more difficult for me to lose weight even though I am taking Synthroid and it tests out to be stable?

Please be kind to the newbie :)

Replies

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It really depends. Some people have good experiences with just Synthroid, others a combo of Synthroid + Cytomel, and others with a natural dessicated thyroid. Everyone is different.

I'm one of those people who didn't do well with just Synthroid, and still had major symptoms even though my labs tested normal. All that had to be done is add in Cytomel,and I felt like a brand new woman. :D
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!! I agree with mmmdrop - "it depends" -- "testing stable" probably means your TSH levels are normal - but TSH is not an accurate indicator that your thyroid is regulating your metabolism the way it is supposed to.

I would recommend that you learn about your thyroid -- all the various hormones it produces as well as the symptoms of hypothyroidism. You can get a ton of info at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com .

What I experienced on Synthroid, was normal TSH levels, but I still had many symptoms of hypothyroidism -- low body temp, cold, hair loss, dry hair/skin, weight gain, insomnia, constipation, depression. So Synthroid did not help me at all. But my docs (now fired!) all said my levels were normal.

Terri
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Some say that you will lose weight like a normal person when your levels are treated properly. Some don't have that experience.

For me, it kind of depends on a lot of factors. I can lose weight more easily when my thyroid is balanced, but it helps that I'm not on birth control pills anymore, or migraine medications that made me drowsy and I am getting regular sleep. Even then, I still lose weight slowly. I find that taking good care of myself is worthwhile whether or not I lose weight, but I still try.

I could care less how long it takes. I'll just keep plugging away at it.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I think everyone's experience is different. Even though my thyroid is properly regulated with thyroid replacement hormones and I have an overall sense of well being it is still difficult to lose weight. I am also post menopausal and have never had a fast metabolism so I guess part of it is where I am in life and genetics - the luck of the draw!

Not to say it makes it impossible but I have to work very hard and be consistent for each *ounce* that I lose!
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This group is really interesting to read. I do have difficulty losing weight and have to be extremely good with my diet to do so. I just thought it was because I'm in my late forties and that my metabolism had slowed down. I have never been to endocrinologist and am now wondering if I should do that. My hair loss slowed down after I started taking synthroid, but I have never gotten it back to where it was before. Has anyone else experience permanent hair loss?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    This group is really interesting to read. I do have difficulty losing weight and have to be extremely good with my diet to do so. I just thought it was because I'm in my late forties and that my metabolism had slowed down. I have never been to endocrinologist and am now wondering if I should do that. My hair loss slowed down after I started taking synthroid, but I have never gotten it back to where it was before. Has anyone else experience permanent hair loss?

I think hair loss is semi-permanent and peri-menopause can contribute also -- you might want to try Black Currant Oil -- it's a capsule like fish oil that they say promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss. At least it's natural, so can't hurt you!! I ordered mine online - I think Amazon.com.

I never lost any of my hypo symptoms while on synthroid... :angry:
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks everybody! You've been extremely helpful!

Would you recommend going to an endocronologist as opposed to a regular family doctor for treatment?
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Thanks everybody! You've been extremely helpful!

Would you recommend going to an endocronologist as opposed to a regular family doctor for treatment?

Only if you can find an endo that will agree to treat you for your symptoms and not just your TSH lab results. There's lots of ideas for finding a doc that will really treat your thyroid and adrenals properly: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/how-to-find-a-good-doc/

Bookmark this site, and if you can, buy their book -- educate yourself. It's the most loving thing you can do for your own body!!
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

Terri
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i noticed one time when i had my prescription filled it was Synthroid, and then the next time they filled it with Levothyroxine... what would be the difference between the 2? should i be concerned that it was changed without me knowing?
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im on meds and my doc told me i was doing fine....but im struggling to lose weight . i have friends who are also working out the same as me and when i see them each week, it feels like i havent lost anything at all!!
  • kbolfing
    kbolfing Posts: 7
    Options
    Levothyroxin or however you spell it lol, is the generic of synthroid. the 2 are interchangeable and nothing to worry about unless your doctor says specifically that you respond better to one or the other. Always discuss these changes with your dr and your concerns.
  • kbolfing
    kbolfing Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the same problem... It's really hard for me to loose weight. My labs come back fine (in face, I recently got a lower dosage of Synthroid) but I still have symptoms (cold, dry skin/hair/nails, insomnia, constipation and diarrhea). If anyone has any suggestions and whether or not I should talk to my doctor about alternative drugs please reply and let me know.
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx. i never noticed a difference in me when they drug store switched them without me knowing... at that time i was still struggling in general as my tests were coming back normal but i was so not normal... I FINALLY convinced my dr to up my meds last fall and wow in a few weeks i felt like a different person! I did tests late nov and she said it was perfect, i could go any higher with meds. I just had my levels re tested on wed, so we will see now that it's been a few months where they sit now...
  • lin7604
    Options
    I have the same problem... It's really hard for me to loose weight. My labs come back fine (in face, I recently got a lower dosage of Synthroid) but I still have symptoms (cold, dry skin/hair/nails, insomnia, constipation and diarrhea). If anyone has any suggestions and whether or not I should talk to my doctor about alternative drugs please reply and let me know.

oh and me too, my levels were coming back normal and i was gaining weight... i was trying so hard to loose wight and it wasn't happening at all. I had to beg my dr to up my meds and once that happened about 1 month later i felt so better and i was slowly seeing weight come off. it is still a major struggle for me, i only have lost 8 lbs since Oct 22nd and i still have atleast 6 more lbs to go before i get back to myself...
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Folks, most endos and GPs are only measuring your TSH -- which is why they say you are normal.

Please educate yourself and learn to "talk back" to your doctor -- they are not the boss of your thyroid!! You have choices - and if you are eating nutritional and healthy food and exercising, you should be able to lose weight!!

Please try to read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless/

It will help you if you need to have a conversation with your doctor and ask him to treat your symptoms, not your TSH Lab test.

Terri
  • Tamarastime
    Tamarastime Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been chugging along losing weight slowly on Synthroid and metformin. My doctor felt like I needed birth control to help with PCOS symptoms. I have been bloated and feeling icky ever since. The PCOS symptoms are better. I recently started IBS medicine. I will be turning 40 this year and seem to be going down hill fast:( I have not been able to get the scale to budge. I am so confused, do I follow a PCOS diet, hypothyroid, or IBS diet????
  • lin7604
    Options
    Folks, most endos and GPs are only measuring your TSH -- which is why they say you are normal.

Please educate yourself and learn to "talk back" to your doctor -- they are not the boss of your thyroid!! You have choices - and if you are eating nutritional and healthy food and exercising, you should be able to lose weight!!

Please try to read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless/

It will help you if you need to have a conversation with your doctor and ask him to treat your symptoms, not your TSH Lab test.

Terri

true but in my case i made her do all the tests and show me the results. all were in the so called normal range.....
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Are you sure they did all the tests? I was told by several internists that *all* my levels were fine and yet I felt awful. It turns out not all the tests were done and my thyroid disease is autoimmune. I cannot echo enough what Terri posted about being your own advocate and educating yourself and pushing back on your doctor or looking for a new one who dismisses your concerns
  • lin7604
    Options
    well i was sure they did, they did tsh, t3 and t4 and a few others in my blood work. I totally agree you can only get what you want if you push it yourself, that is how i finally got my dr to bump up my meds. she refused for almost a year and then the weight was piling on, i felt really really terrible and then she agree to up it. It made the world of difference. To think i had to push it.... i just dont get why they don't try it, they all know that even when you are on the normal side and still low that it can be too low for some people and they should have it more personalized not a general number for all...
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Are you sure they did all the tests? I was told by several internists that *all* my levels were fine and yet I felt awful. It turns out not all the tests were done and my thyroid disease is autoimmune. I cannot echo enough what Terri posted about being your own advocate and educating yourself and pushing back on your doctor or looking for a new one who dismisses your concerns

That's true -- my Naturopath is actively addressing each of my thyroid levels as well as my Reverse T3, B12, Vit D levels and others -- and we are working towards a number where I don't have any symptoms -- not a number that are so-called "normal". If "normal" feels like crap, then it' might feel normal for some people, but not for me.

Terri