introduction

Options
sueset
sueset Posts: 12 Member
Hi, I am a 46 year old mother of 2 teenage girls. In my 20's and 30's I was fit and active. I worked out 3 days a week and looked and felt great. I am now 33 lbs overweight. Hypothroidism and early menopause contributed to my weight gain. My thyroid is under control but I am left with the weight that I have gained as a result of it. I have tried several diets. The challenge i have and I'm sure many of us share is sticking with it. I love using this app because it makes me feel like i have control. My goal is to learn how to enjoy all this things I love in moderation. My weakness is ice cream, nightime eating and wine. All good things in moderation but all terrible in excess! I recently purchased a self hypnosis app by Darren Marks. I think its working. I also starting attending spinning classes (you can burn 600 calories in these classes) and I have set up a home gym. Ok so that's where I am today...Who's next?

Replies

• quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm next!

Hi, I'm a 48 yo, married for 30 years (in May), and the mother of two daughters, grandmother of a sweet 8 month old boy and expecting another grandbaby in October. I had my kids quite young, when I was 18 and 22, and my metabolism was a furnace. It had to be: I gained 80 pounds with my first - lost it all by 4 months postpartum, and 65 pounds with the second - it took 7 months to lose it all that time. I've been active throughout my life with periods of being sedentary. I'm on a medication that is known to result in weight gain and I've gained 30 pounds over the past five years. I am a breast cancer survivor of almost 9 years and went into immediate menopause after a full hysterectomy at age 40.

Nighttime eating can be a real challenge for me. I am convinced I am, literally, addicted to sugar (once I start I cannot stop). I am in love with Kettlebells and work out with them 4-5 days/week. I have a Kettlebell trainer come to my home one morning a week. My DH and I also take Pilates reformer classes one morning a week.

I am a therapist and work part time. I have a lot of free time - not used productively many times! I've lost 5 pounds in two weeks and seem to be more motivated with the nicer weather and increased sunshine.

That's me....Who's next?
  • ocrere
    ocrere Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am in..... I am 41, birthday in May. I have lost 84 pounds and need to lose another 80
  • skatergirl69
    Options
    Hi I am 42 yrs old, married for 20 years and have about 30lbs that I really need to get off. I am a runner who have trained for 2 1/2 marathons. A surgery gone bad has left me without exercise for two years. have slowly gotten back into execise and running since the Fall, lots about 10lbs and and now struggling to get the rest off. I too feel that I am adicted to sugar!! I loce anything sweet and once i start eating i just cant seem to stop.

I am just getting into the routine of getting to the gym before work, which means getting up at 5AM. after work I coach different sports so no time for me then.

well that's my story!! :)
  • ReneeMV63
    ReneeMV63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Reading your introduction reminded me of what I am currently going through. My goal is to get back in serious shape. I just learned about this site through a friend who lost 35 pounds & she got me motivated. I think if we all support eachother, we'll make it through.
  • dlamaier
    dlamaier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. I am a mother of two girls one that will be 10 and another to be three soon. Married for 12 years. When I met my husband I was 124lbs after having my last child I was 38 and my weight was at its highest at 172. Now I am 41 and premenopausal and finding that it is very hard to lose the weight. I am down to 146 and still would like to lose 20 more pounds. I am on a mission to be fit for my kids and my husband who has also joined in to lose weight and now we are doing it together.
  • mzbatson
    mzbatson Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is great!!!

I am a 42 year old mom of 2 boys, 16 and 6. I love then to pieces. I recently got out of a dyfunctional 8 year relationship. After the breakup, I realized I lost myself in the relationship! I am not doing this because of that, I am doing it because it is time I find myself again and get healthy for my kids!!!!

I feel so good recently. I have a way to go but I am motivated and focused to do it. I have been getting up early on the weekend and going to the gym before my son's soccer games and going after work! I have been walking in the heat. I even bought me some cute workout gear and new shoes!

Please help me stay on track! I have been doing good, logging my food/exercise, and staying under my calories. I look forward to getting to know you all and becoming great friends!

Is anyone in Kansas? If so, where?

Let's all get out sexy back!!!!! :wink:
  • puresunshine_2
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm not 40 yet but will be in may of this year so I hope you don't mind me joining now. I need to shed about 90 pounds and I'm going to work hard getting it off. I'm married and it's been hard watching what I eat when the hubby isn't watching his intake UGH!!! I hope everyone had a nice weekend :)
  • belle096
    belle096 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello everyone, I saw this group and thought I would connect with you guys. I am 42 years old and just need to lose about 30 lbs due to poor diet and lack of exercise. I am slowly getting in to the groove and it's easier than I thought.
  • shanel97654
    shanel97654 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am a 40yr old.... need to lose about 50lbs or so. I am the mother of 22yr old daughter and the "Nana" of the cutest little granddaughter! I have let myself get out of shape for several years now and am trying to get it back together. I would love the support of this group ...
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 43 and have a 12 and 8 year old. I'm active in my kids' lives and love going on adventures with them. I also decided on the ripe age of 42 to become a fitness instructor! I've been obsessed with exercise after losing 50 pounds after my son was born. It's a bit tough on this old body though! I'm here because I've slowly put weight on that I just have to get off! I'm a sugar-aholic so it's tough when those cravings hit. I feel like no matter how much I work out, it just doesn't come off like it used to!
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    hi all, I am 41, the mother of a 22 y.o. son and a 12 y.o. daughter. i like some of you am realizing its a bit harder to lose when you hit your 40's. i used to be able to drop weight with little to no effort. i am determined to work as hard as is necessary to reach my goals. i have found that some workouts are hard on my "old knees" ( my 32 y.o. fiance jokingly calls them) maybe as time goes on they will get better. :smile:
  • jojomia
    jojomia Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi! I will be 46 (in 8 days) and work as a registered nurse in Labor and Delivery doing 3-4 12 hr nights per week. I have a 23 yr old son and a 17 yr old son with autism. I have a 3 yrs old granddaughter and one due in 2 weeks! I am divorced but am living with my boyfriend of 12 years now, we just don't see the need to get married yet - LOL. I used to weigh 140's but was up to 195 recently. I have been doing this for a few weeks and am now 189 so heading the right direction. I will be nice to have a group of the same aged ladies to talk to!
    Jodi
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46, mother of 12 & 9 year olds, with hubby nearly 20 years. Obese most of my life (331 highest weight) but now about 20 pounds from my UGW (165) and I'm in the best shape of my life. I know what has worked for my body but I'm also always researching/questioning/experimenting. The emotional work continues and its the hardness part to mend. Why do I allow these cravings/urges to take control? Why do these unhealthy eating habits persist & dominate? How can I live where food is fuel and is enjoyed but its not an obsession to be micro-managed? I intend to live a fit and fabulous life in my 40s and beyond so I'm willing to put in the work to figure me out. Since returning to MFP on Dec. 2, 2011 I've had amazing support and success losing nearly 50 pounds. I so glad we get to share this next phase together...Feel free to add me.
  • klean1729
    Options
    hi. I am 45 and have two kids who are 22 and 19. I also have a 3 year old grandson. I have been overweight for a while now. I am tired of being tired all the time.
  • wjacko
    wjacko Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello my name is Wendy and I am 41 and single. I have a daughter 22, a son 18 with asperger's, and a 2yo grandson. I am twice divorced and last november my first ex-husband passed away and my diet went out the window. We weren't close but we had a son together. I guess I was just grieving with my children. I am now trying this fitness pal and so far I'm not doing to great on it. I really need to work on consistentcy. My thyroid is underactive and I was hoping that my lack of weight loss was due to that. I have rosecea so I have thought of alkline diet. I even tried being a vegetarian but after a few days I had no strength left. I look forward to reading about everybody's experiences and ideas;)
  • jos39
    jos39 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi my name is Jo - just joined today and living in London, need to lose 70lbs, always been active (love to walk and swim) but always overeaten and been overweight now for 20+ years, sick of being tired all the time and not looking my best! I'll be 43 at the end of May and would like to have made some headway by then :-)
    Looking forward to the journey with everyone! x
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi, my name is Karen and I am 49. I am excited to beable to connect with people around my age, because your age can factor in some differences when trying to lose weight. Feel free to friend request me also, I could use the motivation and support as well as give it. My goal is to lose about 35-40lbs. I just started in March and have lost 2 lbs so far even tho I have been eating right and kicking butt 3 days at the gym. I have 2 grown children and 2 granddaughters and a grandson, loves of my life!!!
  • fan4iu
    fan4iu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Judy and I'm 43. I have a 17 yr o son and twin daughters who are 13...teenagers are driving me crazy! I teach 4th grade and am busy all the time. I have found that I get injured a lot more as I am aging. My knees hurt when I do zumba, so I had to quit, running is out too. Right now I have a shoulder injury from reaching to the seat behind me in the car...its hard getting old!!! :) These things never used to happen! I've been taking prednisone off and on for the last few years and have gained at least 30 pounds and it has mostly gone to my belly...very weird. I am struggling with trying to work around all of this and lose some weight!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 46 years old. I have 4 children and 2 grand kids . I have 50+ lbs to lose. MFP is helping to control my calorie intake. Haven't been able to hop on the exercise wagon yet. This group looks like it will be a great source of support and encouragement !
  • sueset
    sueset Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello again everyone,

I created this blog last night and woke up to this huge support group! I'm new to blogging so I didn't expect this. My initial thought was to find 6 to 8 women to support each other. Obviously, we found a lot more. Does anyone have any thoughts on how we might make this support group effective with such a large number of participants? I guess at this point we can just read the posts and offer support to anyone who needs it. Another thought is to post a new life changing weight loss goal each weach. We need to create healthy eating habits if we are going to achieve lasting weight loss. Maybe we can all work on the same habit a week and post our comments. Sort of like the way weight watchers chooses something to focus on once a week. We can also share tips that have worked for us or inspirational quotes. Of course, this would be in addition to posting are success, frustrations and feelings. Any thoughts?

Thanks for joining. It was great reading all of your posts. We can do this! We just need to stick with it!