Lesson 1: What You Need is Different From What You Want

Options
aarnoldmcf
aarnoldmcf Posts: 41 Member
Memorize these scriptures to encourage yourself to learn to eat what you need more often than eating what you want.

John 15: 5

Phillipians 4:13

Most of us go through life eating what we want. We only eat what we need, once we are diagnosed with a disease and all the things we enjoyed are off limits. We don't learn to "budget" our appetites the same way we learn to budget our bank accounts. We ration our money and learn to cut back on spending, but when it comes to food, we are loose cannons. We put no limits on how much we can have. Do you ever go to the gas pump and try to pump more gas into your car than it needs? This sounds crazy, but this is what we do with our bodies. Food is fuel for our bodies. So many of us get use to pumping more fuel into our bodies than what we need. Overindulging becomes toxic. If you continue to overfuel your vehicle, do you think this will make a difference in how it functions mechanically? This is probably not a good thing to do.

How will you know when you have pumped enough fuel into your body? Use the nutrional detail on My fitness pal. This allows you to be proactive. Use the My fitness pal daily tab to see what you "need" to eat. For example, If I could have it my way, I would eat a biscuits several times per week, because this is what I want. This is what my flesh wants, this is what my mind has trained my taste buds to desire. However, what I "need" is more green vegetables than I need biscuits. I can eat 1 cheddar bay biscuit at Red Lobster for 150 calories or I can eat 3 cups of cooked broccoli for 150 calories. This is way more broccoli than my heart desires. My stomach and taste buds are satisfied at 1 cup or less. Or look at it this way. I may desire 1 whole biscuit, but I don't have to eat a whole biscuit. I can eat half a biscuit and satisfy my tastebuds The nutritional detail will tell me what to eat next, based on where my deficiencies are. I may only need a few more carbs and 1 cub of broccoli may do it. You will find that you can satisfy your tastebuds with a portion size that is much smaller than what you eyes are use to seeing. "Walk by faith and not by sight"!

If you are getting started with my fitness pal, the first Lesson is to learn the difference between what you need versus what you want. Make a sacrifice for God's temple, your body. Focus more on what you need, and less on what you are tempted to do. Praying for strength to control your temptations of food will allow you to "bear much fruit". This will be fruitfulness in self esteem, confidence, energy, health, feeling good and fit. You can do this, and all things through Christ who strengthens you. Pray for strength along this journey to seek righteous in your choices with food.

John 15:5
New International Version (NIV)

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Philippians 4:13
New International Version (NIV)

13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength

If this posting helped you, send a reply and share your experience to help others!

Replies

• editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love the gas analogy! As a truck driver a year ago, I would pump 150 gallons into the tanks! That's what a BIG rig needs. My little Buick needs far less. If I want to remain BIG, I need more biscuits! But if I want to be fit, fit for the purpose God has planned for me, I need to use premium fuel, in the right portion, burn it off & refuel as needed.

Now on the other hand, when my spiritual fuel of hearing the Word is low each day, then my heart tank gets skinny. If I want to enlarge my heart, I need to take in Premium Truth, in the right portion, use it right & refuel as needed!

Thanx for the encouragement and the Word.
    <><
  • mtgal2012
    mtgal2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is so true. I think we are raised in a society where everying is BIG. When you go anywhere to eat they give you huge portions and that is one thing that I have always struggled with, when they bring a big plate to clear the plate. With God's strength I want to get to a point where I can just ask for a To-Go Box and save half for latter. thanks for the great message!
    Jen
  • melissa7662
    melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post!! Such and inspiring message that I needed to hear..

I have been asking GOD to help me make the right choices for not only my food but for health and happiness..

GOD had given me the strength to say NO to a lot of food that I would have otherwise caved into the want instead of the need..

I am so happy to be able to join a group that allows GOD to be the center of our life.

Habits are hard to break, however as you stated with GOD anything is possible!!
  • gonnadoit32
    Options
    great analogy! thanks for the encouragement...this is definitely the kind I want! :)
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    Love the analogy with the fuel as well. Looking forward to Lesson 2 already!