Zombies, Run! (mobile app)

Options
Apologies if you have already read this post before but I thought I would set up an official 'Geek Squid' thread for 'Zombies, Run!'.

In this tread you can post your thoughts, run times, playlists and anything you like about this great running app.

If you have read my blog before you will know that:

1. I am a bit geeky.
2. I’ve been getting fit for my forthcoming wedding (I’ve lost 2 stone!)

So imagine my joy when I found a great running app called ‘Zombies, Run!‘. It’s basically an adventure story that you listen to while you are running. You play the character ‘Runner 5” and you’ve got to help your base rebuild from the ruins of civilization by going out and collecting critical supplies.

runner-5-e1332956009132.jpg
"I am Runner 5!" (Me sporting the official 'Zombies, Run!' T-shirt)

When you start your run, your base (Able Township) will give you a mission (from what i’ve done so far most missions last about 30 minutes) and then the app will play you tracks from your own music playlist as if your base is broadcasting it from their radio tower, it will then briefly interrupt the music every now & then to let you know you’ve found something, “You’ve picked up a first aid kit”. After each track someone will update you on your progress and how the mission is going, and letting you know if zombies are nearby. They will tell you If you need to speed up, slow down, and more importantly if you are being CHASED BY ZOMBIES!!!

Once you have completed your mission you will be told to return to base and the app switches to radio mode. This mode is basically the same as the mission mode but the story won’t progress any further. Instead two DJ’s from Able Township (the base) will give you light conversation inbetween tracks. This basically gives you opportunity to ‘collect’ more items for the rest of your run. Once you have finished running you can then use the items you’ve collected to develop your base and help your surviving population thrive. My base has gone from a population of about 60 to around 150. You can then post your progress on Twitter. With a bigger base comes more missions and some unexpected surprises!

zombiesrun.jpg

I started using the app about a month ago on ‘Accelerometer’ mode while using my Wii Fit. So I would run on the spot, and the app would detect the motion of my iPhone and calculate my approximate pace. Yeah, yeah, I know, I was a bit lame, it’s not real running, but using ‘Zombies, Run!’ had made double the about of time I spend ‘Free Running’ on the Wii Fit and made me want to go out running for real. So that was my next plan, go out on the streets, turn on the GPS, turn on the ’Zombie Chase’ option, go for a run and see where the story would take me.

The first run I did was at night. I put on my black jogging bottoms and hoodie, and headed out into the darkness. I thought I was ready, I thought I was prepared. I wasn’t…

I turned out that running on the spot is NOTHING like the real thing (who knew). After about 10 minutes out I felt shattered, but I was scared. I was out on my own, and expecting zombies to attack me at any moment so I kept on running. A police car slowed as it passed me, so I turned the corner and started heading down a side road. I know I had done nothing wrong but the sight of the police car had given me a wake up call;

It’s late at night.
I am dressed in black with a black hoddie.
I am running.
If stopped, the police would probably not believe me if I told them I was being chased by zombies.
As the mission was over anyway I decided it was time for me to head home. I collapsed on the sofa, and started allocating my supplies. I had been out for about an hour. The next day I could hardly walk. I could hardly walk for a week. I ached all over. The next week I decided that from now on I would do more of a ‘Zombies, Walk!’ than ‘Zombies, Run!’. So that’s what i’ve been doing. Walking.

I have being doing Chichester’s Wall’s Walk, starting off slow at first, just incase I need to speed up due to the threat of Zombies. As it’s easy to complete the walk in less than half an hour, I’ve got into the habit of doing laps or adding to the route. I normally go out for an hour, given myself around 30 minutes to complete the mission and then 30 minutes of ‘radio’ time. Sometimes i’ll jog, sometimes I’ll stroll but I will always be out long enough to complete the mission.

Hang on… Wait…. what’s that? Behind you! No!! No!!! It’s them! They must have broken through the barriers!!! Zombies, RUN!!!!!!!

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
An ultra-immersive running game for the iPhone, iPod Touch, & Android.

Replies

• mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    This sounds so awesome.. I've wanted to get the app for a while but I'm a cheap-o.. I'm gonna buy it tomorrow (payday) as I need to train for the race for life that I'm gonna run in June and this sounds like sooo much fun =D
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Nice, I'm currently half way through C25K, but once I have done that, I will def have a look at this app! I also have a race for life in July to train for, fleeing Zombies should give me the impetus that I need. :happy:
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This sounds AWESOME! I'm gonna check this out right away :D
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    As soon as this comes out on Android, I am so ditching C25K for this! :bigsmile:
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Only iPhone?
  • pathologie
    pathologie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this app! I am Currently on Missions 8 right now. It definitely appeals to the gamer in me =)

Yeah it's only for Iphone right now, they are currently working on a Droid version to be released in late May.

There is a Reddit subthread and a tumblr if you need inspiration/motivation for music or whatnot.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    No need to convince me... I'm just waiting on the Android version...
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    Here is my 'Zombies, Run!' Playlist (which I have on shuffle):

Leaving England - John Murphy
    Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
    Get Free - The Vines
    Go Go Go - John Murphy
    Screamager - Therapy?
    Zero - Smashing Pumpkins
    Derezzed - Daft Punk
    Seven Nation Army (Remix) - The Glitch Mod/White Stripes
    Blue Wrath - I Monster
    Hysteria - Muse
    Bongo Song - Zongamin
    Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
    Dream Is Collapsing - Hans Zimmer
    Black Hole - Be Your Own Pet
    Can't Go Back - Primal Scream
    Hit - The Wannadies
    It's Getting Boring By The Sea - Blood Red Shoes
    Date With The Night - Yeah Yeah Yeah
    Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
    Living Dead Girl - Rob Zombie
    Magneto - Henry Jackman
    Hyperactive - The Donnas
    Jesus Built My Hotrod - Ministry
    Red Tape - Agent Provocateur
    Sabotage - Beastie Boys
    I Want You - Inspiral Carpets
    Joy - Gay Dad
    Metal Fingers In My Body - Add N to (X)
    We Used to Be Friends - The Dandy Warhols
    AKA... What A Life! - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
    It's The End Of The World As We Know It - R.E.M
    All My Life - Foo Fighters
    Maddaddy - Pepe Deluxe
    Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction
    Black Sheep - The Evil Ex's
    Blue Orchid - The White Stripes
    Come On My Selector - Squarepusher
    Extreme Ways - Moby
    Fireflies - Owl City
    Get Back - The Beatles
    Go With The Flow - Queens Of The Stone Age
    Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
    An Honest Mistake - The Bravery
    Idioteque - Radiohead
    In For The Kill - La Roux
    Invincible - Ok Go
    Jailbird - Primal Scream
    Kanda's Death, Pt.2 - John Murphy
    Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire
    Lost Again - Dance Hall Crashers
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    My current 'Zombies, Run!' Progress:

Thrusday, 29th March 2012
    Mission 10 - 2.85 miles - 1hr.
    Abel Township Population - 161
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    Friday, 30th March 2012

Mission 11
    3.88 miles - 1hr 16min.

Abel Township Population - 173
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This sounds neat i shall try this
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    Monday, 2 April 2012

Mission 12
    1.72 miles - 41min.

Abel Township Population - 178
  • TheLukePhone
    TheLukePhone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did mission one on Sunday.. was a blast! I turned off the zombie chases, since I was out walking with my wife and kids (in a jogging stroller).

When I go out by myself, i'll turn the chases on, so I actually have to hoof it to stay alive. :)

I love that you can log your runs now, it's great fun. After mission one, I'm up to 85 people in my township.

The story, acting, and app itself are all very good, and definitely enjoyable. I'm not sure what it costs, as mine was gifted to me from a supporter of my training. :)
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love this app. However, I can't help but to keep looking behind me while using it.
    >.>
    <.<

The zombie groans are kinda scary.
  • halforc80
    halforc80 Posts: 29
    Options
    ^ THIS.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    ^ THIS.

X2
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Zombie, Run! for Droid? Any good?
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love this app. I was never really a runner, but I downloaded this app after hearing so many good things on MFP.

I CANNOT use this app at night. I'm a big wuss... and the groans scare the living crap out of me.

Last night I ran 5.51km! It was the longest I was able to run. It's awesome. :)

One thing though, does anyone know if there's a way to get the app to use miles instead of kilometers? I don't mind converting it, but it's one way for my brain to be a little lazier.
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this app! It makes walks/runs go by so quickly! The newest update came with more missions and the ability to change the setting to miles.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Did mission 12 today. Things are getting so angsty~!