Fast food & your family

Options
Anyone else having to deal with going through the drive thru to appease your family while youre on a very strict diet? How well does everyone handle it? Are you tempted with bad choices? Or does it not bother you? Its actually been very easy for me to deal with for the most part surprisingly, I guess I want this weight off that bad!

Replies

• LouisAA1978
    LouisAA1978 Posts: 275
    Options
    it is tough to go out to eat period and make a healthy choice i try to go for salad or grilled chicken
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a b****, because when I'm eating healthy EVERYBODY'S eating healthy LOL. I'm not stopping at two places and I'm not dealing with the smell of your fries while I'm eating lettuce.

I'm so mean.

But seriously, congrats on having such great willpower - it will take you far! :drinker:
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a b****

LOL So am I! I just refuse to go to those places. When my mother invites me to dinner I always ask in advance what she's making. Either I say "no thanks" or "I'll bring the vegetables" (since vegetables are a foreign food in their household).
    My advice: just stand your ground! You are looking out for your best interest (your health).
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I eat at Taco Bell on a regular basis and get the chicken soft taco without cheese. It's low cal and not as bad as the other options plus affordable. I just try to choose the fast food options that are better or take the bread off sandwiches, etc.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Yes, me too. I have recently discovered the Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken salad from Mcdonalds and its very good, and surprisingly Low cal & I opt for whatever dressing is low fat/calorie. But I only do that when Im out and about and get home to eat :)
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Hahaha! Crackin me up! I know how you feel, but i figure if I can watch my family eat what they want then it wont bother me when I see something in public I want, or a smell that triggers my taste buds!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    So true! You are building up your resistance to temptation and learning to listen to your body rather than the sights and smells of food around you. Love it :heart:
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Oh ok, I finally figured out how to respond to an entry directly. LOL They obviously dont pressure me into anything, they are kinda like my cheerleaders actually, and they dont want me to "cheat"
    I guess I'm a b****[/quote]

LOL So am I! I just refuse to go to those places. When my mother invites me to dinner I always ask in advance what she's making. Either I say "no thanks" or "I'll bring the vegetables" (since vegetables are a foreign food in their household).
    My advice: just stand your ground! You are looking out for your best interest (your health).
    [/quote]
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    I totally wish there was a "Like" button! Exactly :) I get stronger 7 stronger everyday!
    So true! You are building up your resistance to temptation and learning to listen to your body rather than the sights and smells of food around you. Love it :heart:
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Yea, that sounds good. Taco Bell was a big reason for my weight gain I think, LOL, so I try to steer clear of them all together! But I am trying to be as precise as possible with my diet. I measure everything in either ounces or grams and track it religiously. Being conscious of what your putting in your body has made me feel so successful. That is part of the reson I will not make soups or casseroles or other meals like that because it is impossible to track exactly what your intake is.
    I eat at Taco Bell on a regular basis and get the chicken soft taco without cheese. It's low cal and not as bad as the other options plus affordable. I just try to choose the fast food options that are better or take the bread off sandwiches, etc.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Im blessed to live alone. I can barely control myself on most days, I dont know how I would handle being around other people and their food!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I gripe when we get salads from mcdonalds for dinner and I have to order my dad a double cheeseburger.. to have with his salad.. lol Or when he eats like 6 french toast for breakfast.. My sister eats out quite abit too it really does frustrate me a lot. I gave up fast food for lent this year and it's gone pretty well cept 1 night we had subway ;| I took my sister through a wendy's earlier this afternoon cuz she was hungry and it didn't bother me to get nothing this time :) It probably won't be like that all the time but it was a nice change haha. I can't really complain too much about their eating habits because I easily have double what anyone else in my house has to lose :P When I get skinner then them I can yell! My sister actually had a dream a while ago that she gained weight and I was skinner than her :D And in reality she's like 150ish less than me probably I told her I'm gonna make her dream become reality XD
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    I def feel your pain. My middle sister has always been a skinny little thing, it seems shes never had a problem controlling her wieght and eats the same as me, and we did all the same activities together pretty much. My goal is 163 lbs, Ive got a way to go but WHEN I make it Ill be smaller than both my sisters! Good job on your self control, keep it up, & I think it gets easier from here on out. My goal is to be able to completely over power food, my relationship with food will be on a need basis only for nutrition and energy, and hopefully it will become natural to me soon!
    I gripe when we get salads from mcdonalds for dinner and I have to order my dad a double cheeseburger.. to have with his salad.. lol Or when he eats like 6 french toast for breakfast.. My sister eats out quite abit too it really does frustrate me a lot. I gave up fast food for lent this year and it's gone pretty well cept 1 night we had subway ;| I took my sister through a wendy's earlier this afternoon cuz she was hungry and it didn't bother me to get nothing this time :) It probably won't be like that all the time but it was a nice change haha. I can't really complain too much about their eating habits because I easily have double what anyone else in my house has to lose :P When I get skinner then them I can yell! My sister actually had a dream a while ago that she gained weight and I was skinner than her :D And in reality she's like 150ish less than me probably I told her I'm gonna make her dream become reality XD
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i had fast food for late lunch/dinner just now from Culver's and it was fantastic lol. I was really suprized how low on sodium their burgers and fries were, once you ditched the cheese, and I ditched the bun so I could enjoy the fries.

Got a side salad for a light dinner later on tonight. I had to run out and pick up groceries and knew after unpacking everything I wouldnt feel like preparing anything.
  • nightscare0
    Options
    I agree that there is tough temptation when going to fast food joints. No matter what I order I feel like anything healthy has soaked up the grease and desperation in the air. Plus I kinda feel that ordering a salad from McDonald's is a bit like asking a *kitten* for a hug . . . . But meh we all just do the best we can with the circumstances presented.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a b****, because when I'm eating healthy EVERYBODY'S eating healthy LOL. I'm not stopping at two places and I'm not dealing with the smell of your fries while I'm eating lettuce.

I'm so mean.

But seriously, congrats on having such great willpower - it will take you far! :drinker:

Me too. If you've passed on poor eating habits to your family, as I did, it is a good change for them to eat healthy too..even if they don't need to lose weight.
  • Bethikinz
    Bethikinz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We've cut way back on fast food. I'm trying to keep fast food as part of a plan, rather than a last minute thing. For example, I know that my daughter won't eat before her dance class on Saturday mornings (she's just not an early m orning eater) so we plan to go out for breakfast after class. Since I know I'm going, I can plan for it and work it in to the rest of my day.

Also, I find that if I leave my purse in the trunk, I'm a heck of a lot less likely to go through a drive thru.
  • Kalynx
    Options
    Also, I find that if I leave my purse in the trunk, I'm a heck of a lot less likely to go through a drive thru.

LOL great idea!! love it!

I'm to the point now I know every drive thru in my path and know from reading the online nutrition menu what I could possibly order at each place - Never really cared before!
  • Kalynx
    Options
    speaking of which, I had the mcdonalds maple and fruit oatmeal this morning and it was fabulous!
  • amyz71
    amyz71 Posts: 2
    Options
    During one of our inservices at school the other day a group of us went out to eat at Applebees -- was so happy that I found something for 450! and it was fabulous! Thank heavens for the weight watchers meals there! I could take my family and not feel pressure to order something that wasn't low calorie only to feel bad later that night!