How far....(newbie to c25k)

Options
Switty_Kitty
Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
Hi everyone. I have a question. I want to know what the average pace is for this program. At this point Im thinking "5k?? YA RIGHT!!" I just did W2D3 today and made it 3.5k (2.17mi), including the cool down. Is that average? Is that slow?

Also, do you push yourself beyond the program? After the program is done, I continue my 6k route, often throwing in more intervals (I call it my hydro pole runs, as I'll run the distance between three poles on the side of the road, then walk 2, run 3...til I get home). Do you think this will impede the progress of the C25K program?

Does anyone else get shin splints? I do, moreso from walking, no jogging, and they go away after about 3kms. :S
Thanks for your input!

Replies

• TiffaniUT
    TiffaniUT Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been getting shin splints from all the c25k activity. I've never had this before, but felt it for the first time 2 weeks ago when I was doing a brisk walk up and down hills. Then, last night when I started running on week 4, I was surprised that I was not winded but was having extreme pain in my shins. The burning was so bad I had to stop for a second to take a break/pressure off of my shins. I thought it was crazy that my shins were what was slowing me down, not the tiredness.
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen to me. What changed it for me was getting new shoes. I knew my stride of a bit off and talked to the guy at the shoe store. He recommended a certain kind and they helped! No more pain in my shins.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have a question. I want to know what the average pace is for this program. At this point Im thinking "5k?? YA RIGHT!!" I just did W2D3 today and made it 3.5k (2.17mi), including the cool down. Is that average? Is that slow?

Also, do you push yourself beyond the program? After the program is done, I continue my 6k route, often throwing in more intervals (I call it my hydro pole runs, as I'll run the distance between three poles on the side of the road, then walk 2, run 3...til I get home). Do you think this will impede the progress of the C25K program?

Does anyone else get shin splints? I do, moreso from walking, no jogging, and they go away after about 3kms. :S
    Thanks for your input!

I don't get shin splints (I had them years ago, though.)

But, the way you train sounds like me - using telephone poles or whatever for intervals. I do that sort of thing, too! And, I continue on a route that is about 6k, as well, although I mostly walk it briskly.

I also do other exercise, almost ever day of the week. Mostly walking and hiking/hill climbing.

I don't think it will impede the progress, unless your shin splints make you need to take a break from training.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm on W2D2 and on Monday I made it 2.1 miles. Sounds like we're on a similar pace... when I'm jogging, I'm usually running at around an 8-9 minute mile pace. But during the walk intervals, I slow it down to just a standard walk (i.e. 3 mph).

I'll tell you this, those run segments are HARD. By the 45 second point, my lungs are burning and I feel like I can't do anymore. I just keep pushing and telling myself that it's only 30 more seconds, it's only 20 more seconds, it's only 10 more seconds.... but that's not gonna fly when I have to run for 3 minutes next week!! I'll probably have to slow it down to more of a 10-11 minute mile.

Keep us posted on how it goes!!
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am going wayyy slower than yall! :) I have been confined to a treadmill for the last week, I walk 3.5mph and jog at 4.5 mph on an incline of a measly 1. So I'd say you're doing great!
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am W2D2 and I do a 3/5 mph split. The 5mph jogging is a little slow but its rather get through the program at that speed and then ramp it up, rather than burning out now going to fast. As for the walking I could do it faster too, but I rather cool down more to prepare for the next run.
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I would think that you should go at your own speed and as you build up endurance, you will be able to go faster. I am not sure what week I should be doing right now. I did my first jog in a year last week and started with a 5min brisk walk, then jogged the rest of the way except for two 1min breathers I took. It took me 22 min to complete 2 miles so I didnt technically do all 30 min of the program. My goal is to be able to run the 3 miles in 30min, but I know that will take time......

What week do you guys think I should start at?
  • TheCountryMomma
    TheCountryMomma Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am going wayyy slower than yall! :) I have been confined to a treadmill for the last week, I walk 3.5mph and jog at 4.5 mph on an incline of a measly 1. So I'd say you're doing great!

Hey that's what i am running/walking at too. Have had multiple surgeries on the knee so I'm taking it easy!!!! Thanks for joining my group!!
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would think that you should go at your own speed and as you build up endurance, you will be able to go faster. I am not sure what week I should be doing right now. I did my first jog in a year last week and started with a 5min brisk walk, then jogged the rest of the way except for two 1min breathers I took. It took me 22 min to complete 2 miles so I didnt technically do all 30 min of the program. My goal is to be able to run the 3 miles in 30min, but I know that will take time......

What week do you guys think I should start at?

Why not try week two and see how that feels? It's better to start off a bit slow than to push ahead. You don't want shin splints or something to stop you from doing anything.
  • MissEmilie2011
    MissEmilie2011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow you are doing great. I am on W6D3 and I'm running (jogging) an 11minute mile. I figure the speed will come later after I finish the program. As for the shin splints, I got them really bad in the beginning. I was told to focus on my form and run more heel to toe and not on the ball of my foot. That has really helped and I no longer get shin splints. It slowed me down at first because I was really having to focus on how I was running, but now it comes naturally and I can run comfortably. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow you are doing great. I am on W6D3 and I'm running (jogging) an 11minute mile. I figure the speed will come later after I finish the program. As for the shin splints, I got them really bad in the beginning. I was told to focus on my form and run more heel to toe and not on the ball of my foot. That has really helped and I no longer get shin splints. It slowed me down at first because I was really having to focus on how I was running, but now it comes naturally and I can run comfortably. Hope this helps. :smile:

That's good to know, everything I was reading was talking about NOT running from Heel to Toe.....I'm willing to give it a try since my shins started hurting throughout week 2. I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. Thanks. :wink:

Edited to add in that on Week 2 my total distance is about 2.13 including cool down. :)
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options

That is some good advice there! I just to get those pains when I started walking but I started watching my form and havent had a problem since. This morning was my third run and I did 2.5 mi in 28 min.....Today was a little tougher for me and I am not sure why. It was very misty out at 5:30am so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it but I did have to walk a few more times. I still kept the 11min/mi though so I guess it will work for now. I know as the days go by I will be able to build more! Great job...you are about to start week 7! That is amazing progress!
  • mathersb
    mathersb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As for the shin splints, I got them really bad in the beginning. I was told to focus on my form and run more heel to toe and not on the ball of my foot. That has really helped and I no longer get shin splints.

That's good to know, everything I was reading was talking about NOT running from Heel to Toe.....I'm willing to give it a try since my shins started hurting throughout week 2. I'll try that tonight and see how it goes. Thanks. :wink:

Edited to add in that on Week 2 my total distance is about 2.13 including cool down. :)

I've heard bad things about landing on your heels too. I actually started seeing a physical therapist during W2 because I was having problems with my IT band, knees (mostly caused by the IT band), and shins. Making sure your calves aren't too tight was key for the shins. My PT explained that when the calves are really tight the shins have to work harder to lift your toes.

She also recommended I check out YouTube videos of the ChiRunning method. I bought the book instead, and I'm still trying to absorb it all. The author says a landing on your midfoot is one of the keys. I'm still trying to get the hang of that. Another key element for me was keeping my lower legs as relaxed as possible. In Chi Running you keep your spine straight but lean forward a little (just slightly!), and then gravity provides your forward motion instead of you needing to push off with your feet or your calves. Your legs job is just to keep you from falling forward. Sounded a little kooky to me at first, but reading the explanations it made more sense. It was hard trying to relax my legs (I thought they were supposed to feel 'strong' instead) and not push off with my feet, but when I can do it it DOES feel easier.

As for speed, I just did W4D4 (an extra day at my PT's recommendation) and I did 5 mph for the 5 min intervals and 5.5 mph for the 3 min. My walks were about 3.7, maybe 3.5 for the first few seconds to recover a little faster. W1 I was doing 4.2 on my 'runs', then worked up to 4.5 over W2 and W3. My weeks were really spread out and had a few repeat days becuase of the IT band/knee issue. 5 mph is new in W4. I had to interrupt my W4D3 workout (kid reasons) before the 2nd 5 min jog but wanted to finish it 1/2 hr or so later. Since I'd had a long break I wanted to push it a little, so (after a re-warmup) I did 1 min at 5, 1 at 5.5, 1 at 5, then the last 2 at 5.5. I'm pleased that I've increased by what feels like a LOT to me, but still frustrated that I'm not at the 6mph the C25K program seems to be based on (jog 0.5 mi or 5 min, etc).

I don't know whether to repeat more days to get the speed up, or keep the speed down so I can keep moving ahead without having to repeat many days. I know the speed really isn't important, but if I AM doing to do a 5K, I'd kind of like it to be over as soon as possible! :wink:
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Be wary (maybe I should say, "tread lightly") regarding running form advice. It seems to be a hotly debated topic, with strong arguments in loud voices on all sides. Heel-strikers seem to say that landing mid-foot or ball-of-the-foot leads to injuries, and mid/fore-foot people say heel-striking causes more injuries. Go onto a running forum and read a thread about barefoot running to see people on both sides flipping out. It leaves me feeling like I'm wrong either way lol.

Anyway, if you're going to consciously change the way you run, be sure to investigate the different options and see what works best for you.

(Full disclosure: I went to a running shop and got fitted for a nice set of shoes that make me feel so much less pain by cushioning my heel-striking stride. But last night I tried running barefoot a little and it felt great. Not that I see myself doing any real distance without shoes, but it did immediately and instinctively change the way I ran in a way that I thought felt a lot better. So I really don't know what to do!)