Introductions & Welcomes

Options
So I didn't see a Thread where people can provide a short introduction. I just joined and would love to get to know a little bit about the people in this group!

So tell us about who you are, what you love, your fitness experience and goals, and anything you deem relevant! I'll start...

Join us for our 'Weekly Chat' where we share our daily challenges and successes! For even more support, join our 'Weekly Challenge' where we set exercise goals and nutritional goals. Receive recognition for your achievements! Join in any time by setting goals, tracking progress, and checking in at the end of the week! All are welcome.

Replies

• SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Hi! I am Sara Grace.

I joined MFP a few weeks ago (and cancelled my Weight Watchers membership). I needed something new.

I have about 75lbs to lose. Maybe more. I am playing it by ear once I get down into my goal range. For now I am focusing on short term results - upping fitness through cardio and weight training along with a general increase in how much walking I am doing with my dog. My dogs name is Voodoo and if I loved exercise 10% as much as she does I would be the healthiest person on the planet! :-) Well maybe not, but pretty damned healthy.

I love movies, reading, and music. My husband S. and I are doing a weight lifting program together and we are starting up a "Sunday Hike Club" which is really just us going hiking on Sundays (though we try to enlist our friends). In the past I have really enjoyed spin class so I might try to add that in once a week.

Other than that we have a small group of women who meet on Tuesday nights to talk about fitness, nutrition, and goal setting. We are called Unchub Club or LifeSupport depending on who you ask. It is nice to have a small targeted weight loss group to lean on.

Glad to be here for the day to day support! Oh I just turned 30 in January and so far 30 has been great!

Sara Grace
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi Sara!

I've been a member for about 2 months. I'm looking to lose about 40-45lbs.. I've being slowly trying to change my habits, I'm not on here to diet, more just to help me start eating better. I have found tracking everything, has been a huge help and a big eye opener.

I have a lazy cat name Winston, he's no help with my exercise. In fact if I work out at home he gets in the way. Example, when I am doing cross training and I go in for a plank he likes to come and lay under me. :) If I could only train him to lay ON TOP...it would be very helpful since he's a Maine Coon and weighs 20lbs.

I am a big time movie and music geek, I listen to mostly rock, but I really like a bit of everything. Same goes for my movie tastes. I am also completely addicted to fashion, and art. :) I have a warped sense of haha, but a generally positive attitude.

I just turned 33 and so far so good.

A Sunday Hike Club sounds awesome! I wish I could get my BF off the couch and into something like that. Maybe that will be my summer goal!

Feel free to friend me if you're looking for support. Cheers.
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am Melissa, I am 33 and I have been on MFP for about 4months. I have lost 18pound but I have been very inconsistent especially around the holidays. This week I am springing back into action and trying to rededicate myself to consistent losses.

I am a real estate agent and I am married. We haven't had any babies yet but that is part of why I am on the quest for fitness and health. I don't want to be unhealthy and pregnant. We don't have any pets because we don't have a yard so when our Princess (black lab mix age 17) passed away we decided not to get another until we move.

They just put a bike path by my house and so I am hoping to get in good enough shape to ride bikes with my hubby this summer. I am also hoping to form a kickball team this summer with my family and a few friends the park system is right near my house and they have tournaments all summer.

I love music and I am very active at my church helping out where I can. I am a member of a book club and the last couple meetings we have talked a lot about fitness as most of the girls are trying to get in shape for summer.

Feel free to add me I am good at supporting others and I'll take all the support I can get! lol
  • crystalkiss
    crystalkiss Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! :)
    My name is Crystal. I am 38 years old, and have been doing MFP for about a month now. I love it! I was at first weary of putting in all the food that I ate because, I admit, it was NOT GOOD! And its never a good feeling when you go to the doctor's office, step on the scale, and see a number that would turn your hair white,lol. I have found that most everyone on MFP is very warm, supportive and helpful!! :) Please feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    Amanda - Maybe your cat is really just trying to support you? Putting his life and limb at risk by laying under you while planking... He's gonna make sure you stay up for the whole minute!

Melissa - I love your play approach to working out. Biking & Kickball sound both super good for you and super fun!

Crystal - The doctors office scale is the worst. So many people see that number! Sometimes when I feel really bad about tracking (like when I know I have had a really bad day) I just let myself skip tracking the meals or snacks where I got really off course. After a couple of days I find that I can go back and fill in what I ate without feeling so immediately ashamed of it. Not completely accurate I know but comforting especially since it usually wasn't as bad as I thought. For me the biggest thing is just getting back to eating right the next day. All of that is to say, no one's food journal is perfect (and if it was you probably wouldn't want to be friends with that person anyway :-)
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name's Paul and I've been on MFP for about a month now although my weight loss project started in January. Thus far things are going well and i've been going to a weight loss/healthy living group at my local gym since January. Which i really enjoyed inspite the fact that i was the only guy in a group of 30 plus. Didn't matter in the slightest though as all the ladies there were lovely and really supportive and generous with their compliments. That has now come to an end but my plan to get into shape continues. I get married at the end of September and the idea of cameras and as i've just found out video cameras terrify me. So it's time to get in shape. I've lost 49lbs since january and my trainer is keen for me to start bulking up after Easter.
    As for my loves it has to be music and movies. Live music is a source of great pleasure and happiness for me. I'm also a massive movie nerd. Especially when it comes to superhero movies. Yes i'm shocked anyone wants to marry me either ;-). I also enjoy photography and as my fitness improves i'm enjoying going for long walks with my camera.
    In signing off i'll just wish everyone the best of luck.

Paul
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hello! I joined MFP sometime in December, but started to use it seriously in January. I have always been big, and I am trying my hardest to change that!This year I had it set in my mind that starting January 1st that things were going to change...I started off strong for first half of January, then my Dad had a heart attack...That happening caused me to emotionally and stress eat...I did snap out of due to the voice of my Dad's nurse. I heard watch she told us over and over again in my head and decided, no more of this stress eating... The nurse said to my brother any me, "you know have a history of heart disease, and all the things I just told your Dad apply to you too." She said if it has a drive thru then you shouldn't be eating it! My Dad is doing well now, btw. I also had news in January that I won a cruise thru work, so that added to the determination that I WILL lose weight and get healthier!

So, as of today, I have lost 19 lbs since starting in January! I set sail in 12 days! I am 6 lbs away from my goal that I set to be at by the time I leave for my cruise! So, then when I return from the cruise I will then have 60 lbs to go! I started at 85 lbs to lose!

I set mini goals for myself every month...I will add time to exercise and set a goal like, lose 10 pounds this month...

Really glad this group was set up! Anyone that would like to add me, feel free!

Have a great day, everyone!
  • woodmouse
    woodmouse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have only been on MFP for 2 weeks but I am LOVING it already

I am 31 and this is my first proper attempt at sensible dieting. I have lots of history with either binging or very hardcore dieting so MFP is my attempt at moderation- it's working so far but some days are easier than others.

I am hoping to get fit and drop 40 lbs by the end of August. I do an outdoor fitness bootcamp 3 times a week (which is amazing) and have just signed up with a trainer to give me that extra push (writing this I've just come from an hour's kickboxing with my trainer). I have set my profile picture to GI Jane as my mission is to be able to do a one arm push up by end August (I can't even do a normal one yet!)

This September I will have been with my husband for 10 years so I'd like to go on a 'holiday of a lifetime' and look great in a bikini. After that, I'd really like to start trying for a baby so it would be great to be thin and fit beforehand. I'm a LONG way away from that now.

Feel free to add me- I'm pretty good with support, and could do with extra motivation too.

Really good to read all of your stories- keep posting!

Ruth
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ellie. I hit my top weight about 7 years ago and I've trying to lose it ever since. I'm down about 65 lbs so far and have 20-25 to go. My weight loss has been stalled for about the last year and I am zero pounds down so far. I've really been trying to focus on finding the solution and I've joined the ranks of (what I'm sure everyone is sick to death of seeing on the boards recently) the eat more and lift weights crowd. I've been a serious cardio-aholic for the last couple years and really enjoy running, but I've been taking a break for the last 6 weeks. I'm planning to start back up this weekend and get signed up for couple races this summer, but still keep up with the weights as I've found I really enjoy it.

About me....I'm 33 and approaching 34 and I'm a single gal so just pretty much doing this on my own. Oh, so yes, friend requests are welcome! I'm all for the mutual support on here. Other than that I live in Denver and I'm super excited the weather is changing and can't wait to be able to get out and enjoy all the great stuff Colorado has to offer! I'm making a goal for myself to get out and be more active and really take advantage of all the great things my where I live has to offer!

Great to meet everyone!
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Debbie. I'm 36, married with two kids, 4 and 2. I work full time too. My husband is very supportive, but doesn't have the best eating habits, so I try my best to ignore his late night snacking!

I joined MFP on Valentine's day this year, so far down about 8 lbs and several inches. 17 more to go - or until I can get back into size 6 pants. I started c25k in December and now run 2.5-3 miles 3x/week. I'm not loving running, but love how it makes me feel. I just recently added strength training too. I had been doing WW, but I was really lazy about the whole thing. I'm way more diligent with MFP for some reason.

My biggest challenge here is meeting my macros, I need to raise my proteins and lower carbs, am open to new ideas!

Feel free to add me :) Looking forward to motivation from this group!
  • lissa0040
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Welcome to the group. It's really nice on MFP to find some support. I have had a terrible day today and wanted to eat junk and watch tv all evening. I had made a commitment on here to walk/run 10miles this week and I am almost there. So tonight I went to the gym and watched tv on the treadmill (nice compromise?) and finished my 10 miles and it's only Thursday. I think knowing people are looking at my diary and keeping it public helps me to make better choices. I have been on MFP for months but this is the first week that I have done the groups/message boards. Looking forward to getting to know you! Add me if you'd like.
  • Theocian74
    Theocian74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Theo. I just started mfp today. I had a fight with my wife who wanted to join weight watchers and told her she could get help for free. I didn't know about mfp yet then. But I did some google searches and here I am. I am in a extremely obese BMi and it's very scary. I want to make friends with others that have succeeded and who are fighting for their health like me.

I mostly live sedentary lifestyle at this time, but I'm looking to change that. Also I'm addicted to fast food which doesn't help either.

Me and wife S. are doing mfp together now. I told the program that I'd like to lose a pound per week so far. Do you think that is a good start?
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Cristi. I'm 33 yrs old & I've been married for nearly 12 yrs now. I've gained quite a bit over the years from medications for the chronic migraines & vertigo I have. I try my hardest to have a positive attitude but don't always succeed.

I am ready to get some weight off & start our family (we have been TTC for a few months now).

Nice to meet all of you!
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    Ellie - It sounds like you have had amazing success! Have you considered ignoring the scale for awhile and focusing on new and fun types of exercise? Focus on overall health for awhile? The scale can be cruel and is often a bad reflection of how hard we have been working and how good we should feel about ourselves.

It does seem like a lot of people aren't eating enough on mfp, but that is pretty easy to see when you look at your net calories everyday. How are you practicing the "eating more"? I have been working hard to guarantee that I don't end the day with a huge deficit. I really am firmly in the camp that says eat most of your exercise calories. Every time I have been diligent about that I have see much more consistent loses.

Debbie - We are in the same boat! I was on WW (off and on) for years. I finally quit and something about mfp just clicked.

Theo - Weight Watcher really does work great for some people. In particular, its two greatest strengths are the group support of the meetings and the tons and tons of information and advice they have for people who are just starting out. Hopefully your wife can get good advice here, but if you are new to dieting I would really recommend picking up a book to guide you something that appeals to your/her personality. Also, if she has any friends who might be interested in losing weight maybe they could form their own little support group. I wouldn't trade my group of fabulous women for the world.

If you are very overweight, you should start out by walking for exercise. Start as small as you need too but each day that you go out push yourself to go just a little further. You will see incredible gains from just a little bit of exercise. You should probably double check with your doctor to make sure you are ok for exercise - walking and beyond.

As for eating out, consider taking the number of times you cook your own dinner per week and adding +1 meal per week as you go along. So if you cook at home once a week now, try and cook twice a week next week, etc. If you are looking for "hacks" on how to make your favorite fast food meals at home the website Pinterest actually has some pretty good ideas. I also love looking there for recipes!

I think your goal of one pound a week is perfect. Pushing too hard can lead to a slow down in your metabolism and irregular loses and gains. I hope that the program is giving you enough calories based on your weight. Sometimes it feels a little on size fits all in that regard. That might be another good question for a doctor.

Cristi - Hi! I have a friend who suffers from chronic migraines. I cannot imagine the pain you must feel. She did manage to lose quite a bit of weight. I could ask her about how she did it if you are interested? I wish you the best of luck in trying to get pregnant. Hope we can provide some support for you here.

Ok, it is bed time.

The best to everyone!
    Sara Grace
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    Oh, sorry I missed some people because the page didn't show me your comments. Hi to everyone I missed. Please feel free to join in on the daily thread!
  • lissa0040
    Options
    Hi, I'm Theo. I just started mfp today. I had a fight with my wife who wanted to join weight watchers and told her she could get help for free. I didn't know about mfp yet then. But I did some google searches and here I am. I am in a extremely obese BMi and it's very scary. I want to make friends with others that have succeeded and who are fighting for their health like me.

I mostly live sedentary lifestyle at this time, but I'm looking to change that. Also I'm addicted to fast food which doesn't help either.

Me and wife S. are doing mfp together now. I told the program that I'd like to lose a pound per week so far. Do you think that is a good start?

Welcome Theo! I too have a lot of weight to lose and I was addicted to McDonald's fries and drive thru's in general. I have come a long way but one of the first things I did was get my orders under control. I couldn't get it together all at once so I would let myself get one sandwich without getting fries. I did that for a while until I was ready to start cooking at home. One thing that is really cool about this website is that when you log in your large fries and whopper you see how many calories you've eaten and how many fat grams you've consumed and it hits you how serious it is. When I would see the red numbers (indicating I had gone way over) and the prompt that would tell me what I would weigh in 5 weeks it really started to sink in.You don't have to make your journal public if you still want to eat out but try and still log no matter what you are eating.

Just cooking at home (and not eating all the junk I had been eating) helped me lose 18lbs! And because I am so big I started just walking. We are young, walking is no big deal-- we walk all day long. So I would say go on a walk and walk as slow as you want but do it for at least a half an hour a couple times a week. At first you'll have to make yourself do it but get some good music on your ipod or a podcast and the time will fly!

Weight Watchers isn't for everyone but I would say if your wife wants to try it she should. It might not even be for her but she won't know till she tries it. I know when my husband tries to control my process it squashes my motivation. It is SO hard to change your life at first and if she thinks it will help her then maybe you should let her try it --a lot of times programs like that have free trial periods. (Don't mean to overstep just from a wife's point of view)
  • lissa0040
    Options
    Hi. My name is Cristi. I'm 33 yrs old & I've been married for nearly 12 yrs now. I've gained quite a bit over the years from medications for the chronic migraines & vertigo I have. I try my hardest to have a positive attitude but don't always succeed.

I am ready to get some weight off & start our family (we have been TTC for a few months now).

Nice to meet all of you!

Hi Cristi! I am also 33yrs old and have been married for 6years with no babies yet. We want a family but haven't even tried yet because I really need to get some weight off so that I can be healthier during pregnancy. Welcome --we are here for support! : )
  • lintlin
    lintlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm Stephenie, 36, married and proud mother of a 15 year old boy-man :) I'm new to MFP and just found this group. I really like the group idea!

My goal is to lose 20 kg (about 45 lbs) by October, 2012. I do notice that it is much harder to lose weight now than say 5 years ago. Takes much more effort and little sins don't go unnoticed. But hey, that's life!

In March I started the C25K program and am starting week 5 today. I haven't lost any weight, but I am definitely firming up! To keep me motivated I have registered for a 5k in May and an 8k in July. I'm pretty nervous as I've never been a runner, but I'm sure I will get there.

Looking forward to being an active member of this great group!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm Sonya. I'm 36, and have been here since October. Lost almost 40 pounds and have about 45 left to lose. I started my journey by dancing with the Wii, then Wii fit, then Wii Fitness Coach, then C25K, and the rest is history. ;) I ran my first 5K January 1st, and my first 10K March 31st. Now I'm scaling back the running to about 2-3 miles 3 days a week. I'm doing more strength training and preparing for a Mud Run with my boyfriend and best friend in May! I have my sights set on doing a Sprint Triathlon in November. Going to start biking and swimming. I drink a green smoothie every day. I'm a believer in eating more to lose more. We have slowly cut out fast food from our lives for the most part. My son is now interested in fitness and we are a more active family now. It has been a great journey and the benefits have been more than just scale victories. Hang in there to the new people. If I can do it, I know you can!
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    Welcome Sonya and Stephenie!

You guys could start a mini C25K support group within our 30 something group. Love having all the runners!

Maybe we'll see you on the daily thread?

- Sara Grace