kovoo32 Posts: 29 Member
any info on this subject..please
has anyone here had this done?
does it work?

Replies

• azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm a little negative on the topic. I'm not convinced that an individual learns proper eating habits after the surgery and is therefore at risk of gaining the weight back. One example is one of the singers from Wilson Phillips, I just saw on some show that she had gastric bypass, gained the weight back, then a lap-band and gained the weight back. It seems to me, that if you have to learn good eating habits whether you have the surgery or not, then why pay for the surgery? Plus, maybe, after doing all the work to lose the weight, you'll value your accomplishment more if you don't have the surgery.

I'm not sure that's what you are looking for, but it is my 2 cents.
  • Bevigal
    Bevigal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know several people that have had gastric bypass and all but 1 have gained a lot back. They have all told me however it was worth it.. The biggest complaint they all had is loose saggy skin. My doctor wanted me to have it several years back. I thoroughly researched it and I decided it was too dangerous for me. Lap band is another prochedure you hear a lot about. All have their risks. I would suggest that you check out the internet, there is a lot about it and lap band. Most cities have seminars you can attend to find out more. Good luck to you in whatever method you choose to go with.
  • kovoo32
    kovoo32 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    their all just tools. you still have to work with the tool, learn to eat right, learn what you can and can't eat anymore. it's an individual thing. i too looked into it. bypass was not an option for me, to many stories about what you can't eat anymore, and dumping. i have a friend who did it. said she turned to wine as her food replacement. couldn't have cake at her grandsons bday party. it made her sick. nope not for me. she said it "cured" her diabetes. but, now a few years later she is diabetic again. i don't believe diabetes goes away. you can control it. she also deals with lose skin.
    research it. there is probably a group on here of people who have had it.
    good luck to you.
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chipper15173. You can control diabetes by losing weight. I have a friend who had the lap band surgery done and he is back to his old weight again. Losing weight this way is not easy but if you look at it as a life changing moment it can help.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you need to severely restrict your diet once you have surgery. So maybe it's better to just severely restrict your diet.
  • cheap_thoughts
    cheap_thoughts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've only known one person who did it, and she's still thin. However I hear a lot of stories about people gaining the weight back again, or it not meeting the expectations,

There is however some truth in that people who've gone through the surgery have cured their diabetes. I don't know if there are any active studies on it yet between the connection, but my diabetes educator confirmed it; saying it had something to do with gut flora. She said though that most people stay diabetic even if they lose weight.