Whats on your menu today?

Options

Replies

• susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I need quick low carb lunch ideas. I don't have a lot of time to prepare lunch and need something besides cabbage soup.

When I make dinner each night, I just make a little extra to prep for lunch the next day. I'm almost always some kind of protein (pork chop, chicken, steak, salmon, etc.) and a salad.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I need quick low carb lunch ideas. I don't have a lot of time to prepare lunch and need something besides cabbage soup.

When I make dinner each night, I just make a little extra to prep for lunch the next day. I'm almost always some kind of protein (pork chop, chicken, steak, salmon, etc.) and a salad.

I typically do the same - make extra protein and veggies, and pack the leftovers for lunch the next day. When in a pinch, I keep cans/tins of tuna on hand and make a quick tuna salad. I always make my lunch the night before, so it's easy to just grab & go.

For Easter, we had a rib roast (mmm), asparagus, and rice. And corn, but I skipped the corn. I limited myself to only a half cup of rice, I can tolerate that much.

Breakfast today: 2 sausage patties, hard boiled egg, and 1 T. of almond butter
    Lunch: leftover rib roast & asparagus.
    Dinner: I took some chicken breasts out to thaw, but haven't decided what to do with them yet (probably grill them if I don't come up with something else). And some kind of veggie. Anyone have good ideas for the chicken??
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    for the chicken - pound out, fill with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese (or cream cheese), and roll up. coat in parmesan and seasonings and bake.

for me - my usual breakfast (turkey sausage, oz of smoked cheddar and 2 egg substitute servings)
    lunch is out with my boss - probably the salmon ceasar salad from the restaurant across the street - no croutons!
    dinner is leftovers from yesterday - ham and green beans
    there's probably a jello in there :)
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My parents are doing low carb now, yay!! Mom made the most delicious dessert I have ever tried...She called it Pistachio Fluff.

She said she used sugar-free pistachio pudding mix, 1 cup of half-n-half and 8 oz of cream cheese, blended it all with the mixer and done! OMG. I NEED to go buy some SF pistachio pudding mix soon. Not sure what the carb count is but is was worth it.
  • thecrazy1
    thecrazy1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the carbs in swede but i made swede chips tonight to hve with my sausages. also did a lovely cottage pie but instead of potato i use carrot and swede as the topping oh and some grated cheese could not resist.:wink:
  • MissBriMarie
    MissBriMarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So today I went for lunch with a friend, & panicked over the menus when we walked in. Paninis, bagels, baked potatoes, cakes, pastries. I triumphed in the end, having the scrambled egg & smoked salmon bagel, minus the bagel & with some fresh spinach. They had some amazing sounding sandwich fillings, so I reckon I'll go back there armed with a low carb wrap & ask them to fill & grill it for me.

Has anyone else done that before? I was very paranoid at first about asking for a burger without a bun, or if the coleslaw had any sugar in, but people are actually really helpful so I guess wouldn't mind preparing something in a wrap I bring. The more I eat out without encountering problems, the more I think low carb eating will be long term sustainable for me.

Just a heads up....

Its against health code standards in most places to allow any food from an outside source to be handled or prepared in the establishment. (I'm in the restaurant industry) So you will most likely not be able to have them prepare anything that you bring. You could most certainly wrap it up after they make the rest for you though!

Sorry to burst your bubble. :( Just wanted to save you the disappointment!
  • shar140
    Options
    for the chicken - pound out, fill with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese (or cream cheese), and roll up. coat in parmesan and seasonings and bake.

Thanks for the idea, we even had leftover ham to use!! I didn't coat it in the parm, just (tried) to roll the cream cheese and ham in the chicken and baked - yummy!! But these were like the thickest chicken breasts EVER, lol, so the

Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in bacon drippings, 1 sausage patty, slice of ham, 1 T almond butter (I did a good job of not snacking *too* bad last night, so I was hungry this morning!)

Lunch: leftover chicken-ham-cream cheese rollup, asparagus, tomatoes

Snack: (if I'm hungry) some roast beef deli meat

Dinner: probably leftover rib roast and veggies. I'm craving some faux-tatoes, haha.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    i'm having a pretty 'normal' day of food- tuna salad for lunch and then gammon (Thick ham) steaks with eggs and turnip 'chips' (Fries) for dinner.

But tomorrow I'm going to make a special dinner for my BF (who isnt LCing but likes my cooking regardless...). I'm going to make a spanish 'cauli rice' version of a mixed meat & seafood paella.

here's a rough recipe/list of ingredients I'll be using:

Serves 4- approx 10g carbs per serving

1 medium head cauliflower, riced.
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/4 cup chicken stock, with a pinch of fresh saffron mixed in.
    1/2 large (or 1 small) red pepper, chopped
    4 green onions (spring onions/scallions) sliced
    2 large chicken breasts, chopped
    1 chorizo sausage ring, chopped
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    mixed seafood (I used a bag of frozen squid, mussels & prawns/shrimp but you can use any).
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    So today I went for lunch with a friend, & panicked over the menus when we walked in. Paninis, bagels, baked potatoes, cakes, pastries. I triumphed in the end, having the scrambled egg & smoked salmon bagel, minus the bagel & with some fresh spinach. They had some amazing sounding sandwich fillings, so I reckon I'll go back there armed with a low carb wrap & ask them to fill & grill it for me.

Has anyone else done that before? I was very paranoid at first about asking for a burger without a bun, or if the coleslaw had any sugar in, but people are actually really helpful so I guess wouldn't mind preparing something in a wrap I bring. The more I eat out without encountering problems, the more I think low carb eating will be long term sustainable for me.

Just a heads up....

Its against health code standards in most places to allow any food from an outside source to be handled or prepared in the establishment. (I'm in the restaurant industry) So you will most likely not be able to have them prepare anything that you bring. You could most certainly wrap it up after they make the rest for you though!

Sorry to burst your bubble. :( Just wanted to save you the disappointment!

What state do you live in? I'm in NJ and restaurants prepare gluten free foods for my friend all the time.
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    So today's dinner will be a bit different. Super Target (Archer Farms) brands has several entrees in the ready-made section that are happily very low carb. Tonight I'm trying (but am tempted to make on my own) beef pinwheel steaks with garlic herbed butter, spinach, and parmesan cheese. The beef appears to be ground beef - so it shouldn't be that hard to make.

They also have a bacon and cheddar stuffed pork chop - omg yum!

The only down side is that these are fairly high in sodium (for sitting on grocery shelves), so this may motivate me to make my own.

Yummo :)
  • shar140
    Options
    Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in bacon fat, leftover rib roast, 2 T. almond butter
    Lunch: leftover asparagus & steak, a small sweet potato with butter (need to start adding some carbs for this weekend's rugby tournament)
    Dinner: I know there's leftover cauli and rib roast, so that's an option.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    So today's dinner will be a bit different. Super Target (Archer Farms) brands has several entrees in the ready-made section that are happily very low carb. Tonight I'm trying (but am tempted to make on my own) beef pinwheel steaks with garlic herbed butter, spinach, and parmesan cheese. The beef appears to be ground beef - so it shouldn't be that hard to make.

They also have a bacon and cheddar stuffed pork chop - omg yum!

The only down side is that these are fairly high in sodium (for sitting on grocery shelves), so this may motivate me to make my own.

Yummo :)

Hmm, I think I'll have to go to Target...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Brekkie - 3 eggs scrambled with whole milk, butter, cheese and some cayenne pepper (I like spicy stuff)

Lunch - Spicy Tuna salad smothered in full-monty-whole-egg-what-do-you-mean-leave-the-yolk-out? Mayo

Dinner - Leftover homemade Lamb pie ... My OH cooks on Saturday so I concede some carbs. No point in making this a religious exercise. I'll go easy on the pastry. :)

Snacks - None ... This is what I like about LC living, not feeling hungry and being in touch with your body's needs.

Drinks - Water, water, water, Camomile tea, a smidge of Diet Coke (I know but it's not much) and a generous helping of wine to finish the day.
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Today a 2 egg omelette with cheese, green peppers and bacon and a side of sausage.
    Lunch went awry with a stop for Chinese - I had beef with broccoli and one and a half of those chicken on a stick things on buffets- high carbs <sad face>
    Dinner was good though - I made a "cheeseburger salad" - a bed of lettuce tossed with a 'dressing' made from a table spoon of mayo and a tsp of yellow mustard, topped with a 6 oz beef hamburger patty sprinkled with some chopped 'bread and butter' pickle - my grocery carries a no-sugar-added variety - and an ounce of fresh grated colby cheddar cheese melted on top of the patty. It was quite yum.

For the rest of the week:
    Monday L: pork stuffed bell pepper and salad
    Monday D: cheeseburger on an oopsie bun with a side of sauteed summer squash
    Tuesday L: leftover stuffed pepper with a small salad,
    Tuesday D: salmon and sauteed summer squash
    Wednesday L: rotisserie chicken with broccoli/cauliflower cheese bake
    Wednesday D: stuffed porkchop for dinner with small salad
    Thursday L: More rotisserie chicken with broccoli/cauliflower cheese bake
    Thursday D: stuffed porkchop and salad
    Friday: L: rotisserie chicken with salad
    Friday D: beef fajitas!
  • shar140
    Options
    Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, with cheese and half an avocado
    Lunch: steak & avocado on a salad with blue cheese dressing
    Dinner: I think it will be grilled chicken thighs, as long as it's not too windy for the grill. Grilled or sauteed veggies (bell pepper, mushroom, onion), asian cole slaw (like the kind with ramen noodles, but I leave them out!)

The other night, I got home late (around 8:30) and whipped up a quick dinner of 1 can (tin) of salmon (like the size tuna comes in), added some cottage cheese, spices (garlic powder, chili powder), and asian slaw for some crunch & veggies. Delicious and filling!
  • 86toronado
    Options
    Just ate a yummy dinner, thought I'd share:

I tried to recreate one of my favorite thai dishes, yellow curry noodles with chicken:

I cooked a bag of the tofu shiritaki noodles as directed in the thread on the recipes forum (dry-frying), then took them out of the pan and sauteed a half cup of red pepper slices, and a quarter cup of onion for a few minutes, then added a tbsp. of madras curry powder. Added a little bit of chicken broth to deglaze the pan, then a half cup of heavy cream, and a half cup of coconut milk. Once that was boiling I put in a sliced chicken breast and let it cook and soak up the flavor. Once the chicken was done, added a handful of frozen broccoli, and put the noodles back in. Yum!! I ended up with a lot of the sauce left, because the noodles didn't soak it up like rice noodles would, but other than that, it was a success! Net carb count is 11g, but it's not low-cal at about 370 calories.
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Just ate a yummy dinner, thought I'd share:

That sounds really good! and 370 isn't too bad for calories
  • shar140
    Options
    Decided to try an intermittent fast (IF) day today, so no breakfast.

Lunch: huge salad - half a bag of romaine salad, add a grilled chicken thigh, 1 strip of bacon, half an avocado, 2 small campari tomatoes, 1 hard-boiled egg, and I made an olive oil & rice wine vinaigrette dressing for it. And a string cheese for dessert ;)

Dinner: I grilled some burgers last night along with the chicken, so I'm planning a cheesebuger on a lettuce wrap, side of cottage cheese & tomatoes, and some plain yogurt with strawberries for dessert. I might have a pickle and maybe some baby carrots, since dinner is light on the veggies.
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    Would love to have your recipe for the low carb chili rellenos.
  • sharonwitten
    Options
    Thanks for the Deer recipe idea. I am going to try it.