It's good for me!

Options
thecrazy1
thecrazy1 Posts: 10 Member
I'm so glad there are people out there like me, I thought I was alone. I have been yo-yo dieting for years I lose some weight and then it all goes back on plus some. I have suffered for years with bowel problems also migraines lethagy and other problems I was even tested for celiac disease and was told it was borderline. recently I decided to cut back on the carbs in order to shift some weight but what I discoverd was healthy (ish) eating with no more bowel problems loads more energy and less frequent migraines. I eat loads more vegetables, fish and chicken and some red meat . So why do carbs make people feel so bad? Is there some kind of intolerance?
I must admit it is harder to find low carb foods nowdays, there are loads of (free from) in the supermarket but not much else.
I have manage to cut out bread, pasta, rice and potato. It is difficult to find what to eat every day and it just shows how convienient carbs were but this is a new lifesyle for me so there is no gong back now. I do find reaching my calorie goal of 1500 cals quite hard but any tips greatly appreciated.
Although this is for life I am going to Paris to see an elderly relative i have not seen in 20 years at the end of june and need to shift 3 stone how likely is it?

Thanks

Replies

• PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you read Dr Atkins books. You will find out all about carbohydrates and why you feel so much better without flooding your body with them. He was so far ahead of his time but he really did know what he was talking about. When you lower your carbohydrates it changes the way your body uses insulin.

I have increased the amount of fish I am eating as well as incorporating more salads. I prefer the low carb diet over the low calorie diet. It is easier for me to find things I like to eat when I am counting carbs. And I too have more energy on the carb diet.

I yo yo'd for years. And that is not a good thing to do. I too had IBS but that went away when I had my gastric bypass 18 years ago. I too had migraines for years but that has cleared up.

I don't usually worry about getting in all the calories I am supposed to get here. My goal is 1200 and I usually come in under that. As long as my carb numbers and the fiber numbers are good, so am I. Also are you just counting carbs or are you calculating net carbs?

Hope your visit goes well.
  • thecrazy1
    thecrazy1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will take a look at his books. What do you mean by carbs or net carbs. I just fill in my diary and it says total carbs which are between 19 -40g also what is a good fibre number I should be aiming for.

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I highly encourage reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, which can be found cheap these days. Read that and you'll understand all the terms and the reasons why low carb eating works.

As for your trip to Paris, just avoid the bread and pastries and you'll be fine. The French are actually held up in Dr. Atkins book as proof of a society that eats a ton of meat, cheese, butter, cream, etc and are generally healthier and thinner than other developed countries. Just load up on all the stuff you've been taught in the past is bad for you, stay away from the stuff that is ACTUALLY bad for you (bread) and you'll do just fine.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will take a look at his books. What do you mean by carbs or net carbs. I just fill in my diary and it says total carbs which are between 19 -40g also what is a good fibre number I should be aiming for.

You calculate your net carbs this way. If a tortilla has 10 carbs and 6 grams of fiber, then you subtract the fiber from the carbohydrates and it leaves you with 10-6=4. Your net carbs, the ones you really count is only four. I only worry about the fiber in each food I add to my diary. I haven't bothered to change my level of fiber. You are welcome to friend me and look at my carbs and fibers if you like.

fiber passes out of your body as just what it is, fiber. It is not digested as a carbohydrate. Read this and it will explain more.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/83532-calculate-net-carbs-atkins/