Burn out

Options
Vespyr
Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
When I started this program I was pretty excited and didn't dread going to the gym. This last week has been a crazy struggle though. I'm not tired I'm just burnt out. Like going to the gym today seems like a terrible idea. I know if I don't go I'll feel super guilty. I just don't know what to do. :( I went on Tuesday and it took all my energy to not cry or give up. My final set of squats was only 3 reps...I just couldn't do it. And I don't think this was a physical issue.

Should I just give my body a break and start up again on Monday or push through? I'm only on stage 1, my last workout of 10 reps. So like 2.5/3 weeks left of stage 1.

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Take a break. If you are burned out, you should step away from the weights. Just take few days off or a week and then finish Stage 1. If you don't take the break, you may quit all together if you are burned out, so take a break. Don't feel guilt, just give your mind a rest.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The book mentions just this in the part about taking breaks. I think it was neural fatigue?? Not only do your muscles, bones, connective tissues need a chance to heal, but your mind needs a break too.

I am taking my first full week off at the end of stage 2, and it's fantastic. I want to enjoy lifting and look forward to it, but i was feeling like you are, dreading it. I know in a couple more days i'll be raring to go again.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I burned out when I didn't eat enought. since feeding my body with enought calories, I had bad training days but usually I enter the gym with a smile.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if it's been a while since you've taken a deload week then i'd say push through to finish stage and take a week off.

i started feeling the same about 3 weeks from the end of stage 1. in the meantime, i cut back on the intensity of my cardio and made sure to stretch more. and yes, definitely check that you're eating enough
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was beginning to feel like that. I slipped and pinned my ankle between my running board and my car (ouch) so I took a week off to let the soreness heal up. My first workout after that week was awesome. I agree if you need a break take one. Don't use it as a week to be a bum. Do some walking, find a pretty hike. Then get back to it in a few days.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need to take a week break then take a week break. We all go through it, it's normal and healthy to take a week off now and again. If this ends up being a reoccurring issue than look at your consumption.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    agree with what others have said. Also, if you just need 2-3 days between workouts, that's fine too. Don't feel like you HAVE to get 3 lifts in a week.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I took some time off.. had a couple complete melt downs over the weekend and I think I'm ready to get back on the horse today. I can feel myself slipping into that excuse mindset again...so I must get out of it quick!

I'm a little scared about falling or dropping the weights all of a sudden though...strange.