Restaurants - With and Without GF Menu Items

Options

Replies

• mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is part of the gf menu and they know the protocol for gf and it comes without seasoning on the veggies and they do the meat without demi glaze. Also, the marinara sauce is gf now too. They open a fresh bag for gf guests. I just talked to my friend and she confirmed it for me.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Good! I have friends who have gone to OG and they didn't know and got glutened.
    It is part of the gf menu and they know the protocol for gf and it comes without seasoning on the veggies and they do the meat without demi glaze. Also, the marinara sauce is gf now too. They open a fresh bag for gf guests. I just talked to my friend and she confirmed it for me.
  • mamabear272
    Options
    When they first sit down, have them ask for the gf menu and make sure the server knows that they or you are ordering gf.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to hear Olive Garden and Red Lobster have GF menus! We got a gift card and were afraid to go to olive garden because there wasn't much I could eat, I thought. Thank you for this thread!
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a restaurant to add: Charlie Brown's Steakhouse has a Gluten Free menu.
  • tjchez
    tjchez Posts: 18
    Options
    I live in Traverse City MI and I am recently gluten free and learing to ask for the menu at restaurants is new. Thanks for the ones that do have gluten free. I know Cracker Barrell does here and so does Fire Fly. I am a little scared to eat out for fear of getting sick.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm down here in Florida, some of the places I go are:
    Chipotles,
    Tijuana Flats
    First Watch
    Carrabas
    Jason's Deli
    Frieda's Cafe
    Margaritaville (Yes, I got to have a Cheeseburger in Paradise and fries gluten free!!!!)
    The Universal Studio's Hotels
    Cody's Roadhouse
    Maggiano's
    Serendipity Cafe
    Firestone Pizza
    Ozona Pizza
    Julian's Italian Restaurant

I was surprised to find out that most of the restaurants on Universal's City Walk have gluten free options, I have not been to Disney to see if they do, but I will post if I do.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm in Cornwall, UK and on this side of the water we have little GF outside the cities, but it is getting better. I regularly go somewhere they say they do GF to only find baked potato or salad as an option. :ohwell:

If you're coming over here you might find http://www.coeliacmap.com/ useful.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I tried Outback twice, and will never eat there again. The sodium content in their food is so high, it's disgusting. It was all I could do to keep from gagging. Even their steamed broccoli was high in sodium! Not that this really relates to the GF topic, but it's just something I noticed.

Here in my area, Cap City Diner is about the best accommodating restaurant for GF eating. I miss dinner rolls, and when they introduced GF dinner rolls, I was sold on them.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    dont try olive garden's GF pasta people.. its GROSS. pre packaged, frozen and microwaved when you order. i'm not making it up, the girl even told me - oh, no its not cooked fresh. i was like.. gross. thanks. its not good. they do have a bunch of other things on their GF menu though, the mixed grill is yummmmy.
  • mamabear272
    Options
    dont try olive garden's GF pasta people.. its GROSS. pre packaged, frozen and microwaved when you order. i'm not making it up, the girl even told me - oh, no its not cooked fresh. i was like.. gross. thanks. its not good. they do have a bunch of other things on their GF menu though, the mixed grill is yummmmy.

It's not like that anymore. I have a friend who's a manager and they have new gf pasta. They need to learn how to cook it (needs to be cooked a little longer as do all gf pastas that I've found) but it's ok. Mixed grill is my choice there too! I love it!!
  • kristenlees122
    Options

It's not like that anymore. I have a friend who's a manager and they have new gf pasta. They need to learn how to cook it (needs to be cooked a little longer as do all gf pastas that I've found) but it's ok. Mixed grill is my choice there too! I love it!!

oh my gosh, really?? i havent been since last june. must try it!! thanks for the update :)
  • mamabear272
    Options

oh my gosh, really?? i havent been since last june. must try it!! thanks for the update :)

They rolled it out about 6 months ago. Welcome!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I don't remember seeing it here, but I just read today that Cheeseburger in Paradise has a GF menu, including a GF bun. Haven't tried it personally, though.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I didn't scroll through everyone's responses so I apologize if I'm repeating them. I live in Chicagoland and have found these restaurants have a GF menu/items:

PF Changs
    Biaggi's (full GF menu-the GF pizza is TO DIE FOR!)
    Chipotle (everything is GF but the wheat tortillas-corn are good!)
    Jimmy John's (just get the unwich and ask them to use new gloves and spatulas and make it on paper so as to not to cross contaminate)
    Shaw's Crab House
    Park Street Cafe
    Gino's East-decent GF pizza
    Nirvana (this is one of the more unusual menus for GF!) http://www.findmynirvana.com/

I've also found that the non-chain better restaurants are better able to accommodate you especially if you tell them in advance they can be better prepared.

Edit to add that Deerfields Bakery has AWESOME GF bakery items. I've loved everything I've gotten from them. They have a totally separate kitchen in Schaumburg to make the items GF. Whole Food's tends to carry some of their items, but you'll find the most at their own locations!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I just saw an add and wanted to add Roti. I love their menu and their GF pita's are AWESOME!!!!!

http://www.roti.com/
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am here in L.A. and have had very good experiences at PF Changs and Outback. California Pizza Kitchen has a GF menu, but both times I have ordered off of it, I got glutenized. Also, most Mexican restaurants with "street style" tacos are a safe bet! (out here, anyway). Also- Prohibition Burgers in Encino has really good gf mac and cheese, and all of their burgers are available on greens- no gf buns yet. The sous chef is gluten intolerant, so they know what they are doing! Hugo's resatuarant has a lot of gf options.

Check out www.urbanspoon.com They have restaurants listed as gf, with links to most menus. They have a lot of cities, most major ones and then some as far as I can tell.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Maggiano's has a gluten-free menu or, at least, the chef came out to talk to me about my wheat-allergy and we took it from there. I ordered spumoni for desert and the waiter wouldn't give it to me until he explained that that there might be some cross-contamination because they didn't make it in-house. This Maggiano's was in Schaumburg, IL. From my research, I think they're all like that.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to use www.urbanspoon.com and really like it. The best feature is the one that connects you directly to the restaurants website or gf menu,.

Also, I know that Maggiano's in Schaumburg, IL, will work with you and the pasta was pretty good.

If you're in the Carol Stream or West Chicago, IL and want fast food, Augustino's is the place to go. They have a gluten-free menu and use Udi's breads. I enjoyed that experience, too.
  • gput9059
    gput9059 Posts: 1
    Options
    There is a great app called "find me gluten free" that will pull off of your GPS and find all the gluten free places near you.