Is anyone else tired

Options
beckajw
beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
Is anyone else tired of people on MFP not believing that a BMR can be 1200 or even a little lower. Or that maintenance can be 1500 calories?

I envy those that are eating 2000 calories per day to lose weight, but it annoys me that they think that because they can do it at 5'7", I must be able to do it at 5'0".

Replies

• fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    what i hate is every website you go on tells you something different my bmr has been as low as 1089 and as high as 1380?

I think people under 5ft need a whole new way of looking at BMR, its only good for people above about 5ft 2, we are like the kids, need a separate page in the book.
  • beckajw
    Options
    what i hate is every website you go on tells you something different my bmr has been as low as 1089 and as high as 1380?

I think people under 5ft need a whole new way of looking at BMR, its only good for people above about 5ft 2, we are like the kids, need a separate page in the book.

I agree. I was on a website recently that said mine was 1110. MFP says 1215. I've seen other websites that say 1350. It makes me wonder whether there is any such thing... (a little sarcastic).
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    its pretty annoying, if i ate 2000 calories i would gain weight. People are constantly telling me you dont have to go lower then 1400. but the shorter you are the less colories you burn at rest a day!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's possible your BMR or RMR could be that low, but it's not too likely unless you're really, really small or super close to your goal weight. The most accurate way to find out is of course to get it tested. Most calculators are going to be off.

At 5' even and ~144 lbs mine is about 1440. I burn about 1 calorie per second of every day (and I wear a monitor that shows me that).

I have noticed that as I lose weight my RMR goes down. Sad :( It means we have to exercise that much to make up for it!
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    At 4 ft 10 and 152lbs mine is going down very fast
  • beckajw
    Options
    I suppose it's possible your BMR or RMR could be that low, but it's not too likely unless you're really, really small or super close to your goal weight. The most accurate way to find out is of course to get it tested. Most calculators are going to be off.

At 5' even and ~144 lbs mine is about 1440. I burn about 1 calorie per second of every day (and I wear a monitor that shows me that).

I have noticed that as I lose weight my RMR goes down. Sad :( It means we have to exercise that much to make up for it!

I've actually had mine tested. It's only 1205. The online calculators tend to be high.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I've actually had mine tested. It's only 1205. The online calculators tend to be high.

I totally believe that about the calculators. You poor thing! That's gotta be hard. And I thought my body was efficient!
  • beckajw
    Options

I totally believe that about the calculators. You poor thing! That's gotta be hard. And I thought my body was efficient!

I've had diabetes since I was 11 and a thyroid disease, which leads to my ultra low metabolism.
  • lovetolose112
    Options
    Ohhh... the reply about thyroid disease and ultra low metabolism makes me cringe. I just found out I have a goiter and nodules on my thyroid. I have not been back to the doctor yet, I do have most all symptoms of hypothyrodism, but have not been told anything offficially by the doctor. I do best with low protein diets and will be getting back on it strick tomorrow. My granddaughter is visiting and has a peanut allergy and my protein bars have nuts in them. I just don't feel comfortable opening them with her in the house, not worth her having a reaction of any kind.

Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!!!:happy:
  • staceynewbon
    staceynewbon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's a pain in the butt !!
    Im 4ft8 and 143lbs I tested my bmr and it's only 1100 and it way to little food IM STARVIN MARVIN!!!
    Good luck :-)
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    YES, I am tired. I am trying to use the standard scales and measures but my weight has not budged! I have no idea what is the right thing to do any more!
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Guys, do not use the mfp standards! They are evil.

I was on 1200, 1300 etc for a long time, and now I eat a lot more and have had a good experience.

Your BMR etc relies heavily on how much muscle you have, so if you build more muscle, you can eat more. :)

Freedieting and fat 2 fit radio are both good calcs for slow non-starvation calorie counts.

I have a friend who is 5'4" and is a size 4 and eats 2100 calories a day and is losing. You can probably eat more than you think if you're keeping within your macros.

I will step down from the soapbox now, but everyone please consider making a change. I'm so glad I did.