Problem Area: Arms

Options
newma6
newma6 Posts: 100 Member
Hey everyone! My name is Tricia. I joined MFP on Jan. 1st this year. I just joined this group today. I am looking for some advice and tips for getting rid of my problem area....my arms. I have lost 6.4 pounds so far on my journey. I am currently at 250 pounds. I can already see a slight difference in my stomach and a huge difference in my legs. I have been doing the treadmill everyday and some strength training with weights to a Biggest Loser video I have, a couple of times a week. I'm gonna step it up and try to do the video 4 days a week. Is there anything else I can do to see some results? I have lost a couple of inches off of my entire body, but the arms aren't budging...lol. Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,972 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Low reps and heavy weights.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    continue with some cardio.aim for heavy weights till the last couple reps are extremely difficult
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    I agree with the above two posters. Cardio to shed any excess fat you may have, and then lift heavy weights. Don't be afraid to start with lower weights and build up, so you don't get injured!
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    I am interested in building my arm muscles too. My husband is very fit, but all he does is run and do pushups. I weigh 208lbs and I cannot even push myself off the ground. Are there any exercises that can be done at home without weights to shape up your arms? My biceps aren't that bad but my triceps are really saggy. I do 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and my legs are in great shape.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,972 Member
    Options
    Yolanda, I'm going to recommend you take a look at "New Rules of Lifting for Women", by Lou Schuler.

And head over to the "NROL4W" group here on myfitnesspal.com - and also the group called "women strength-training".

That should help you in your search for increasing your strength work-outs!
  • newma6
    newma6 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice ladies!
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    thank you!
  • kayhatlen
    Options
    Yolanda - you could use canned goods in place of dumbbells at home. Start with 1 lb cans... then eventually you will need real free weights. Hope this helps. :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Pushups work. Try the 100 pushup plan, when I did it, I noticed a difference in my arms after a few weeks. But don't forget, your body decides where it wants to drop weight from, so it may take longer to see a difference in your arms.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am interested in building my arm muscles too. My husband is very fit, but all he does is run and do pushups. I weigh 208lbs and I cannot even push myself off the ground. Are there any exercises that can be done at home without weights to shape up your arms? My biceps aren't that bad but my triceps are really saggy. I do 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and my legs are in great shape.

Try the "knee" pushups, and planks If this is too hard, start with a wall pushup. These are easier, and as you get stronger you can move lower. Maybe the kitchen table, then your bed, and then on the knee! Finally full pushups. You'll get there soon! When I started the 100 pushups I could do about 8 pushups on my knees. Now, even though I have barely done pushups in the 2 years since I started the 100 pushup (I got too slammed to finish) I can still do 3 sets of 15-20 knee pushups. I can only do a couple full ones. I need to practice to get to more full ones!
  • go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues the rest of my body is toning up but my arms are flabby. I have started dips, and get on you knees and use a dumbell and one arm at a time bring your arm back behind you and tighten you tricep. That should help tighten up what I call my arm pillows. Plus whe your arms are more toned it makes your whole apperance seem smaller.
  • go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do dips of a steady chair start out with small reps of 5-8 and increase with strenght. This should help build arm muscle and tighten up the back of your arms. I could barely do 13 pushups but since I have started doing dips I can now do 42. Good luck and keep trying.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My arms tend to look their best after a shoulder workout. I think the more muscular my shoulders are, the more slender the rest of my arm looks.

Anyway, I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme, if that helps you. She includes a lot of lateral raises in shoulder work and yes, there are push ups.