Eggs?

Options
mud314
mud314 Posts: 7 Member
Hey guys, I wanted to get your input on eggs. I'm a guy who enjoys his two eggs in the morning, typically scrambled and then I may add an oz of ham. Sliced tomato.

I am trying to cut my triglycerides and I do see that the eggs bring in a lot of cholesterol to my diet. I do workout and I am adding more each day. Lately I've been walking about 10 miles a day, 25 flights of stairs. During my treadmill walk I wear a weighted vest. So I'm def burning some calories.

My lunches revolve around either all fruit/vegetarian lunch, tuna, chicken and pretty much the same applies to dinner.

Thanks

Replies

• cnorwoodjr
    cnorwoodjr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    While I'm no expert, my doctor always told me that for someone who exercises a lot, the cholesterol in a couple eggs is mostly negligible. The problem is usually that so many foods contain eggs as a primary ingredient, like breading and batters, it brings up the amount of eggs a person is eating per day to somewhere around 5 or 6, packing the cholesterol in to absurd amounts. In your case, it sounds like you don't eat a lot of stuff like that, and you work out a lot, so my opinion is that the breakfast eggs are ok.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Unless you specifically have cholesterol issues, I don't believe that eating eggs is detrimental to your health and well-being. Far from it, eggs are packed with nutrition and make a tasty meal at any time of day.

Having said that, I probably don't eat eggs that often.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I have started to like the bettern' eggs whites-especially when I dice some ham up with it... the bettern' eggs whole eggs are a little too moist for me. I'd look into that route since I'm scrambling.....
  • mud314
    mud314 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....I was thinking the same thing. it's just tough seeing my daily allowance of cholesterol well over the 300 mark and when I look back it's on my breakfast that I "screwed" things up.

While I don't have have high cholesterol, I do have high triglycerides, my HDL and LDL cholesterol are all well within normal range and actually my good cholesterol is well above the normal range. The only thing bad in my last physical was the triglycerides. That's what started my madness of more cardio and this week I re-intro the weight lifting and going to start jumping rope. Keeping my body guessing all the time. Hell I'm even going to buy the Zumba for Xbox. I love dancing but at 44 the bar scene is no longer my thing.

jross, I did go ahead and get me some egg whites yesterday @ Trader Joe's so this will be my first attempt at egg white only. I've tried others in the past, the ones that add the food coloring to make them look more like full eggs. Not a fan of adding unnatural things to my body when it comes to food, so coloring in my pov is best left for painting :P.

Again, thanks for all who responded.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....I was thinking the same thing. it's just tough seeing my daily allowance of cholesterol well over the 300 mark and when I look back it's on my breakfast that I "screwed" things up.

While I don't have have high cholesterol, I do have high triglycerides, my HDL and LDL cholesterol are all well within normal range and actually my good cholesterol is well above the normal range. The only thing bad in my last physical was the triglycerides. That's what started my madness of more cardio and this week I re-intro the weight lifting and going to start jumping rope. Keeping my body guessing all the time. Hell I'm even going to buy the Zumba for Xbox. I love dancing but at 44 the bar scene is no longer my thing.

jross, I did go ahead and get me some egg whites yesterday @ Trader Joe's so this will be my first attempt at egg white only. I've tried others in the past, the ones that add the food coloring to make them look more like full eggs. Not a fan of adding unnatural things to my body when it comes to food, so coloring in my pov is best left for painting :P.

Again, thanks for all who responded.
    let me know how you like them.. I haven't tried them alone, only with diced ham or cheese mixed in, but I did like them better than the regular..
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I found this article Are eggs bad for your heart? really interesting it's well worth a read

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/whatsgoodforyou/theshow/693988/are-eggs-bad-for-your-heart
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Triglycerides elevated content on blood tests would be more related to "baked goods" from what I was told by a couple Dr's.

I use one egg and then 1/2 cup of something like egg beaters - gives you some of the "body" like a couple eggs but I also have no issue with just having plain old eggs anytime I want them.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I found this article Are eggs bad for your heart? really interesting it's well worth a read

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/whatsgoodforyou/theshow/693988/are-eggs-bad-for-your-heart
    Eggcellent :laugh:

I've bookmarked that article as it corroborates succinctly all the studies I've read recently. :happy:

Gotta eat more eggs :tongue: