1200 calories per day person here

Options

Replies

• Milkyglass
    Options
    Hi All.

Im new to myfitnesspal and Im eating 1200 calories a day too. I'm also practicing Paleo eating so no Grains( carbs), Dairy, Sugar, Processed Foods or Legumes. People have also been giving me the side eye but I just don't believe that you lose weight by eating. Burn more calories than you consume right? Surprisingly I find it sometimes hard to meet the 1200 and end up coming up short especially if I add in exercise. Any one else having this problem? I eat mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats and drinks plenty of water so i'm not eating anything crazy. I may have a a few small ( and I mean very small, like a bite or two) of cheats so I dont feel too deprived but I feel like I'm on the right track so far. And I love eggs!

Anyways I wanted to introduce myself to the group and get some moral support for us low calorie folks! Peace and Blessings
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi All.

Im new to myfitnesspal and Im eating 1200 calories a day too. I'm also practicing Paleo eating so no Grains( carbs), Dairy, Sugar, Processed Foods or Legumes. People have also been giving me the side eye but I just don't believe that you lose weight by eating. Burn more calories than you consume right? Surprisingly I find it sometimes hard to meet the 1200 and end up coming up short especially if I add in exercise. Any one else having this problem? I eat mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats and drinks plenty of water so i'm not eating anything crazy. I may have a a few small ( and I mean very small, like a bite or two) of cheats so I dont feel too deprived but I feel like I'm on the right track so far. And I love eggs!

Anyways I wanted to introduce myself to the group and get some moral support for us low calorie folks! Peace and Blessings

Hi, welcome :flowerforyou:

I'm totally with you on this one, I do not believe you lose weight by eating more either, hell if that really were the case I wouldn't be here, dieting trying to lose the weight in the first place LOL.

I love eggs, they are one of my favourite foods and oranges, I adore oranges lol.

Sometimes I feel as though people say "eat more" because it is easy to say and requires no effort on the part of the person to look into the problem of the one actually having the problem losing weight and asking why on the forums.

It could go along the lines of something like this:

"I am on 55,000 calories per day, but can lose no weight. What can I do?"

"Eat more"

:huh:
  • Milkyglass
    Options
    Haha! So true! and if one more person tries to tell me about starvation mode I'm going to scream! :explode: I have more than a enough fat that my body can munch on until it move on to the next. lol!
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just looked back for the past month of march and I have lost 4 lbs so I guess I am losing slowly but surely on 1200 calories a day. I have finally added a walking program 3-5 days a week so that should help. It just seems I've been overweight forever now. I'm getting really confused about daily calories on the foru s because it seems that everyone is now I to eating more. My husband was trying to point out to me that I've been counti g calories and dieti g for several years now but I always eat my I e cream and I always order fries when we go out. He thinks I need to ear better and less-- not more. I think he might be right so after raising my calories for a couple of days, I lowered them back to 1200 which will allow me to lose a pou d a week and I will make better choices with my food. So glad I found this group because it is really confusing out in the general forums right now.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I just looked back for the past month of march and I have lost 4 lbs so I guess I am losing slowly but surely on 1200 calories a day. I have finally added a walking program 3-5 days a week so that should help. It just seems I've been overweight forever now. I'm getting really confused about daily calories on the foru s because it seems that everyone is now I to eating more. My husband was trying to point out to me that I've been counti g calories and dieti g for several years now but I always eat my I e cream and I always order fries when we go out. He thinks I need to ear better and less-- not more. I think he might be right so after raising my calories for a couple of days, I lowered them back to 1200 which will allow me to lose a pou d a week and I will make better choices with my food. So glad I found this group because it is really confusing out in the general forums right now.

*waves at Milky*

hi Jan!

Sent you a friend request x
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Another 1200 here. I don't eat my exercise calories back intentionally but don't worry when I do eat them back. I'm short, so eating my calories back still usually means 1500 max. MFP has me set at 1200 for all levels of activity except for very active, and for that they still only set me at 1350. To me, that means I should not be eating back my exercise calories purposefully all the time. Sometimes sure. Especially on days I lift, I like to try to get higher protein. But I don't think I'm going to suffer from shooting to stick to 1200. I'm 122.6 lbs, so much more than that equals maintenance for me.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Another 1200 here. I don't eat my exercise calories back intentionally but don't worry when I do eat them back. I'm short, so eating my calories back still usually means 1500 max. MFP has me set at 1200 for all levels of activity except for very active, and for that they still only set me at 1350. To me, that means I should not be eating back my exercise calories purposefully all the time. Sometimes sure. Especially on days I lift, I like to try to get higher protein. But I don't think I'm going to suffer from shooting to stick to 1200. I'm 122.6 lbs, so much more than that equals maintenance for me.

Sometimes I go into my exercise calories by 50 or 100, other than that I leave them. I have to admit that so far it is working, just 10lbs left to go, so I am going all out not to try and get rid of the last lot hehe
  • Milkyglass
    Options
    Hi again 1200ers! A big thank you to DecemberChild and Di3012 for their constant support. It makes it so much better if we can support one another so add me! Milkyglass
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    i started with MFP in feb 2011. In that time ive lost 28 kilos.. Most of that 28 kilos was lost in the first 6 months. Then i started frequenting the MFP "website".. where i learned that i was "appreently in starvation mode" & was undereating, as i wasnt netting 1200.. Or that i wasnt eating enough.. this or that.. well ive pretty much only lost 5 kilos since august!!!

Well ive had a gut full.. 1200 calories works for me & doing it other peoples way has seriously stalled my progress... As of yesterday, im back to basics & back to 1200!!!! if you eat the correct foods, you can be eating ALL DAY.. Instead of bindging on **** food, just to "make up calories".....

thats my rant over!
  • Di3012
    Options
    i started with MFP in feb 2011. In that time ive lost 28 kilos.. Most of that 28 kilos was lost in the first 6 months. Then i started frequenting the MFP "website".. where i learned that i was "appreently in starvation mode" & was undereating, as i wasnt netting 1200.. Or that i wasnt eating enough.. this or that.. well ive pretty much only lost 5 kilos since august!!!

Well ive had a gut full.. 1200 calories works for me & doing it other peoples way has seriously stalled my progress... As of yesterday, im back to basics & back to 1200!!!! if you eat the correct foods, you can be eating ALL DAY.. Instead of bindging on **** food, just to "make up calories".....

thats my rant over!

Basically, that is exactly how I feel about it all too, so welcome back :flowerforyou:
  • esballet
    esballet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I joined MFP a few weeks ago and I'm new to this group. I'm trying to stick to 1200-1300 calories a day. Anyone should feel free to add me as a friend:))
  • Di3012
    Options

The walking will definitely help! People often underestimate walking but it is fantastic exercise that doesn't put a strain on the joints.

Regarding the fries, yes, next time you go out for a meal, try something else, perhaps a jacket potato etc. Definitely worth a try!
  • iamdomino2
    Options
    Hey there! I'm getting better and better at paying attention to my food. I still "indulge" once in a while and eat pizza or tacos, but have learned to plan ahead and enter my food before I'm going to eat. This gives me a better idea of what I'm eating and how it will effect my calorie intake for the day. I've definitely cut down on snacking at work, too, which is helping a lot. Instead of getting a bag of chips out of the machine, I take a little bowl of orange or strawberry slices to munch on. It's nice to know there are a lot of other people that have the same goal as me...I'm sure I'll check in on this group often for support. =) Thank you!!
  • Di3012
    Options
    Hey there! I'm getting better and better at paying attention to my food. I still "indulge" once in a while and eat pizza or tacos, but have learned to plan ahead and enter my food before I'm going to eat. This gives me a better idea of what I'm eating and how it will effect my calorie intake for the day. I've definitely cut down on snacking at work, too, which is helping a lot. Instead of getting a bag of chips out of the machine, I take a little bowl of orange or strawberry slices to munch on. It's nice to know there are a lot of other people that have the same goal as me...I'm sure I'll check in on this group often for support. =) Thank you!!

Hi! :D

It's a great idea to plan your food. Many a time I have logged mine at the beginning of the day, more often than not I tend to stick to it, but if something does change then I amend it before I complete for the day.

Having said that, I have left my dinner off today, I can't decide what to have tonight, I'll wait and see how I feel, the rest is there though.
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just started trying to eat 1200 calories about a week ago. Sometimes Im finding Im going over a little bit. Still trying to get the willpower to say no to a few things. Hoping this will work along with exercise. Im tired of being heavy. :)
  • Di3012
    Options
    I just started trying to eat 1200 calories about a week ago. Sometimes Im finding Im going over a little bit. Still trying to get the willpower to say no to a few things. Hoping this will work along with exercise. Im tired of being heavy. :)

hi Krissy!

It's extremely important that you watch what you eat, if you load up on protein, it tends to keep you full for longer and you may not feel as though you want to snack inbetween - I think that's why I tend to eat a lot of eggs lol
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I generally dont have a huge problem with 1200-1300 calories per day. My problem is getting those calories in healthy forms :tongue: How many people out there are trying to eat healthy only to have ones friends and spouse constantly bringing in junk food. "Lets just get Chinese tonight, I'm not in the mood for brown rice and chicken!" I dont have much of a problem resisting the brownies, icecream and other sweets, BUT chinese, pizza, tacco etc are my weakness! I dont eat them when I'm alone, just when others are eating them in front of me.
    So my question is "How do you get your spouse (and/or friends) to help you eat healthy!? Do you just cook your own food seperately? Do you force your spouse to follow you dietary habits (mine is NOT health conscientious. I love him to pieces but sometimes I wish he cared...it would help)
    Do you have healthy recipes that disuise their healthiness?
    Share your insights with me please! :smile:
  • Di3012
    Options
    I generally dont have a huge problem with 1200-1300 calories per day. My problem is getting those calories in healthy forms :tongue: How many people out there are trying to eat healthy only to have ones friends and spouse constantly bringing in junk food. "Lets just get Chinese tonight, I'm not in the mood for brown rice and chicken!" I dont have much of a problem resisting the brownies, icecream and other sweets, BUT chinese, pizza, tacco etc are my weakness! I dont eat them when I'm alone, just when others are eating them in front of me.
    So my question is "How do you get your spouse (and/or friends) to help you eat healthy!? Do you just cook your own food seperately? Do you force your spouse to follow you dietary habits (mine is NOT health conscientious. I love him to pieces but sometimes I wish he cared...it would help)
    Do you have healthy recipes that disuise their healthiness?
    Share your insights with me please! :smile:

Hubby and I have the same meals, he just has larger portions.

We never seem to have takeaways nowadays and if we eat out, I usually have a steak or something, so it is high in protein.

I am very fortunate in that he doesn't really like pizza or burgers.

Regarding people eating in front of me, I just keep in mind that I will never lose the weight if I do not stick to my eating plan, so I have two choices, either stick to it or don't, but I always have to take full responsibility and with that responsibility comes the rewards - namely, that the weightloss will have been due to my own efforts and nothing else ;)
  • xgailwx
    xgailwx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am on 1200 calories per day. I was getting a little fed-up at the continual griping on the main forum regarding how "little" 1200 calories is though.

Personally, I think it works.

hey, iv just joined this group and started a 1200 calorie a day plan....iv heard sooo many mixed opinions on here that im feeling very confused! im going to stick at this for now tho until i see if im getting the results i hope for!

any 1200ers please feel free to add me, it would be nice to have some support from like minded people
  • earthquick
    earthquick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am Madeleine, 29 years old around 5'1'' and 134 lbs. I have lost about 10 pounds in the past 4-5 weeks and I have not been starving myself at all. I cut out so much junk food and everyone is right, it is about eating the right stuff. Here are some examples of my meals, in case anyone need some ideas. I find its easier to keep it simple and repeat the same meals over and over. Eats LOTS of veggies and fruits with every meal, it fills you up.

BREAKFAST:
    - egg white omelette (or add a regular egg too) with frozen spinach and low fat feta cheese. You can also bake a tomato or add some low-fat turkey bacon
    - whole grain cereal with skim milk plus fruit

LUNCH/DINNER: I cook all of these in a small non-stick pan with a little olive oil
    - Whole wheat wraps with chicken breast, onions, frozen mixed vegatables
    - Chicken breast or salmon (I use the frozen ones from Wamart) with cut green beans or other veggies and add lentils.
    - whole wheat thins with chicken breast, lettuce, tomato with veggies on the side

SNACKS:
    - Baby carrots with home made hummus
    - Apple
    - Yoghurt
    - Almonds

I still like to eat out, but I split my meals with my wonderful husband. If I know we are going out for dinner, I eat a salad before we leave the house on stuff up on baby carrots or something. Also drink tons of water.