How often?

Options
Do you weigh and take measurements? I know its more about losing inches but have decided to only weigh once a Month. I know if I do once a week, I will get discouraged. I was thinking of taking measurements every 2 weeks. How often do you do these? Do you even notice a difference in measurements every 2 weeks? Should that be once a month as well? Do you take pics? If so how often? Sorry for all the questions.

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week, on Wednesday mornings. Now I probably weigh once or twice a month, on Wednesday mornings. If I'm within a 2 pound swing I don't record it.

I haven't taken measurements in 6 months.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit scale addicted. I weigh officially once/week, but usually more often than that. I justify it by saying it will give me a more accurate calorie count on the treadmill/elliptical (since I don't have a HRM to use) if I put in my actual weight that day. I'm definitely seeing it fluctuate with water retention from lifting though, so I may need to reconsider.

Measurements, I take monthly. I don't think I'd see measurable change any faster than that.

Pictures, I haven't taken yet, but know I should. Maybe I'll ask DH to take some tonight, and then again after every stage? I think monthly sounds good too if you want them more often.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take measurements, once a month or so, usually first thing on a Sunday morning (because I mean to do it Saturday but then forget and eat and drink before I remember...)

I guess I'm just not sure I trust scales, I mean as a measure of fitness. A pound can be waste in my intestines (sorry) or sweaty clothes or fat or muscle... but an inch is an inch.
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options
    My daughter and I made a promise at the end of March that we would take our measurements and weight, and not get on the scale again for one month. We would instead gauge our success by how well we had followed our program. I failed miserably. I have gotten on the scale several times. It is a very difficult habit to break. But I am getting better about it! I think measurements should be once a month. I did take pix about 2 weeks ago too. I find that helpful.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm forever weighing myself, but I'm very well aware of fluctuations, etc. I took measurements at the beginning of Stage 1 and will take them again at the end of each stage. That will be the only progress I'll go by.