squat weight question

Options
i know this doesn't actually matter, but i still want to know: when you guys record the weight you are squatting, do you include the bar weight? or do you just record the weight of the plates you add? i know that all that really matters is how much i'm improving, but i still would like to be able to gauge how much of a weakling i am compared to others. if y'all are lifting 110lbs of plates IN ADDITION to the bar, then i'm going to just go cry in a corner somewhere. thanks in advance!

Replies

• TheReese1206
    Options
    I do not include the bar in my records.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I'm using an Olympic bar I include the weight, 45 pounds is substantial and plates + bar = the true lifting weight. When I'm using a bar under 10 pounds (when I'm visiting my sister and using her home equipment for example) I don't include the weight of the bar mostly because I don't know the weight of those bars.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I started with just the bar to practice, but it was a little light. I did my first week at 65lbs, and I'm going to 75lbs this week.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    That bar weighs 45 lb., so you bet I count it! That's all I've done so far, but if I add a 5 lb. plate on each side, I'd count that as squatting 55 lb.
  • jwallace1024
    jwallace1024 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ok, thanks. that's what i wanted to know. i've been counting the bar, but i'm still only at 70lbs. when it occurred to me that y'all might be logging "110 lbs" as being 110 lbs of PLATES (not including the 45lb bar), i was about to just pack up my toys and go home.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you include the bar? It is "weight," so you'd better believe I'm counting it! :happy:
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep I count it.
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That sucker weighs 45lbs! Count it!
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I totally count it! It's so heavy :)