Hi, I'm Becca!

Options
fourluvbugs
fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
Hi everyone, I'm Becca. A 39 year old mama to four who is very decidedly apple shaped. In high school I bought men's jeans. They just fit better. Later on I started wearing jeans that either pinched my waist or were baggy on my legs. Sigh. Since I put on weight I like elastic waisted pants for their comfort... but they are absolutely horrid for my psyche! I need to lose the elastic waists.

I started my journey to health in February at 207 pounds. I still have a long ways to go, but I'm 13 pounds in and that's a great start. Naturally, all the weight so far has come from places that are not my tummy. Naturally the place where I most need to lose weight is my tummy. The curse of the apple shape, right?

I'm super excited about this apple group and I hope that others are, too. I always feel alone as I drool over the hourglass shapes that others have, and most days I'd happily trade for the narrow waist and heavier hips and thighs of a pear. But this is my shape, so I need to learn to love it and to work it. :)

Replies

• quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca! My daughter's name is Rebecca :) heehee.
    Congrats on losing 13 pounds since February! That is wonderful! It'll come off. :) My tummy has been the most frustrating area. I have not always been apple shaped, I was pretty hourglass shaped up until I had my first daughter (7 years ago).

I'm excited too! Sometimes I feel like it's hard to relate to others because they just don't have the same body type - therefore not quite the same 'struggles'!

Nice to meet you! :)
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group, Becca. I am 41 and have a 9 year old daughter. I have always been apple shaped. I don't like to say I'm on a diet. I have made lifestyle changes and one of my goals is to lose weight. I was 150 lbs last June, and now I am 132 lbs. So I'm not breaking any weight loss records, but if you lose slowly, you are more likely to keep it off. I would like to be 120 lbs. I am not quite 5'2 so this would put me in the mid range of my BMI.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you Becca (and other apple mamas). How did getting pregnant/giving birth affect your hips? Did it make them more proportionate to your chest measurement? I'm banking on bigger hips when I have babies but maybe I shouldn't.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have one child. I think my hips got a little wider but not too much. You can never tell what pregnancy and childbirth will do to your body. I can only tell you that it will change.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've had four babies, but since the last three I've been heavy. My heavy self looks a little more hourglass-y than my skinny self did before I had kids, so I guess here's hoping that my hips will be a touch wider (giving me the illusion of a waist HA!) after the weight comes off. Its all still overwhelmed by my big belly. Sigh.