Introductions

Options

Replies

• whatwouldmulderdo
    whatwouldmulderdo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    I am new to MFP. I have had food allergies and food intolerances for my whole life (I am 26), so if anyone needs some recipes, help, or someone to talk to you can friend me.
    I am severely allergic to tree nuts, shellfish, and peanuts. I have oral allergy syndrome as well as an intolerance to milk (not just lactose), gluten, and apples (maybe a fructose sensitivity). I also have a mild intolerance to eggs and soy (I still eat them but in small amounts).

Good luck to everyone!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone!
  • slroberts55
    slroberts55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For those allergic to peanuts - remember that they are in the same family with beans, not nuts, so you may need to avoid soy and other beans. I had a hard time convincing my husband not to have peanut butter in the house - and we tried various other butters. Finally, we found Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds) and he is satisfied with this.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am celiac, and so no gluten for me (causes terrible stomach upset plus depression and "brain fog").

I recently developed an allergy to soy (gives me blinding migraines and neck pain that no medicine can help with).

I am lactose intolerant (so no cow's milk or I feel nauseous) and allergic to most dairy products (hives, migraines) but I don't seem to have trouble with raw, grass-fed cow butter.

I'm allergic to MSG (hives, migraines), so I have to be very careful about processed foods since MSG goes by so many different names on the labels and I can't remember them all.

I'm allergic to wine (headache, dizziness, vomiting) and I can't drink beer, but I sure do love a good cocktail.

I have a bunch of seasonal allergies as well including ragweed and especially oak. Cleaning up my diet has helped a bit, and I use raw, local honey as my sweetener of choice -- which is good for combating pollen allergies and, besides, I can't stand the taste of stevia, xylitol or any other artificial sweetener.

I'm also allergic to many antibiotics, hypersensitive to steroids, and I have a hormone imbalance, so I can't eat meat products unless they are grass-fed and raised without the use of hormones, antibiotics or steroids. My stomach doesn't digest red meat well, so I stick to fowl from local, organic farms and organic, farm-raised fish and shellfish. We raise chickens on a free-range/kitchen compost diet, so I also eat our backyard eggs.

I'm glad this group exists. I got glutened a few days ago and I'm still trying to recover. It feels so lonely to not be able to eat whatever I want like I used to!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    You sound much like me. You'll see soy in my diary, but everything else should be safe for you. Feel free to browse and ask for advice/recipes.

I am celiac, and so no gluten for me (causes terrible stomach upset plus depression and "brain fog").

I recently developed an allergy to soy (gives me blinding migraines and neck pain that no medicine can help with).

I am lactose intolerant (so no cow's milk or I feel nauseous) and allergic to most dairy products (hives, migraines) but I don't seem to have trouble with raw, grass-fed cow butter.

I'm allergic to MSG (hives, migraines), so I have to be very careful about processed foods since MSG goes by so many different names on the labels and I can't remember them all.

I'm allergic to wine (headache, dizziness, vomiting) and I can't drink beer, but I sure do love a good cocktail.

I have a bunch of seasonal allergies as well including ragweed and especially oak. Cleaning up my diet has helped a bit, and I use raw, local honey as my sweetener of choice -- which is good for combating pollen allergies and, besides, I can't stand the taste of stevia, xylitol or any other artificial sweetener.

I'm also allergic to many antibiotics, hypersensitive to steroids, and I have a hormone imbalance, so I can't eat meat products unless they are grass-fed and raised without the use of hormones, antibiotics or steroids. My stomach doesn't digest red meat well, so I stick to fowl from local, organic farms and organic, farm-raised fish and shellfish. We raise chickens on a free-range/kitchen compost diet, so I also eat our backyard eggs.

I'm glad this group exists. I got glutened a few days ago and I'm still trying to recover. It feels so lonely to not be able to eat whatever I want like I used to!
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with a TON of food allergies. I am trying desperately to avoid the foods on my list, but its so long I'm having a really hard time. I like doing a protein shake in the AM because I pretty much hate breakfast food, but am having a hard time finding one that I can have that isn't hideous.
    Allergies: Peppers (all), avocado, carrot, celery, corn, green bean, onion, tomato, Melons (all) pineapple, all nuts, all seeds honey and soy.

The allergist I saw as useless as tits on a bull as was a nutritionist I saw. I'm trying to figure this out on my own...and any help would be appreciated!!!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    So it looks like all animal products (meats, dairy, eggs) are okay for you. You'll find a lot of recipes for those in low-carb, paleo, atkins, south beach, etc. diet books. Breakfast could be an omelet, a homemade shake or smoothie, oatmeal, cold cereal, pancakes, hash browns, etc. They all look okay. If you don't like breakfast foods, then don't eat them! Eat leftovers from supper the night before, make a baked potato, have some soup, a bowl of rice or stir fried veggies, whatever. There's nothing that says you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast.

Culinary Fruits - only melons and pineapple are out, so you're okay with apples, pears, oranges, bananas, berries, rhubarb, tropical fruits other than pineapple, grapes, kiwis, stone fruits, and all kinds of other fruits that you might not have tried - dragon fruit, starfruit, etc. Look for some ethnic grocers in your area and see what they stock!

Beans - I don't see anything but green beans on your list, so all kinds of other beans, peas, and lentils are possibilities. Even though you can't have any kinds of peppers, you can still make various kinds of mild curries mixing your own spices. We adore lentil soup around here, and there are so many different ways to make it.

Veggies - Cooking without peppers and tomatoes is hard. And if carrots, celery, and corn have been your go-to veggies, then this is probably the area where you are having the most problems. So let's look at some possibilities.

Corn - corn is really hard to avoid. Not only is in in just about every processed food (modified food starch, spice mixes, glucose/fructose, etc.) but corn starch is also used to lubricate boxes and bags, so you have to know you could be getting contaminated there without it ever being on the ingredients label. You need to cook from scratch as much as possible. If you do that, you will also be avoiding soy, which again is an additive in a lot of foods. If you cook from scratch and avoid tofu, tempeh, and edamame, you're probably okay. Check your protein shake, it probably has some kind of soy in it.

Tomatoes - There are a number of "nomato" products and recipes around, but I have not been impressed with any that I have tried. Instead of trying to replicate a red sauce, focus on other sauces and dressings that could be used instead - pesto, hummus, cream sauces, oil and herbs, etc. I know a lot of people who have used these alternatives on pizza, pasta, etc. Since peppers, carrots, and corn are also out for you, add some colour to your salads with fruits rather than veggies, purple cabbage, black beans, radishes, or other garnishes.

onion - assuming that garlic is still okay, you can boost the flavour of a lot of recipes by adding or increasing the garlic when you eliminate the onions. If garlic is also out, take a look at hare krishna recipes, which do not use garlic or onion, but rely on other spices instead.

All nuts and seeds - I would question this. Probably it means peanuts, tree nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and maybe pumpkin seeds, which are generally all processed on the same equipment and end up cross contaminated. But what about flax? Quinoa? Grains? Hemp hearts? Chia? Coconut (processed yourself, not on the same equipment as nuts). What about water chestnut? What about jackfruit or durian seeds that you process yourself? I'd get a lot more direction here, find out exactly what nuts and seeds you need to avoid.

Carrots, celery, corn, and green beans - are these all of the veggies that you normally eat? When you have a leaky gut, you tend to be allergic to the foods that you eat the most. How allergic are you? Are you able to eat them in a rotation diet? Are they red, yellow, or green allergies? Look around your grocer and start eating crucifers, leafy greens, other roots like parsnips and turnips, radishes, etc. How are squashes and cucumbers? Are they okay or eliminated because they are in the same family as melons?

Potato and sweet potato don't appear on your list, so you can probably use them pretty freely as well. Maybe some fries, hash browns, baked potato, potato patties, shepherd's pie, potato soup, etc.

No fungi or sea vegetables on your list. How about sushi? Mushrooms?

If you want to message me with your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you my food families chart, which will help you figure out lots of foods that you can eat, instead of just foods that you can't!

I've recently been diagnosed with a TON of food allergies. I am trying desperately to avoid the foods on my list, but its so long I'm having a really hard time. I like doing a protein shake in the AM because I pretty much hate breakfast food, but am having a hard time finding one that I can have that isn't hideous.
    Allergies: Peppers (all), avocado, carrot, celery, corn, green bean, onion, tomato, Melons (all) pineapple, all nuts, all seeds honey and soy.

The allergist I saw as useless as tits on a bull as was a nutritionist I saw. I'm trying to figure this out on my own...and any help would be appreciated!!!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

If you want to message me with your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you my food families chart, which will help you figure out lots of foods that you can eat, instead of just foods that you can't!

You are AMAZING!!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have no clue if the will be helpful for the bread substitute - there is a bred version at the bottom of this. It was posted by someone on my mow carb group. Good Luck
    - L

I'm going to dedicate this thread to low carb 'MIM's, which for those of you who are unfamiliar with the MIM, these are low carb flax meal muffins, which cook in the microwave in a mere 65 seconds!

Here is the recipe and the method for the original muffin recipe:

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber) which is 30 grams in weight
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
    1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
    1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
    1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute. Try one of the following toppings:

Butter
    Cream cheese
    Almond butter
    Sugar free Jam

Savory Version:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Pinch of salt & black pepper
    Herb/spices of choice*
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

* Any dried herbs, I like rosemary or sage. You could also add whichever spices you like, so you have a savory bread to compliment your meal- like adding chili flakes to go with low carb chili.

Chocolate Muffin:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

(5 net carbs)

Try serving the chocolate muffin:

-With whipped or runny heavy cream
    - With a sugar free pouring syrup (fudge, vanilla, chocolate).
    - Topped with chocolate cream cheese frosting (Made by combining cream cheese, 1 tsp splenda and 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder)

Lemon Poppy Seed MIM:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 tsp Lemon extract
    1/4 tsp poppy seeds
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

4 net carbs,

Try with:

-Whipped or runny heavy cream.
    - Sugar free lemon syrup.
    - Low carb Lemon curd: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/lemon_curd.html
    - Cream cheese & lemon frosting: Mix cream cheese with splenda (1 tsp) and lemon extract.

Mocha (coffee chocolate) MIM:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1 packet splenda
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp ground instant coffee
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

(5 net carbs)

MIM recipe & method for sliced bread:

1) Make up the MIM basic mixture without sweetener or spices.

2) Add your desired herbs/spices.

3) Then take a square or rectangular lid from a tupperware-type microwaveable safe dish.

3) Spread half of the MIM mixture on the top of the lid, and microwave as usual, for 60 seconds. When it is cooked turn the lid upside down and just 'pop' the 'slice of bread' onto your worktop or a plate. Repeat this process, letting the second slice cool.

Use your MIM bread as you would with regular bread, you can toast it, or make grilled cheese, or make mini pizzas, or sandwiches.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Finding food to eat when you have a wheat or gluten intolerance/allergy is common I'm finding. I'm glad you posted your recipes, they sound good and easy to make.
  • ColleenPosley
    Options
    My name is Colleen. I'm trying to lose weight by eating more fruit (because I would actually trade chocolate for fruit on most days), but I'm allergic to coconut and pineapple. Coconut is easy enough to avoid normally, but... Turns out that a lot of manufacturers use pineapple juice as a natural preservative in their fruit items. Which means I forget to read the label, take a bite, get an itchy throat and develop hives all within about 2 hours. [sigh] I also live in Oregon, so during the winter, the only fruit we get is shipped or canned - usually in pineapple juice. So I need to figure out how to do this without ending up in the hospital once a week. [fingers crossed]
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Why not get raw fruit instead of canned or precut? I live further north than you, and we still get fresh fruit.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have had food issues my entire life. I was a cranky colicy baby, probably due to my milk allergy. I went to a number of allergy doctors and was told that is was all in my head and I didn't have allergies. A couple of years ago I tried the elimination diet. I felt great while on the limited food part. No headaches, no up set stomach, not congestion, no brain fog. But I had trouble linking specific foods to specific ailments. I would just go from super restrictive elimination phase to eating everything.

Then last year my dr had me do the blood test for food sensitivities. I found that there are many foods that cause problems.

wheat/gluten
    dairy and all cheeses
    yogurt/ yogurt culture
    peanuts
    sesame
    safflower
    garlic
    bakers yeast
    coffee
    salmon
    rye

I also have one daughter who is vegan and one who is vegetarian. My husband, step-daughter and youngest daughter are self described omnivores who occasionally want meat in their food. So it makes finding family friendly recipes difficult.

I have to agree that I am often overwhelmed with trying to plan out food, not only for myself, but for the rest of my family.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Most of the stuff in my diary should be okay for you, other than the obvious peanut butter or bread (grain free and dairy free, but not yeast free). Feel free to ask!
    Hello all,

I have had food issues my entire life. I was a cranky colicy baby, probably due to my milk allergy. I went to a number of allergy doctors and was told that is was all in my head and I didn't have allergies. A couple of years ago I tried the elimination diet. I felt great while on the limited food part. No headaches, no up set stomach, not congestion, no brain fog. But I had trouble linking specific foods to specific ailments. I would just go from super restrictive elimination phase to eating everything.

Then last year my dr had me do the blood test for food sensitivities. I found that there are many foods that cause problems.

wheat/gluten
    dairy and all cheeses
    yogurt/ yogurt culture
    peanuts
    sesame
    safflower
    garlic
    bakers yeast
    coffee
    salmon
    rye

I also have one daughter who is vegan and one who is vegetarian. My husband, step-daughter and youngest daughter are self described omnivores who occasionally want meat in their food. So it makes finding family friendly recipes difficult.

I have to agree that I am often overwhelmed with trying to plan out food, not only for myself, but for the rest of my family.
  • MonicaWalls
    MonicaWalls Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have already introduced myself. I have oral allergy syndrome so I am allergic to fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, trees, grass, cats, dogs, horses..the list goes on and on. I wanted you all to know that I now have a motivational group for health and fitness on facebook that I would love for you all to join! Just add me as a friend www.facebook.com/monica.walls3 and I will add you to the group :)
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I don't eat grass, cats, dogs, or horses. You won't find any in my diary. LOL. I am cutting down on fruit, finding it is causing several health problems, allergic to some nuts, but I eat lots of veggies.
    Hello, I have already introduced myself. I have oral allergy syndrome so I am allergic to fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, trees, grass, cats, dogs, horses..the list goes on and on. I wanted you all to know that I now have a motivational group for health and fitness on facebook that I would love for you all to join! Just add me as a friend www.facebook.com/monica.walls3 and I will add you to the group :)
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Here to say hello. I have allergies to soy, coconut, dairy, many grains in general so I am also gluten free.There may be others I have not nailed down yet. I was doing really well until about a week ago just after I found the soy. Now I am struggling again. Mostly wanting all the things causing problems.

My husband is behind me but I would really love to have someone who is willing to help me get passed this hurdle. I feel like I am giving up so many things. I have found some reasonably decent substitutes but I need more.
  • Marilyn2405
    Marilyn2405 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Marilyn. I have recently found that I have a gluten intolerance and I am allergic to corn (corn syrup and cornstarch are in so many things). Does anyone else have an allergy to corn? I am told it is a common allergen, however I have yet to meet anyone else with the same problem.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Yep. All grains are a problem for me. Corn is also a problem for my dad, for my son (adopted), and for one of my close friends. Son still eats it and suffers the consequence. I much prefer to be healthy! My friend breaks out in a terrible rash.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm also a food sensitive mess.

They tested me for 49 foods and I had a reaction to 42. Some worse than others, so I have to be careful with combos. When they test me I always go into anaphylaxis as I'm having so many reactions to so many things at once.

So the really bad ones are any sprouted grains, including wheat, peanut butter, strawberries, and cow milk, (I can tolerate goat and sheep's milk). Chicken is not the greatest for me either. Have to be careful with fish and shell fish.

Things I can eat are corn, oats, chocolate and beef wooieee!

I'm also allergic to the sun, and have environmental allergies that can make my food sensitivities worse and vice versa. Top that with Asthma and a genetic thyroid disease, (Hashimoto's thyroiditis), and you've got the makings of something, I just don't know what.

but I refuse to treat myself as a sick person and will only think of myself as a healthy person with a few challenges. I cook everything I eat from scratch, and can still eat like a gourmet. Keeping it organic when I can, Kosher when I'm able, and fresh, fresh, fresh.