weigh in on menopause

Options
Anyone out there struggling with the complications that come with menopause and weight gain.

Any advice would be great

Replies

• Nessa76542
    Options
    Hi Lena,

I am definitely struggling with this, too! I've been in menopause for a solid year now and have put on 25 lbs in the past 9 months! And it's not because I'm eating more or exercising less...it's just THERE! It just grows overnight! LOL!

I am going to increase my exercise, though, as I've tried everything else out there to stop this horrid weight gain. But I'm so tired all the time and I get so sore after every 5k I run, it's just getting harder and harder to keep my motivation up. Grrrrr! lol

The last thing I tried were the pills called Health-e Trim. They definitely gave me a boost of energy that lasted for 4 to 5 hours, but, there's too much caffeine in them for my body to handle. Raised my blood pressure to 150/98 and my heart fluttered a little too often.

The hot flashes have subsided, finally, so, that's a relief.

Hope we get some experts in here who might give us some tips on how to combat this lovely side of the female species!!

*hugs*
    Nessa
  • lenaa50
    lenaa50 Posts: 34
    Options
    awwww no Nessa, I am so struggling to loose weight. It looks like i have a hard and bumpy road ahead of me.
    i hoped that if I lost enough weight , It may not be so bad. Would drinking lots of water help me in any way not gaining the weight.

Can I ask if you were counting your calories before your menopause, or have you decided to join MFP after your weight gain.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Nessa76542
    Options
    Oh, no, I just joined this today after I saw a lady post about it on another site! And there's no key to success with weight loss because we are all so different. For me, taking in more water is no help as I'm a true water-holic and have been all my life.

Before menopause and even after menopause, really, truly, the only thing that helps me lose weight IS counting calories (and fat and protein and carbs!). I just get lazy and lose motivation...like, about every weekend when I'm out and about and making choices with my eyeballs and not my goals! hahaha!

Hang in there...it's going to be okay! Do the work of keeping up with your food and exercise journaling and you will be successful. I believe that whole heartedly!
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies.....glad to join you. I am 47 and had my annual physical last month and got the word....perimenopause!! I started menopausal symtoms about 6 months ago with hot flashes....the real ones....the no doubt about it ones....the ones like my mother had at the dinner table that I thought she was faking!!! I have had a lot of weight gain and it has been a terrible battle trying to lose it. I get thrilled to get 3 pounds off and then all of a sudden I am 4 pounds up. It has been very frustrated but have just come to realize that I have to change my lifestyle all together because things will only get tougher as I get older.

I have recently purchased Turbo Fire and Brazillian Butt Lift (couldn't decide between the two). I am have to discipline myself to get out in my exercise room and work out. One of our daughter's recently got engaged and I need to get some of this weight off before the wedding.....thank goodness she hasn't set a date yet but it will be within the year!! Besides getting weight off for the wedding, I have to do something to rid myself of this strange grunting noice I make when I bend down now!!!!

I read a great motivational saying the other day....actually 2.

1) If you keep doing the same things you have always done, then you are going to get the same things that you have always gotten.

2) Suffer the pain of discipline now or the pain of regret later.

So here is my plan..........get disciplined and get that Brazilian Butt!!!
  • mickeyjune1962
    mickeyjune1962 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I just joined fitnesspal a couple of days ago. I had just downloaded the app, then went to a dr. appointment. She very kindly suggested a downloadable app to help me count calories. (Coincidence)? Anyhow, I'm 49, and apparently in the throes of peri-menopause. I too gained a good 25 pounds, seemingly overnight. I was 160 at the beginning of last summer, then I was somehow miraculously 180+. I don't think I did anything differently. Just gained weight!

I've tried cutting back, increasing activity, drinking water, etc etc. It just hangs on. So...

After the doctor told me to download the app, she also said to go to the store and buy (OTC), DHEA. Not DHA, but DHEA. It's a precursor necessary for the body to make testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, and about 150 other hormones. She told me that it will help get rid of the fat around my middle. I know it's supposed to take up to several weeks to feel an effect, but I feel more energetic, not so draggy and sleepy, and much less interested in grazing in the kitchen in just 48 hours. Hope this keeps up!

Also, don't know if this is too much information, but I've been taking Zoloft for quite some time. I mentioned to the doc that I find myself mindlessly eating cereal, bread, anything sugary... and she said that it's been noted that Zoloft (sertraline) can cause carbohydrate cravings in some people. She switched me off of it completely to Wellbutrin (buboprion). Again, it's only been 2 days, but I just am not interested in the bread drawer at all.

Hope some of this is helpful. It's really (really!) good to hear that wierd, large weight gains happen to other people also!

Hang in there!
  • lenaa50
    Options
    ob dear, i really am not looking forward to the bumpy ride.

I have cut out wheat/sugar/carbs and just trying the high protein, fruit and veg, but the weight is stubborn and hangs on.
    I have only been on this site for 3 weeks myself and have only lost 4lb.

i am trying to change my lifestyle also and adding more activity, ie walking, cycling and swimming, but not getting very far.
    thank you all for your support.
    i will weigh myself again over the week-end and see how this week's calories add up to:smile:
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been living in my own "private summer" since my hysterectomy in October 2008. I've done it successfully without hormones because of family cancer history. It hasn't been easy, but the worst part is what it did to my figure. Since my emergency C-section, my lower abdomen hasn't looked great, but the hysterectomy just took whatever muscle was left and shot it to h_ll. I was very bloated for a long time, and it took years for that to go away. I tried weight watchers and south beach without much success. And, I was told by many people, including doctors, that weight loss during menopause is virtually impossible.

Well, that was all I needed to hear. Because, I don't believe that anything is impossible. My friend told me about myfitnesspal 8 weeks ago, and without exercising at all, I lost 14 pounds. I am wearing clothing that I haven't worn in 3 years! I swear by myfitnesspal!

16215868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • himyfitnesspal
    Options
    Hi
    I just joined the group and would love to weigh in on menopause.
    I just joined "myfitnesspal" a couple of days ago.
    I have NOT found answers that help me to loose weight. However, I have been able to maintain.
    The answer I do not want to hear is exercise. I can 'maintain' by not eating any pasta, white bread or sugar.
    I know that sounds like everything. I have also found that if I do not eat any dairy products and avoid even the smallest amount of milk, I do not inflate. Apparently I may had a 'lactose intolerance' thing going on that I tried to ignore because of my love for milk.
    I have switched over to only whole grain crackers and breads. I do enjoy rye and oat breads.
    My husband has started walking the dog with me before we both leave for work....at 5am! This only earns me 44 calories, but it is a start....
    It is kinda funny to be in this group wondering how I gained the weight and how I am going to take it back off.....because as a teenager I was so thin that I looked sickly. I was the last one to be "picked" for a team in gym class because I was so underweight!......2 children and 2 grandchildren later....I am here!:flowerforyou:
  • Summerlove1993
    Options
    I remember being thin in my teens and 20's. Pregnancy kicked off this battle with weight, and menopause has been the real kicker. That's okay, I'm fighting back, and as long as I stay true to my calorie intake, I will continue to lose weight. I will never look like I did back in the day thanks to my stretch marks, c-section, and hysterectomy scars. I'm just interested in being healthier and looking better than I do now.

16215868.png
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    When I had my physical my doctor told me to be prepared for weight gain - that the average weight gain at this time of our lives (perimenapausal) is 25 pounds. 7 years ago I weighed 135 pounds and up until about a year ago I had gotten up to 155 and I will take full responsibility for that. Those 20 pounds came on gradually over a 6 year period. But in the past year I shot up another 20 and I am more active than I have ever been. My activity has not been exersize as far as aerobics and weight lifting but doing a lot of moving around....last summer my husband and I either rode bikes 5 miles or walked at a quick pace for 3 miles and I never lost a pound.

We are definitely not teenage girls anymore than can skip 2 meals and lose 5 pounds....our metabolism is coming to a halt which means we need to kick things up a few notches and challenge our bodies. At this point it is not just about the weight, it is about our overall and creating new habits that will combat other issues that we face as aging women.

I am very glad that I found this group and look forward to being an encourager and being encouraged!!:happy:
  • Summerlove1993
    Options
    I think I may be at the end of menopause. I still get the occasional hot flash, usually when I'm upset. I haven't had night sweats in a while. I am wondering what happens when menopause is over. Does weight loss get easier? Since I started myfitnesspal, it hasn't been very difficult to lose the 14 pounds that I've lost so far. I wasn't able to do this before on WW or South Beach. I'm wondering if I'm losing weight because counting calories is more effective than those other diets or if I'm finally successful because I'm at the end of menopause.

Any theories? :blushing:
  • seney57
    seney57 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    there are a few ways to help with menopause symptoms and weight gain. With the symptoms I drink ice water and go out side. I take a sweater on and off frenquently and have my home a little cooler. REcently I find that excersice really helps. So with drinking the water and the exercise I should be able to take care of the weight gain. Most of my weight gain since menopause has been in the chest went from a 36 double D to a 38 H. Makes me look even bigger. Hopefully I can lose most of that with the 54 pounds I've gained. No 53 since I started on my fitness pal. This is my third day and I've had so much encouragement I feel like I have a larger family. I got this web site from my doctor, she is so helpful...Thank you!!!
  • Summerlove1993
    Options
    Hello! Anybody out there?

16215868.png
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and started peri-menopause about 4 years ago. I've had so many different symptoms. Not too many hot flashes, but when I do get them I usually end up with a rash :blushing: I developed asthma and heart palpitations. I started gaining weight and over the past 4 years have gained about 40 lbs. I've never experienced such intense food cravings before. Now I am on my way to diabetes as I am insulin resistant. I was also having break outs, anxiety, muscle and breast soreness, sleep disturbances, issues with concentration, etc. I've done a lot of research on hormones and food and discovered that for me if I increase my progesterone through food I find that many of my symptoms have eased and if I stay away from sugar and limit my bad carbs, the food cravings are under control. I lost about 10 pounds before joining mfp (actually 15 but gained 5 back) so I know that by sticking to the right foods weight loss can be achieved. Patience. I also feel better. Now I need to work on the sleep issues. I average about 3 hours of sleep a night. The rest of my time in bed is spent tossing and turning. So I wake up tired every morning.

Summerlove, I'm not sure if you ever reach the end of menopause. If you haven't have your period in a year that is when you reach menopause. I know lots of women who still suffer hot flashes decades after having reached menopause. But everyone is different. Maybe a google search could help answer your question.
  • krishamisha
    krishamisha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there, so glad to have found this group! I'm 44 and been battling hot flushes for 18 months. The 1st time they came I gained 10lb in what seemed to be a week, the same thing the second time, so now I'm here and they're back again.... Did I mention how much I hate them??! I am trying to stick to 1200 calories a day now in the hope of not gaining weight, let alone loose it. It's true ( for me anyway ) you have to change your lifestyle/ eating habits.

Feel free to friend me if you would like a flushing friend!
  • SD2bfit
    SD2bfit Posts: 11
    Options
    Nice to hear someone else isn't sleeping! My Perimenopause started over the past year or so. I wake up some nights all sweaty and hot, other nights I'm comfortably cool. My husband can't understand it since he is usually the one who's always hot. The weight gain started creeping up over the past 2 years after I stopped competing in triathlons. Ever since then, I've struggled to keep my weight at only a 10 lb gain. It's amazing that I can gain 3-5 lbs. over night, then lose it just as quickly. Is this normal??? The fatigue was the worst. I just couldn't get motivated to do anything.

So, being a healthcare professional, I started researching and going to seminars on women and menopause. I was a cardio queen, but now, the research says to balance out cardio with more strength training. More muscle means higher metabolism, which is the fight we are fighting, ladies! Lots of B vitamins are also recommended to aid metabolism since most of your B vitamins are catalysts for food digestion/metabolism. It's drinking water that I am having trouble with. At work, it's so hard since I can't keep a water bottle handy (no desktop when you're running around all day). When I remember the water, it seems to help. I agree with others that avoiding sugar and carbs helps, too. I've switched to drinking protein meal replacement shakes for breakfast, which seems to help.

I'm so glad I found this website, and the My Fitness Pal app! Tonight, I was so tired, but when I logged on, it told me I owed 45 min. of exercise today. I decided just to walk for 20 min. I ended up rollerblading for another 25 minutes! So exciting to see the numbers change! And to read all your amazing success stories. Thanks!!
  • rbriggs1122
    Options
    I'm 47 and haven't had a period for 4 years, but I don't think most women ever get done with menopause. I'm still having hot flashes, about 1-2 a day, never too bad though. I have gained about 25 lbs in the past 4 years, but since signing on with MFP, I've dropped 10. I think it works because we just don't realize how much we're eating. We eat sensibly and think we're doing okay on portion control, but a piece of cake here, bread and butter there, small fries, etc., it all adds up. But we all know what to do--eat more fruit and veggies, less sugar and other bad carbs, and exercise more. MFP makes it so easy to see in black & white exactly what all that means. Menopause is not a death sentence and we don't have to settle for the spare tires that have suddenly appeared around our middles. I for one am going to fight every step of the way to stay healthy, active and feeling good. I want to look forward to my 50s and 60s and being even more active and fit than I am now. Anyone with me?
  • lenaa50
    Options
    Definately a turning point in our lives for us women.
    and I definately agree with rbriggs; Menopause not a need be a death sentence and we don't have to settle for the spare tires that have suddenly appeared around our middles. I for one am going to fight every step of the way to stay healthy, active and feeling good. I want to look forward to my 50s and 60s and being even more active and fit than I am now.

chin up and best foot forward girls.
  • maryshanahan
    maryshanahan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Seems like all of us, whether in perimenopause or menopause, are experiencing the same problem. I swore February 1, 2012 that I would try everything to lose weight. Began going to a personal trainer and feel GREAT, but the weight isn't coming off. Got a list of fat burning foods that I began using this week. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. I'm 58 and this is the last of my efforts. Did feel better reading all your posts, though!

Have a great weekend!
  • maryshanahan
    maryshanahan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Got measured yesterday. Overall, lost a little over 3 inches in 3 months with 2 lbs lost. If there is no weight loss on Monday, we are trying a new strategy: 1,000 calores on days I don't work out,, 1200 on days I do. Fingers crossed!