Please, someone reassure me.

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Post the pictures!! we will help you see the changes.

Irridia is right - 12 weeks isn't the end.

And as far as avoiding sugar or carbs or what not - I eat kind of whatever as long as I get enough protein. Doesn't seem to affect me that much beyond things like bloat and being lactose intolerant. The only thing that affects my results is eating too much/not moving around enough. But I've eaten plenty of french fries since I started this and its fine - its a little hard to work into my calories/macros for the day but its any particular food that made me fat, its just eating too damn much and not exercising at all. Heck I'm surprised I didn't weight more, I can eat a massive quantity of food in a day.
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    Post the pictures!! we will help you see the changes.

Irridia is right - 12 weeks isn't the end.

And as far as avoiding sugar or carbs or what not - I eat kind of whatever as long as I get enough protein. Doesn't seem to affect me that much beyond things like bloat and being lactose intolerant. The only thing that affects my results is eating too much/not moving around enough. But I've eaten plenty of french fries since I started this and its fine - its a little hard to work into my calories/macros for the day but its any particular food that made me fat, its just eating too damn much and not exercising at all. Heck I'm surprised I didn't weight more, I can eat a massive quantity of food in a day.

Yeah that was my logic too - One specific food didn't get me there... it was eating a lot of it. I would sit in front of the tv, eat some pie, then crave salt - bag of popcorn, movie theatre, then need more sugar to balance all the salt so I would melt a bowl of marshmallows and chocolate chips (yeah. I know.) Or I'd get home from work at 10pm and make a 4-cup pot of pasta with more butter and parm than a person should eat in a month and then go to bed.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Started SL last week but was doing Jamie Eason's program since February. I haven't lost a pound. I did lose some inches but not much. I keep telling myself eventually it has to pay off.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think the macros are probably FAR more important if you have diabetes or insulin resistance.

If not then, the keeping carbs really low probably won't help and eating them won't affect you.

I tried really hard to stick to it but failed. The days I did though, my fasting glucose hit 103-106 and I had a 96 day as well. Where as normal was 119-136.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I can also definitely relate to this. I am up 6 lbs since starting SL. It has not gone anywhere. And although I come off as the IDGAF about my weight girl, I still want to lose 20-25 lbs. I’m still overweight. And my struggle with losing weight didn’t start with SL. I took measurements yesterday and it appears I have lost 1/2 inch around my upper thighs and 1/2 inch off of my waist, so that’s something. I definitely think the key is patience and consistency.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I think the macros are probably FAR more important if you have diabetes or insulin resistance.

If not then, the keeping carbs really low probably won't help and eating them won't affect you.

I tried really hard to stick to it but failed. The days I did though, my fasting glucose hit 103-106 and I had a 96 day as well. Where as normal was 119-136.

yeah if you are insulin resistant you have to watch carbs to lose weight (suuuucks) or rather - I think you just have to keep an eye on the glycemic index of your food, not overall carbs, to prevent blood sugar spikes? Not sure about that one.

AJ - losing inches is totally the big payoff as is! Like I always say, I'd happily (but confusedly) weigh 300 lbs as long as my belly is flat and I look 150.

I found the biggest change I've made is not snacking which is like, the exact opposite of what an insulin resistant person should do (So good thing I am not). That way I don't have to adjust my meals too much but I don't have an afternoon cookie and an evening snack every day (although I'm now SUPER OBSESSED with the idea of melting marshmallows and chocolate chips together....)
  • tameko2
    Options
    I can also definitely relate to this. I am up 6 lbs since starting SL. It has not gone anywhere. And although I come off as the IDGAF about my weight girl, I still want to lose 20-25 lbs. I’m still overweight. And my struggle with losing weight didn’t start with SL. I took measurements yesterday and it appears I have lost 1/2 inch around my upper thighs and 1/2 inch off of my waist, so that’s something. I definitely think the key is patience and consistency.

heeeeey.....I thought you were on a scale break..... :huh:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know losing inches is great but my stomach needs a lot of inches taken off in order to get flat. I've been losing weight and working out at least 5x a week since Jan 2010 and it seems that I'm getting no where. It just feels like I will never get to wear I want to be. If my stomach would flatten out I would be extremely happy with where I'm at.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

I was for a month. That was in January... I gained 6 lbs of water weight then too. Then it dropped. THEN I gained it back once I started lifting again. I know it has to be water weight. And if not that, then I'm not eating enough. It seriously can't be that I'm eating too much. I know that. That is impossible.
  • tameko2
    Options

I was for a month. That was in January... I gained 6 lbs of water weight then too. Then it dropped. THEN I gained it back once I started lifting again. I know it has to be water weight. And if not that, then I'm not eating enough. It seriously can't be that I'm eating too much. I know that. That is impossible.

I have to tell myself that too. Actually I usually tell myself "If you have to eat like THIS to maintain the weight you want, do you really want to be that weight? Because boy does this suck".
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    But how do you look? Maybe progress pictures are the best way to tell. I know with my bulk I gained 10lbs, my measurements were almost the same before and after and my clothes fit the same, but I looked a lot better. It's hard to make sure you are measuring in the exact same spots, and sometimes you gain/lose in places you don't measure (like my face, or upper chest). Or there was only 2lbs difference between my green sports bra picture and my bikini picture in my profile.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you all can relate. I can't speak for Jaime but I'll quit beating myself up. It just sucks feeling like I'm failing at this. I'm nervous about taking pics but I'll do it anyways. I do have some "before" pictures that I took right after I started SL. Hopefully they'll show something. Even if they don't, I'll stick with it.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Okay troops! Tomorrow is D-Day! Hopefully the pictures and measurements treat me well!

But to help me refocus I went out and got a ton of all-clean food. I realize I haven't been helping myself by using my extra calories as an excuse for treats - and lots of them. I was at 1800-1900 a day and not eating my exercise calories back, and seeing my numbers in the green led me to just eat, for the sake of eating. Well I decided that I gave that a try and it's not working. So I've reset back to 1650 and plan to eat back the calories I feel I need. So I set my diary for the whole day and it looks like with no exercise I'd be around 1860 for the day (so at TDEE) and I plan to hit the weights later so it should put me right around my deficit goal, and I really feel that this may put me back on track the way I want to be.

Wish me luck for tomorrow! I'll post around 7ish tomorrow night (the originals were done at night...)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Glad I decided against measuring Sunday, not sure if I was supposed to or not. Friday was bust because I was cramping soo bad. Sure enough Sunday morning announced TOM was here. Sadly this could last for a week or more, I think because of my IUD. Gonna try to measure regardless and I"m going to try to tighten up on calories. After the memorial service this weekend and just all the running we've been doing I KNOW I've been eating for crap. That and it was warm enough for shorts and last season's loose shorts... weren't. oy!
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    So. angry. Let down and disappointed. There's some changes coming. For one - I'm going back to very regular cardio. I LIKE lifting, I do.. but even if any of YOU see changes... this is not acceptable. I gave it 4 full weeks. And what did I get? Tears, anger and my boyfriend trying hard to help me see a bright side - great! I can carry in all the groceries on my own, wicked. That doesn't put me in bathing suit or at a healthy weight.

So, here goes, as promised. Please be kind (but no candy coating.)

March/April
    Weight: 166/166
    Arm (L) 13/13
    Arm (R) 13.75/13.75
    Bust 39/39.75
    Waist 40.75/39.25 (pretty sure we measured two different spots)
    Hips 43/43.5
    Thighs (L) 25.5/26
    Thighs (R) 26/25.75
    Neck 13.75/13.75

Thanks measuring tape. And now for the brutal part:

March-April3.jpg
    March-April2.jpg
    March-April.jpg
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    shoot! I dunno how to make them small enough to show up without being cut off like that.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I can see the photos if I right-click and choose "open image in new tab", if that helps anyone.

Jaime, I know that must be frustrating - especially with your measurements. But, a 0.5" or even 0.75" could even just be measuring in a slightly different spot or even water retention/bloating. I will be honest that I can't see much of a difference except in the side-view picture of you. Your stomach is visibly smaller in the second picture! Where are you measuring on your waist? I think it's good to measure around the smallest part of the waist (which is higher up for most people) and around the belly button.

I think it's fine to add cardio if you feel up to it, but lifting is also super important so I hope you don't give it up. I think it can often take longer than a month to see results with lifting. I'm sorry the results so far are frustrating though. I really know how you feel. Please don't quit! :flowerforyou:
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    I had been measuring across my belly button, since it stays put and I can remember, but I feel like last time we moved it to the more narrow spot.. I dunno.

I have come to the conclusion that I think I'll just do regular 1/2 hour cardio everyday and then instead of three days of the normal stronglifts, I'll so one of each kind of lifts, and throw in some other ones. So like Monday - treadmill and squats, Tuesday - elliptical and rows/benchpress, Wednesday - treadmill and barbell lunges etc etc. .. Then at least I'm still lifting and progressing but doing what was WORKING before.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I see more definition in your back.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Jaime, so sorry for the frustration! SL is a hard work-out and to feel it's not helping is frustrating. I think your stomach looks smaller in both the side view and the front view. For the back view, we can't see your hips/thighs in the "after" photo so it's hard to tell - there may have been progress there.

I think your plan sounds good -- keep lifting but getting the cardio in there too. Not that I am any expert -- I've done all of 2 weeks of SL!