Good articles - facts about "starvation mode"

Options
acrego
acrego Posts: 84 Member
Hi girls! (I thinks it's mainly girls in here for some reason)

I just stumbled across two great articles that contain some great information - actual studies that have been done that provide an alternative point of view about the "starvation mode" that most of us in here are tired of hearing about.

http://theandersonmethod.com/can-dieting-ruin-my-metabolism/#comments

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

In general, these studies support the idea that maintaining a low calorie diet (and staying active) is pretty much the only way to lose weight. Just be practical about it, and make sure it's something you are able to maintain long term in order to reach your goal and stay there.

Hope this helps!

Replies

• sansouchi1050
    Options
    good articles. Thanks for posting
  • Candyapplebabe
    Candyapplebabe Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Awesome reads! Thanks for posting.
  • loriduarte
    loriduarte Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Interesting information. Thanks for the post.
  • MsShroom
    MsShroom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks! That seems to be what has been the right way for my progress all along - get up and move and eat the good stuff (which is, usually, low in calorie anyway)!
  • Sksieger
    Sksieger Posts: 63
    Options
    :)
  • cpk44
    cpk44 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Those articles made me feel a lot better about my low calorie diet! But, I was wondering, do you have any idea what number is too few calories? For instance, you're going to get bad effects if you eat under a hundred calories a day. But what about between 500 and 1000?
  • sammylouhulley
    Options
    im in such a rut, i eat a very low calorie diet and exercise but the scale is not moving and the measuring tape is moving very slowly...what am i doing wrong:happy:
  • sammylouhulley
    Options
    Those articles made me feel a lot better about my low calorie diet! But, I was wondering, do you have any idea what number is too few calories? For instance, you're going to get bad effects if you eat under a hundred calories a day. But what about between 500 and 1000?

i am also on a low cals 600 to 800 per day
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have done 400 calories per day many times, but it can be tricky. You have to be careful to not exert yourself physically, or you can get lightheaded, shaky, and see black in front of your eyes when you stand up. I have not experienced any of that on 600 to 700 calories per day. It is important to not try to be physically active when eating low-calorie. Exercise should not be combined with crash dieting. You will lose weight a whole lot quicker if you skip the exercise and stick to 600 - 700 calories, than if you exercise and eat higher calories. If you try 400 - 500 calories, space the calories out throughout the day so your blood sugar doesn't get too low. Keep a small little can of juice with you at all times in case you begin to become dizzy or lightheaded. Don't get dehydrated-- very important! Have water or diet tea or diet soda handy, especially in hot weather. Do NOT consume very much caffeine or chocolate on a low calorie diet-- you will get REALLY dizzy if you do.