Obesity and NROL4W

Options
13»

Replies

• duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    hi everyone! I started NROLW last year and made it through stage 1. I am obese (BMI is over 35). I definitely did lose inches last year on the program and a small amount of weight. I got frustrated though because I do have so much to lose. And the fact is, that I can make myself look better only to a certain extent - you can't see your awesome new muscles if they are hidden in a fat suit. I gave up on it for a while and tried just cardio cardio cardio (circuit training), still eating at about 300 calories under maintance. It was just as slow, and all that cardio made me hungry. Another fail.

I read some interesting things on the internet about the obese person and weight loss - it turns out that we are better able to tolerate larger calorie deficits than a person who is leaner - meaning we can eat less and still retain muscle than a leaner person could. So I feel like the diet recommendations in the book are quite sound for one close to goal or who doesn't mind a slower rate of loss, but I really want to get rid of my fat and want to lose a pound a week. So I decided to restart NROLW last week (starting over at stage 1 again), but this time I'm not afraid to set my calorie deficit to 500 calories. So I am ignoring the diet part of the book till I get closer to a normal BMI, but still doing the exercises. It remains to be seen if I will have better luck this time.
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    k0nfyo0zed: you aren't alone...I'm 5'10 and 315 right now. I've heard some folks use stairs in their home as a replacement for a step.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I also am keeping a 500 cal deficit because I have about 80 lbs I could afford to lose. Being obese must be good for something, and I hear it's creating muscle while eating significantly less. :)

I'm 238 and 5'11 - I've only just started but I do love to lift. I had a back injury last year that was annoying (compression injury from backbends) and has kept me down (and put some weight on me) but I'm loving it so far!

SORE, though! :)
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    hi everyone! I started NROLW last year and made it through stage 1. I am obese (BMI is over 35). I definitely did lose inches last year on the program and a small amount of weight. I got frustrated though because I do have so much to lose. And the fact is, that I can make myself look better only to a certain extent - you can't see your awesome new muscles if they are hidden in a fat suit. I gave up on it for a while and tried just cardio cardio cardio (circuit training), still eating at about 300 calories under maintance. It was just as slow, and all that cardio made me hungry. Another fail.

I read some interesting things on the internet about the obese person and weight loss - it turns out that we are better able to tolerate larger calorie deficits than a person who is leaner - meaning we can eat less and still retain muscle than a leaner person could. So I feel like the diet recommendations in the book are quite sound for one close to goal or who doesn't mind a slower rate of loss, but I really want to get rid of my fat and want to lose a pound a week. So I decided to restart NROLW last week (starting over at stage 1 again), but this time I'm not afraid to set my calorie deficit to 500 calories. So I am ignoring the diet part of the book till I get closer to a normal BMI, but still doing the exercises. It remains to be seen if I will have better luck this time.

This!! Acording to NROLFW calc I should be eating 2949 on work out days but bc I still have 150 LBS to loose I eat 1700-1800 cals a day... every day Thats ok right?!

ETA and no gals your not alone I am 5'6 and 288 down from 330 :happy:
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    diana - I'm sure a 1000 calorie deficit is perfectly ok in your case. The other thing that we as obese people have to realize, is that it is actually ok for us to lose some LBM as well. We've gotten very strong lugging around all our extra weight day in and day out, and our organs have gotten larger too. It is natural for us to not need as much LBM as we get smaller. 1700 a day seems sensible to me, and as you get smaller it also makes sense to reevaluate your calorie deficit.
  • avalynsmom
    Options
    Hi ladies, I'm brand new to this group and fall into the category of obese as well. I'll be starting this weight program on Monday. I'm 5'5" and 212 right now (down 15lbs since I started working out/eating right at the beg. of April) For the last 3 weeks, I've been following the "eat more to weigh less" board and the TDEE recs from Fat2Fit and all that. I'm at a 20-30% cut from my TDEE, I workout 6days/week, and have been doing cardio every day (20-45min) and "lifting" M,W,F. I say "lifting" cause I've been doing machines just to get back into the swing of things. I eat 2300-2400ish calories a day, and since I upped my cals, I've lost around 10lbs! That's just been in about 3wks.

Even though I haven't started this program yet, I say don't be scared to up your cals! Even if you're obese and have a lot to lose. For me, it worked WAY better than cutting cals. When I started about a month ago, I wasn't counting cals, just following an old program I used to use (Abs Diet) and eating roughly 6x/day, and eating certain combos of foods at those times. After I lost 5lbs the first week, I though, hmmm, If I cut my cals to what MFP says, I'll lose more. WRONG! I GAINED back 2-4lbs doing that! I only lasted 4 days with that anyway, WAY too hungry! I upped my cals and lost 6lbs (so the weight I had gained back, plus some) in just a couple of days. Then, I was sold! Then I sort of stalled out a bit, so I changed my MFP settings to 2300 and don't add in exercise. Since I did that, the rest has come off regularly/quickly again, like 4lbs in the last week or so.

Idk if this will keep up when I start real lifting, but I can't see why I wouldn't at least stay at a loss, even if a little bit less, considering that the main change to my activity will be a TINY bit less cardio and just different weight training. But I'll keep y'all posted on that too! Btw, my current cals settings are actually right at about what NROL4W calls "maintenance."
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I also have about 50 lbs to lose. I am not new to lifting but might as well be since it's been almost 7 years since I have really lifted. I started back 3 weeks ago and am down a pant size already although the scale has not dropped a single pound! But I don't care about the number on the scale, even if it is really high. If my pants size are going down clearly things are changing.

I feel really great already and muscles are getting firmer. I can't wait to see what my results will be as I continue on.
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    i'm going to start day one on monday and i'm concerned about the calories for obese people too. the book clearly states that the formula they use is best for normal weight women and there may be a better formula for obese women to calculate their calories. i've got about 80lbs to lose and with all the calorie calculations my head is swimming in numbers :/
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I set my calories to be my TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) - 20% since I am obese. So I net 1600 and I eat my exercise calories back because in my calculations I put sedentary. I also am eating breastfeeding calories (300 right now).

My main goal is to not NET below my BMR which is about 1500.
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the program on wednesday and am slightly nervous about the calories to. I'm 5'2 and with the deficit I should still be eating 2000 calories on non- workout days, even using protein shakes and the meal plans as a guide I am struggling to meet this. Any advice??
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    After doing this for a month now I eat 1800 calories and do not eat my all of my exercise calories back. I try to net 1500 and I have found this is great for me and I'm seeing lost and feeling stronger. I started doing this because I could NOT eat all the calories Nrol4W were telling me to eat.
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also after advice. I've gained half a kg in the first two weeks eating 1992 cals (not eating back exercise calories) which is TDEE -20%

Bit confused. I should be eating another 200 on top, (according to NROL) but really worried that I'm gonna gain even more =/

I did a few weeks upping my calories gradually as I was netting around 1200-1300 back in March. Despite eating more I lost half a kg . Now I'm lifting I've gained!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Also after advice. I've gained half a kg in the first two weeks eating 1992 cals (not eating back exercise calories) which is TDEE -20%

Bit confused. I should be eating another 200 on top, (according to NROL) but really worried that I'm gonna gain even more =/

I did a few weeks upping my calories gradually as I was netting around 1200-1300 back in March. Despite eating more I lost half a kg . Now I'm lifting I've gained!

Have you taken your measurements? This will give you a better idea of how you are doing. I had my husband put away our scales. I will only weigh every two weeks!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

The NROLFW way is as follows:

. . .

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

I'm confused about this. I thought from doing the calculations in the book that for someone obese (BMI > 30), the multipliers were 1.2 (non-lifting day) and 1.4 (lifting days)?

I'm half-way through Stage 1 and now I'm second-guessing my calories. I fluctuate bet. 86-87 kg (189-191.5 lb.) with BMI bet. 31.5 - 32, but I guess I'll have to double-check my math. :o
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options

I really really really wouldn't worry about half a kg. I weigh all over the place, but ESPECIALLY when I lift. This week alone I've had an 8 lb variance day to day. :) This week's weigh in day I passed at higher than my start weight... but I've lost inches and I expect it will be down after 2 rest days. :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Never mind my question. I saw a spreasheet, and it did show 1.5 and 1.7 multipliers, until I entered my age (39), and THEN they bumped down to 1.2 and 1.4. :(

*edited to correct a typo.