Cloth Diapers

Options

Replies

• millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Oh, and I second the Flips as a disposable insert option - I've never used the disposable inserts, but I have a couple Flips with the reusable insert and I love it. It actually looks near identical on the outside to a BumGenius (I think made by the same people, actually), and it comes in one-size and fits wonderfully.

I like the idea of the flush-able inserts for vacations. That way I wont have to tote around a bunch of poop/pee liners. I can just have the shells and if they get messed with leaks/etc... Then I can hand wash them in the sink and hang to dry.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I plan on going completely gender nuetral on as many things as I can in case we have another baby after this one. My brother and sister in law had everything girl-oriented for their first and then ended up having twin boys! Had to go buy ALL new stuff. Going to learn from them :) Everything that I can get (safely and cleanly) used/second-hand/nuetral I'll be getting! I'll leave it up to baby showers to provide the pops of pink or blue as necessary ;)

I already want to start buying the diapers! I found a woman in my town who makes them for about half the cost of buing commercial ones, and I'm wondering about trying out one pattern and seeing if I'm any good at it :)
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I am using cloth for the first time with this baby. We are going with Thirsties covers and inserts. We attended a diaper class and felt so much more confident about it after that class. If you are interested but have questions still I would def look into if anyone in your area has a class like this.
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just wondering if anyone has the experience of using both kinds of diapers (disposible and cloth). I'm having trouble convincing my boyfriend, he's scared of the clean up.. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks for all the info so far, this is great help!!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    All of my aunts used cloth....I used disposable.....
    The only perks I've noticed for cloth diapers is not having yucky chemicals against your baby's bum (BIG ONE), and it may be cheaper once you're established with a good amount of diapers. But the amount of time that goes into washing, laundry detergent, clorox to me makes it maybe not AS cost effective. Plus if there's a poo, you need to rinse it out into the commode; can't put that in the washing machine. You have to get the plastic undies that go over the cloth to prevent a leak....and you have to change much more frequently; b/c most children I've seen wearing cloth can't stand the wet sensation they get and start fussing as soon as there's a wee. But I would say the perk there is earlier potty training.
    For me and my lifestyle; disposable was just a choice of ease and convenience. With my oldest I worked and it was easier for her babysitter and me. My second I've stayed at home, but it's just easier for me.....if he pees once he doesn't start fussing for a diaper change bc it gets absorbed. (Although I am not one of those folks that think I should get my "money's worth" out of the disposable and leave it on all day) it is nice to go out shopping and not have to worry about him fussing over a wet diaper, or it leaking. I already have to wash at least 2 loads of clothes a day, and I can't fathom having to wash an extra load or two a day. And it's easier to toss them in a Diaper Genie. Downside...the Diaper Genie can get to smelling pretty foul if you wait to long to switch out the bag.....AND some kids have a more sensitive bottom than others, my son could wear Huggies, but not Pampers as Pampers made him break out really bad.
    Hope that helped!! I would say just do what works out best for you, and your family. Good luck!!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    We'll probably end up doing a combination, easier to use disposable when traveling, etc. I've registered for a TON and hopefully can get enough that way but there are also exchanges etc. to get them cheaper. The husband is not totally on board yet but because I get to stay home the first three months I'll have the final say :wink:

Going to get one of those toilet sprayers too to make it easier and not have to deal with more poo than necessary :sick:
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just wondering if anyone has the experience of using both kinds of diapers (disposible and cloth). I'm having trouble convincing my boyfriend, he's scared of the clean up.. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks for all the info so far, this is great help!!

We use disposables when we go to my parent's house for the weekend to visit (usually once a month). I have two boys in diapers now - my son turned 2yo in January and my youngest is 7mo now. Clean-up was my biggest worry with cloth diapers as well, but look up a diaper sprayer! It's about $50 (or if you are handy there are ways to make your own very cheap). It hooks up to your toilet and you turn a switch and it is like a hand-held sprayer that sprays the poop off the diapers! Super easy! It was the bst $50 I ever spent. :smile: Pros of cloth diapers for me are: I am saving money, no chemicals against babies delicate skin, they are cute colors/patterns, no stinky trash, neither of my boys have ever had a diaper rash and I never have to worry about running out of diapers and running to the store. Cons of cloth would be the initial investment, getting use to them being a little more bulky under clothes (but if you never used disposables on a past child you would have nothing to compare to, lol) and just finding the right cloth diaper brand for your little one.
  • busyPK
    Options
    All of my aunts used cloth....I used disposable.....
    The only perks I've noticed for cloth diapers is not having yucky chemicals against your baby's bum (BIG ONE), and it may be cheaper once you're established with a good amount of diapers. But the amount of time that goes into washing, laundry detergent, clorox to me makes it maybe not AS cost effective. Plus if there's a poo, you need to rinse it out into the commode; can't put that in the washing machine. You have to get the plastic undies that go over the cloth to prevent a leak....and you have to change much more frequently; b/c most children I've seen wearing cloth can't stand the wet sensation they get and start fussing as soon as there's a wee. But I would say the perk there is earlier potty training.
    For me and my lifestyle; disposable was just a choice of ease and convenience. With my oldest I worked and it was easier for her babysitter and me. My second I've stayed at home, but it's just easier for me.....if he pees once he doesn't start fussing for a diaper change bc it gets absorbed. (Although I am not one of those folks that think I should get my "money's worth" out of the disposable and leave it on all day) it is nice to go out shopping and not have to worry about him fussing over a wet diaper, or it leaking. I already have to wash at least 2 loads of clothes a day, and I can't fathom having to wash an extra load or two a day. And it's easier to toss them in a Diaper Genie. Downside...the Diaper Genie can get to smelling pretty foul if you wait to long to switch out the bag.....AND some kids have a more sensitive bottom than others, my son could wear Huggies, but not Pampers as Pampers made him break out really bad.
    Hope that helped!! I would say just do what works out best for you, and your family. Good luck!!

I wanted to chime in here since I use cloth and have for over 2 years, but I also have experiece with dispoables when we travel.
    1) Amount of time for washing: all I do in throw the dirty diapers in my washer for a rinse, then after that I add detergent (Tide free&gentle - same I use for ALL my laundry) and do a HOT wash with a 30min soak and a good rinse afterwards. That is it - the machine does all the work. :wink: And no special detergent or anything I don't normally have on hand.
    2) If you breastfeed and your baby isn't on any other food yet, you can put poopy diapers straight in the washing machine. Breast milk is 100% water soluble.
    3) No plastic undies here - there are a ton of brands of cloth diapers that are modern now.
    4) You usually do change cloth diapers more frequently, but there are many, many brands out there now that have a stay dry layer against babies skin. My boys have never gotten made after they pee in their diapers and feel wetness because of that stay dry liner.
    5) Leaks can happen in disposables or cloth. Some diapers just hold more than other, and some babies just pee more than others. The best thing is to find the best solution for your baby.
  • ehg87
    Options
    exactly, personal preference on what works for each individual family. For some cloth seems to work fine, for others disposable seems to work fine.
    I'm just curious if cloth really saves that much money. It's expensive to get set up with enough diapers...and then you have detergent cost, water costs (if you live in town), electricity costs for washer & dryer, PLUS you have the hot water factor, ( hot water heaters are about 70% of your power bill) ...we recently put up a clothesline so that would take away from our dryer costs since prior we were using the dryer for about 2hrs 6 days a week. Then there's the time factor which is technically a cost.
    When I had two in disposables we would go through the BIGGG (sold at Sam's or Costcos) box of diapers once a month, and that was with two in diapers....which cost a bit less than $40 a month.....which is probably the same, or less than the cost if I broke down, detergent, electricity, and the cost of having enough cloth diapers to diaper two bums....Now that I have only one in diapers we go through a BIG box approx every 2 months, which breaks down into $20 a month....Although I did just remember the diaper genie refills are $6 a roll and they last about a month.
    I guess it would just depend on what the reasoning behind your choice is.
  • busyPK
    Options
    exactly, personal preference on what works for each individual family. For some cloth seems to work fine, for others disposable seems to work fine.
    I'm just curious if cloth really saves that much money. It's expensive to get set up with enough diapers...and then you have detergent cost, water costs (if you live in town), electricity costs for washer & dryer, PLUS you have the hot water factor, ( hot water heaters are about 70% of your power bill) ...we recently put up a clothesline so that would take away from our dryer costs since prior we were using the dryer for about 2hrs 6 days a week. Then there's the time factor which is technically a cost.
    When I had two in disposables we would go through the BIGGG (sold at Sam's or Costcos) box of diapers once a month, and that was with two in diapers....which cost a bit less than $40 a month.....which is probably the same, or less than the cost if I broke down, detergent, electricity, and the cost of having enough cloth diapers to diaper two bums....Now that I have only one in diapers we go through a BIG box approx every 2 months, which breaks down into $20 a month....Although I did just remember the diaper genie refills are $6 a roll and they last about a month.
    I guess it would just depend on what the reasoning behind your choice is.

Totally agree with you on the fact that what works for one family may not work for another. You can save a lot of money using cloth diapers, but you could also spend more money using cloth vs. disposables if you choose to have a ton of diapers or higher priced brands. If saving money is your only reason to use cloth diapers, then I don't think you will stick with it imo. If I would have known what diapers I liked the best and started with those and did not buy any others I would have spent less than $500 on a full stash, and that would diaper 2 at once (like I'm doing now). Good thing there are websites out there you can sell your gently used diapers at to get back some of that money. I do pay about $8 more in my water bill/month than I did pre-cloth diapers, but I have not seen a noticable increase in my electricity. Now, after I've used cloth diapers for 2 years I can say the #1 reason I love them is that I can use them for more children. The diapers I bought when I was pregnant with my first are getting used by my second and then third, and last, baby come October. I love that!
  • ehg87
    Options
    The reuse benefit would be nice. I guess for it to have been really beneficial for us I should have started with them 3 years ago, but since I didn't start out using them with number one, or number two (who will get potty trained before baby gets here in Dec) I guess this 3rd (and quite probably last) munchkin I'll just use disposables again :smile:
  • nicolenoel
    nicolenoel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I cloth diapered my son starting at about 6 months and my daughter pretty much from birth. We have a pretty big stash of one size pocket diapers (3-4 dozen) and a ton of prefolds as well so we don't have much to buy for the new baby besides a few newborn covers and if the baby is a boy, I'll order some more gender neutral pockets. My daughter will be just over 2 when I deliver so I will likely have 2 in diapers for a few months
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I think we will go cloth.. I'm a little bit of an environmentalist, so when I read that 1 baby produces 1 ton of diapers a year, and diapers are one of the worst pollutions out there because they do not decompose, I was sold.

One more question though.. i'm confused about size.. are they one size fits all? Do you need newborn diapers? And how many would you need for 1 child?

Thanks!
  • busyPK
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I think we will go cloth.. I'm a little bit of an environmentalist, so when I read that 1 baby produces 1 ton of diapers a year, and diapers are one of the worst pollutions out there because they do not decompose, I was sold.

One more question though.. i'm confused about size.. are they one size fits all? Do you need newborn diapers? And how many would you need for 1 child?

Thanks!

There are "one-size" diapers out there, but just know that "one-size" usually doesn't fit newborns well. My boys were both around 8lbs when born and didn't fit well into one-size until around 6-8wks. The biggest probably is usually the skinny thighs on a newborn. :wink: But once your newborn puts on a little weight and some chub, one-size diapers will last most people until potty training. I use BumGenius Elemental one-size diapers and they still fit my 28 month old son who is about 31lbs.

If you want to use one-size diapers then I would also get newborn diapers for those first few months. There are newborn diaper rentals out there if you don't want to invest money in diapers you will only use for a little bit, or you could buy prefolds and covers to diaper inexpensivly for those first few months. Newborn/infant perfolds or fitteds under a PUL cover worked best for both of my boys for the newborn stage. You can get prefolds at almost any online diaper store and for fitteds I like Kissaluvs and Muttaqins with Thirsties covers.

For newborns be prepared to change their diaper often - ever 1-2hrs honestly. I would have at leat 3 dozen diapers on hand, but more like 4 dozen if you want to go at least 2 days inbetween laundry and not worring about running low in the process. Once they are a little older, 3+ months, they poop less and you can go a bit longer between diaper changes. For me, using BumGenius diapers I like to have 24 of them and wash everyother day.
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    Great advice, thanks so much busyPK :wink:
  • 9Honey16
    9Honey16 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My first order of cloth diapers just arrived today!! Super excited and just wanted to share lol :) There was an earth day sale on NB Kissaluvs so I bought six. They're so tiny and cute and Soft! Next order will be from GMD for prefolds and workhorses. Trying to build this stash slowly so that I don't go overboard.

busyPK - How long did your babies fit in nb Kissaluvs? Just curious--guess I'm hoping my baby isn't too too big so that they don't grow out of them super fast! Lol Two months at least?
  • busyPK
    Options
    My first order of cloth diapers just arrived today!! Super excited and just wanted to share lol :) There was an earth day sale on NB Kissaluvs so I bought six. They're so tiny and cute and Soft! Next order will be from GMD for prefolds and workhorses. Trying to build this stash slowly so that I don't go overboard.

busyPK - How long did your babies fit in nb Kissaluvs? Just curious--guess I'm hoping my baby isn't too too big so that they don't grow out of them super fast! Lol Two months at least?

You picked some great diaper brands!! :smile: Both my boys were right aroung 8lbs when born and gained weight quickly and they could wear Kissaluvs size 0 for about 6-8wks I believe and they could wear them from day 1 too (even with the cord stump still on). Actually the absorbancy got to be the problem before they became too small so some people add a little extra layer of something for more absorbancy and keep using them if they fit.

GMD are great! Love their prefolds and their workhorse fitteds - great budget friendly fitted. Again, they lack some absorbancy so you will have to change often, but still worth to have on hand imo.
  • 9Honey16
    9Honey16 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's awesome to hear! Been trying to do my research :) For absorbency I was going to get some hemp inserts--is that something that can be laid in a fitted against baby's skin or are those only for pocket diapers? Also what are your thoughts on NB covers, Velcro vs snaps? I like snaps overall but I've heard you can get a better fit on newborns with Velcro?
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's awesome to hear! Been trying to do my research :) For absorbency I was going to get some hemp inserts--is that something that can be laid in a fitted against baby's skin or are those only for pocket diapers? Also what are your thoughts on NB covers, Velcro vs snaps? I like snaps overall but I've heard you can get a better fit on newborns with Velcro?

I wouldn't put the hemp against baby's skin unless you don't mind that it isn't stay-dry like most inners (like BG has a microsuade inside so it's dry against baby's skin), My daughter had really sensitive skin, so we needed the stay-dry in the newb stage. But with fitteds, I find putting the extra insert laid in the cover on the outside of the fitted works well. For my daughter's nighttime diaper, we actually use a thirsties fitted with a prefold trifolded in the cover - it's bulky, but her nighttime diaper has never leaked before (and she SOAKS it). I also prefer velcro for newborns, unless you go with something with stretchy tabs like flips or BumGenius - I hate snaps on most diapers because the tabs don't stretch and I can never get a good fit, but our BG's with snaps are awesome.
  • busyPK
    Options

I would not put hemp (or microfiber) against baby's skin. You could still use them and put them on the outside of the fitted or prefold though. Like the other lady said, prefolds aren't stay dry so you will be changing diapers quite often because most newborns don't like to feel wet. There are inserts out there (BumGenius makes some) that have microfiber on one side and a layer of fleece on the top that will make baby feel more dry and can be put against baby's skin. I would get some velcro newborn covers. They do provide the best fit for that itty bitty stage and make for a quick diaper change. Once my boys got out of newborn diapers I only did snaps though.