How soon after waking do you eat your first meal?

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
This may sound like a strange question but it goes along with that whole starvation mode theory.

Everything I've read says you should eat your first meal within 60 minutes of waking.

But I've got 4 young kids who still need me to help them get ready for school in the morning, I have to make their breakfast (and two need their lunches made), and then I have to drop them all off at school.

I usually sip on warm lemon water in the morning while getting them ready so my tummy isn't completely empty.

Then when I get back home from dropping them off, I have my breakfast. So usually a good 2 to 2.5 hours has gone by since I've woken up and put food in my belly. I'm very hungry by this time.

Today I started wondering, since this is a daily thing for me, am I doing more harm by waiting so long to have breakfast? Is my body holding on to whatever I put in my body from that point forward for the rest of the day?

Feel free to laugh at me if this is a completely insane question!!! :laugh:

Replies

• beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely eat much sooner. At least have a protein shake while getting them ready, then finish when you get back. Kind of like flip flopping your breakfast with your mid morning meal.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh no, that is too long to wait to eat...girl I would be getting light headed...LOL

You want your metabolism fired up the moment you get up...even if it is a banana and glass of milk...eat something. Easy stuff, a greek yogurt, have boiled eggs ready, drink a protein shake...girl eat something!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until 2ish hours after I wake, there is just no way I could....I can barely get out of bed and get everyone ready much less have time to eat. haha I have read a lot recently about intermenittent fasting and have several very sucessful friend on here that don't eat anything until lunch time besides maybe coffee. So I try not to worry about it too much. I know there has always been the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I don't kow how true that actually is if you do the research to try and back up that claim. I think you just have to do what works best for you. :)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i was eating about an hour after i got up, after getting kid 2 on the bus and before rousting kid 1 out of bed. however, my body is making new demands on me now. i'm really hungry very soon after getting up, so i'm eating a piece of toast with pb2 or cream cheese and then still eating my regularly scheduled breakfast. i can't make it through the first hour if i don't.
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    Yup, I am with the rest of the posters. You should try to eat something within the first 30-60 minutes. I have a similar routine as your except I drop my son to school and then take off for work so I get to eat my breakfast within the first 45 mins or so...I have been doing this for years now and my body just craves food within the first 30 mins of waking up.

Like Lucia said, boil some eggs and keep in the fridge, I usually just drink milk and a toast or somethig but even if you can have some almond milk, regular milk etc which you just have to pour and chug that will help.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I would absolutely eat much sooner. At least have a protein shake while getting them ready, then finish when you get back. Kind of like flip flopping your breakfast with your mid morning meal.

I never thought to flip flop my breakfast with my mid-morning snack! Great idea!!!!

Thank you all for the feedback!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Yup, I am with the rest of the posters. You should try to eat something within the first 30-60 minutes. I have a similar routine as your except I drop my son to school and then take off for work so I get to eat my breakfast within the first 45 mins or so...I have been doing this for years now and my body just craves food within the first 30 mins of waking up.

Like Lucia said, boil some eggs and keep in the fridge, I usually just drink milk and a toast or somethig but even if you can have some almond milk, regular milk etc which you just have to pour and chug that will help.

I always have hard-boiled eggs on hand so that's also a great idea! At least it'll be something to hold me over until I can sit down and eat a hearty breakfast!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I take a thyroid med in the morning. I am supposed to take it an hour before breakfast. I take it then go on an hour walk. By the time I return, it is time to get kids up and myself in the shower. I drink 32 oz of water while getting ready for work. I don't actually eat until I get to work. It is prob 3 - 4 hours after waking. I spoke to my personal trainer about this. he said that much water should jump start my metabolism. The synthroid should be doing that too. Curious if anyone else knows if that is true? I can easily add a banan but it wouldn't be until after my hour walk.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything for about an hour or two after I get up. I work out first thing in the morning for an hour and I find I feel a little queasy and uncomfortable if I eat anything right before a workout. After I workout, I get ready for the day, grab my breakfast and lunch (both of which I packed the night before), walk to work and eat as soon as my butt hits the chair at my desk!!! The only exception to this is if I've done lifting (3x/week) then I will drink a protein shake immediately after the workout on those days.

Lately I've actually been quite hungry (stomach grumbles and all) during my workout session where as before I started eating more I didn't have that issue. I may have to start grabbing a spoonful of peanut butter right before I workout! Maybe that will be something that will solve the hunger but not make me feel queasy while I exercise.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat about an hour after of getting up. Due to my medication I am suppose to wait for a full hour to pass before I eat/drink anything. So I get myself ready, then my daughter and by that time I am ready to eat.
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about how it plays into the starvation mode thing, but I absolutely have to get something substantial in my belly within 1 1/2 hours of waking...mostly b/c my stomach is always growling when I wake up (~5am)...but I usually don't eat after 6pm though, so that long stretch makes a difference too... Our mornings are so hectic - so instead of sitting down for breakfast, I make a quick smoothie to drink on the commute and then actually nosh on a snack a couple hours later. I've also started packing our lunches the night before....even with just the three of us (plus two dogs) it is just too much in the morning (not a soul in my house is a "morning person" - lol)!!!!

Long story short - if you're tummy is growling in the a.m., IMHO you should get something in there, quick! :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I used to do the intermittant fasting. But I got too hungry soooo I just eat when I start to get hungry. I also have 3 kids I have to get up and get ready for school and then I babysit. Sooo by the time I even get a chance to think about it, its 9 am. Usually hungry then.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I don't eat until 2ish hours after I wake, there is just no way I could....I can barely get out of bed and get everyone ready much less have time to eat. haha I have read a lot recently about intermenittent fasting and have several very sucessful friend on here that don't eat anything until lunch time besides maybe coffee. So I try not to worry about it too much. I know there has always been the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I don't kow how true that actually is if you do the research to try and back up that claim. I think you just have to do what works best for you. :)

Agree with this. Google Intermittant fasting. Its wonderful and goes along with why the media doesnt want you to know that it works wonders.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I take a thyroid med in the morning. I am supposed to take it an hour before breakfast. I take it then go on an hour walk. By the time I return, it is time to get kids up and myself in the shower. I drink 32 oz of water while getting ready for work. I don't actually eat until I get to work. It is prob 3 - 4 hours after waking. I spoke to my personal trainer about this. he said that much water should jump start my metabolism. The synthroid should be doing that too. Curious if anyone else knows if that is true? I can easily add a banan but it wouldn't be until after my hour walk.

I'm also on thyroid meds and have recently started taking them before I go to bed instead of in the morning. All of the restrictions of no calcium or high fiber foods within 4 hours wasn't working for me. So now about an hour after I get up and am at work I eat my monster sized breakfast and take my vitamins for the day.

But I agree, when I wake up I am normally pretty hungry right after waking and try to eat within an hour or so.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the fact that you have to eat within an hour of waking. There's a lot of info out there lately on intermittent fasting and why it's not necessary to do this. I've actually heard that drinking a liter of water upon waking is even better. I do my workout first thing in the morning, have my protein shake shortly after, but don't actually eat a real breakfast until about 3 hours after I've been up.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options

I'm also on thyroid meds and have recently started taking them before I go to bed instead of in the morning. All of the restrictions of no calcium or high fiber foods within 4 hours wasn't working for me. So now about an hour after I get up and am at work I eat my monster sized breakfast and take my vitamins for the day.

But I agree, when I wake up I am normally pretty hungry right after waking and try to eat within an hour or so.

I take my thyroid meds in the middle of the night! I always wake up to pee around 2-3 am so I keep a bottle of water by my bed and just pop my pill then. I do that for the same exact reason you do....the 4 hour period with no calcium!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I take a very simple approach to food timing. What I'm about to say ONLY goes for people who have healed their hunger signals and are actually receiving them normally now. Not folks in the 'force feed' section or the 'super high energy rush' section. So.. avert your eyes or something- go make a pancake. lol

If you wake up and your body wants to be fed- then feed it. If you wake up and the thought of food makes you sick till you've had your shower- then eat then. I don't think you have to drag out a fast, or create a false one since our bodies do it already. I think for some of us with our *very* close to eating disorder territory past- intermittent fasting isn't the smart path to take.

Just eat when you feel it works for you.

Some mornings it takes about an hour for the breakfast I cooked to be ready. Some days this is ok and other days I'm plowing through a banana- something- because my body wants fuel NOW. Some mornings if I even look at food before I've been up for a few hours I'm sick to my stomach.

End section NOT for those at the beginning of refueling ;D
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    5 minutes shower, back in my pyjama and breakfest. So I have breakfest in the first 20 minutes I'm up.

Sometimes in the morning I wake up pretty hungry. I think it's because I'm starting to eat more and not been at it long enough.

But I have to eat when I wake up !
  • pmcjt
    pmcjt Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I second this idea. I wake and work out. Then need to take care of everybody. Sometimes I need to grab a shower then or I won't get one! So I tend to wait too long to eat. I think I'll try either blending a protein shake or even finding a healthy protein bar and have a chunk just to tie you over til you can get a meal.

I had heard it is best to eat, wait a half hour to an hour, then workout. I don't think I could do this unless I got up before the sun!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I wake up earlier than the kids so I have time to fully get ready and eat before I have to start taking care of them. So I always eat within an hour of waking up.