Stage 4

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Hi Agthorn and Shyloh!! How long are the Stage 4 work-outs taking you??

(I just read through this entire thread and have seen one post indicating the "A" work-out was 90 minutes and the "B" workout was 120 minutes!!!)

I truly only have 60 minutes to dedicate to these work-outs....75 minutes if you include the warm-up and end-stretching I HAVE to do.

Anyway, I start here on Monday, although Monday and Wednesday I'll be reviewing Stage 4 with my personal trainer (to keep an eye on form)....so, my "actual" first "A" work-out will be Friday, April 13 (and "B" would be Monday, April 16).

I'm excited to be moving on....I REALLY enjoyed Stage 3!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did a walk-through of Stage 4, work-out A, with my personal trainer, today.

I didn't do the bent-over DB rows in Stage 2 (my balance was too riDONKulous!), but I gave it a good try, today. PT says that I shouldn't look at it as a back exercise, but rather a lower-body exercise, so he only gave me 12 lb DB. I felt like an idiot with such wimpy weights. On the other hand, I was wobbling all over the place during the exercise, so obviously, my balance DOES need attention. Definite room for improvement on that one.

And, sigh, back to the push-ups. Harumph. I haven't improved that much. (I can do 4 on the floor.) I would have thought that I would have improved. But, alas, 'tis untrue. So, PT has me BACK up at bench level, and is telling me to do the push-ups as FAST as I can! He thinks it is a "weak core" issue....not a weak chest issue. And, if I'm focusing on doing them FAST, all the little stabilizing muscles that PT WANTS to 'wake up', he thinks WILL wake up. Colour me EXTRAORDINARILY sad that I'm back up to a 45 degree bench to do my push-ups. Soooooo. VERY. SAD.

It is what it is.

PT will walk me through B work-out on Wednesday, and then I'll dig into Stage 4, from the beginning, on my own come Friday.

Okay, I have to go cry, now. But, I'll come back and feel better about myself once I've had a chance to lick my wounds...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did the walk-through of Stage 4, work-out B, with my personal trainer, today.

I did my deadlifts from the box. (I didn't do this in Stage 2 - I was still working on "good form" with regular ol' deadlifts!) I liked these. And, he made me do my lunges from a box from a LOWER bench....he felt the bench I was using (in Stage 2) created more of a "step up" exercise than a "lunge" exercise. And, as always, to try and engage my glutes, he felt it would be better doing these lunges from a regular ol' step.

I'll go back to doing the prone cobra this stage (since I skipped it in Stage 3!) and I'm choosing to do jack-knifes instead of the captain's chair (which I did in Stage 3 instead of the swiss ball, lol).

Personal trainer thinks I can up my weights pretty significantly when it comes to my lat pull-downs - because I'm pretty strong there. (He thinks I'm too "afraid" to really push myself...maybe I am????) And, he wants me to continue on the slow-and-steady path with my deadlifts. He says my form is very good. With my (former) back injury, he just wants me to carry on slowly and I like that plan.

So, now I start doing Stage 4 on my own. I am choosing to do 3 sets of all of the exercises - although my limited gym time will probably mean I can only do 2 sets of the various ab exercises.

I should finish Stage 4 on April 30 and I am looking forward to upping my weights as I progress through this stage!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I'm right about where you are in Stage 4. I'm still struggling with push ups too! I do them with the Smith machine, rather than the bench, and just have the bar at about the 3rd or 4th hook from the bottom. Someday, I'll be able to do them on the ground! Loving the split squats and front squat/push press, but can only press 50 lbs. And by the 7th or 8th rep, I can barely get it over my head! Kind of tired of the step-ups...

About a week and a half ago, I was having muscle spasms in my lower back, so I'm been pretty tentative with the dead lifts. I had to lower the weight a little and really had to watch my form.

How are you doing on the 120 second planks?? They're killing me! (OK, truth be told, I haven't made it past 90 seconds. But I'm trying!!)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yay, I have company!! Nice to see you, culsas!

I haven't done a 120 second plank - YET! I can do 90 seconds and then I have to pause and then I'm shaking SO BAD through that last 30 seconds. I guess another "good goal" for this stage is to be able to bang out a 120-second plank by the end of it, lol.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in here to say Hi! I am taking a break in between Stage 3 and 4 but I will still follow this thread to see what to expect when I do get started with this Stage... honestly I'm not too thrilled about the comeback of the split squats and the other Stage 2 moves (except the push presses... I really want to improve on those!).

I'm also sweatin' the 120 second planks! I still have a tough time doing 90 seconds! In stage 3 I was able to do one set for 90 seconds and then my other 2 sets dropped to 75 or 60 seconds...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have made the conscious decision to split up my work-outs in Stage 4 (and Stage 5). I will do weight-training on M/W/F, and I will do HIIT, all my ab-work (including what was supposed to be done M/W/F) and stretching on T/Th/Sa.

I really want to do 3 sets and with the increase in the length of planks, etc., there's just NO way I can do abs where they are situated in work-out A and B.

I realize this is NOT the NROL4W program....but, I'm going to do it this way.

I tried it, today, and i can HONESTLY say that my ab-work was WAY better, today, than it has been in any Stage thus far - meaning: I wasn't so tired by the time I got to abs that my form was suffering and my mind was already half-way out the door and back at work.

I'll report back on how it is going. (For example, I did my first plank for 110 seconds - THAT'S RIGHT, I missed the 120 second mark by ONLY 10 seconds! - now, the rest of my planks were 90, rest, 15, rest, 10, rest, 5, lol....but STILL!)
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I being a bit lazy in that I haven't even looked at the workouts for Stage 4 yet, but I just finished reading through this thread and I'm seeing really long times to completion.

Beeps - how long does it take you to get through it by splitting it up?

I can see why authors of lifting/diet/exercise programs would get offended when people don't follow their instructions "by the book" - IF they are complaining about not getting results. Personally, I feel like I have enough experience with lifting to make modifications that suit my circumstances. My main motivation for using books/programs is because it provides an easy template for a routine that is new and interesting. So if modifications make you more likely to exercise your body - do them! *off my soapbox*
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi Birdy, it takes me 60 minutes to do each work-out. And that includes my 5-min warm-up and a few minutes of stretching at the end.

I really like breaking it up - I feel like my abs are FINALLY getting something other than "left-over energy".

And, I have a REALLY sore bum, today - and traps....so, upping my weights for yesterday's session was a good idea. We'll see if I can up my push-press tomorrow!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Just checking back in here... I think breaking up the workouts sounds like a great idea! I totally agree with Beeps - it definitely feels like the abs part of the workout doesnt get a fair amount of energy being shoved to the end! I will probably break up these workouts in a similar way once I get started again with Stage 4.

I will be getting into some push presses on Sunday and finally be able to get back to a normal lifting routine, even though it wont necessarily be NROL... Hope you dont mind me sticking around these boards though - I just love all the support going on over here :blushing:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You'd better stick around, DarkAngel....as I approach each successive stage of NROL4W, there are less-and-less (active) posters on the pinned up board!

I couldn't do my lifting, yesterday - so I ended up just leaving it as a pure "skip" day. Which meant it was back to HIIT/abs and stretching, today.

Instead of doing 120 second planks, I decided to do planks on the bosu ball (forearms) with my toes on an aerobic step bench. Is that actually "harder" than a normal floor plank???? (I think it is, because you introduce the "instability" with the bosu ball.)

I don't think I'm ready to do a swiss ball (forearms)/bench (toes) combo, yet....but, I felt challenged on the bosu - I only got in 75 second planks (x 3) doing that.

And, I love the woodchop....much more than the angled one in Stage 3 (and 5) - the straight across I can REALLY FEEL.

Anyway, it's back to lifting, tomorrow. Workout A.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Darkangel - YES! Please stick around. I want to hear how Crossfit is going, too.

Beeps - Planks on the ball are harder. I've played around with doing them forearm/floor and forearm/bench, and I think the bench is a little harder maybe, but not a huge difference. I can almost do all 3 sets of floor planks (no ball) for 120 seconds - the last set I wimped out around 90 seconds. On the swiss ball, only for maybe 75-80 seconds tops. Much much harder.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Darkangel - YES! Please stick around. I want to hear how Crossfit is going, too.

Beeps - Planks on the ball are harder. I've played around with doing them forearm/floor and forearm/bench, and I think the bench is a little harder maybe, but not a huge difference. I can almost do all 3 sets of floor planks (no ball) for 120 seconds - the last set I wimped out around 90 seconds. On the swiss ball, only for maybe 75-80 seconds tops. Much much harder.

if you have a bosu ball and are looking for a tougher option bosu planks with the bosu ball side down and your feet on top are great, so are forearms on ball feet on bench.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    allabtlm - I'm curious about the option you posted - so, would I have my forearms on the convex sice of one bosu (which is what I tried yesterday) and my toes on the flat side of a separate bosu (which I haven't tried - I had my feet on a step-bench)?? Or, would BOTH my forearms and my toes be on the flat side of (separate) bosu??

I know I'm not ready to do a swiss ball/bench combo, yet....but I am more interested in building up to something like that, than to continue doing planks on the floor (for a gazillion seconds).
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello few! :) I started Stage 4 last Saturday and was a little disappointed that it's just like stage 2 but oh well gives me room to improve on some of those moves like the squat press (ugh!)! Does anyone have tips on the Bulgarian split squat? I feel like these are really similar to the lunges from the box. Also any tips on how to spice up the flexion exercises would be fantastic! I try to add weights and I do them on a ball but they still are boring and I feel like I'm not being challenged enough.

I also make the interval workout separate from the lifting day, I do them over lunch and it takes 30-45 minutes to do the lifting routine if I speed up my rests (which kills me but it's a good workout!) :) So I do the intervals on another day and usually don't go by exactly what they say I just try to push myself as hard as I can on the treadmill. :) like I'll up the speed/incline for 45-60 seconds and then rest around the same amount and go again and I try to do that 4-5 times. Sometimes I do a Turbo Fire HIIT workout and consider that my interval training.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I find the bulgarian split squat harder than anything else. My hip flexors can hardly even permit them some days! And, keeping the focus on the GLUTE is VERY tough. (And, making sure the back leg isn't working, at all, is VERY tough.)

I'm glad you are posting here, kneubee! Your pictures look very impressive!
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Is the difference between the bulgarian split squat and the static lunge that you shouldn't be working that back leg at all with the BSS?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    There are 2 key differences (imho):

1. On the static lunge - you are using a step-height bench for your back foot. On the bulgarian - you are using a bench height bench (i.e. one that you might do bench press with, etc.) for your back foot....meaning: the bench is MUCH higher for the bulgarian split squat than for the static lunge.

2. On the static lunge, the toes of your back foot are on the step (see photo in book). On the bulgarian split squat, your back foot, the TOP of your foot is resting on the bench (not your toes). Sometimes, I even rest my ankle on the back bench in the bulgarian split squat, just to make sure there isn't any pressure on that part of my body.

In both movements, you are actually trying to go straight up-and-down (i.e. drop your hips straight down and then back up) and in both movements, you want your back knee to *almost* graze the ground and your front knee to be at a 90 degree angle at the bottom part of the movement. In both movements, the work is done with your FRONT leg - and the glute muscle that is attached to that front leg....I REALLY have to squeeze my glutes in these exercises....so TOUGH on me!

These 2 exercises do work many of the same muscles, but they also work different muscles (I'm not up on my physiology to explain which works where!).

I hope this helps you.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did my second last B work-out, today. I only went up for the last set of my bulgarian split-squats....and, I used a 35 lb plate!! Gack - is THAT ever uncomfortable!! (I wish there was 15 lb. plates at my gym, so that I didn't have to go from 25 to 35.) I guess I could try DB's, but since I only have one B work-out left, I probably won't.

All of my other weights stayed the same. Which is fine.

I tried to do a "flex" by the mirror, today, to see if I could see the bicep and tricep muscle development...and, I really couldn't. (I just left my arm straight by my side, but tightened my fist....bicep shows up if I do a "gun" pose.) Boooooo.

I'll be sad to see this Stage go....in part because it's back to the "body matrix" in Stage 5!! (Mind you, the body matrix is a REALLY good exercise for my bum....it's just REALLY hard to do it!)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I finished my last "A" work-out, today. I stayed the same in my squat push-press (60 lbs.) - boo. But, nice and deep, good form. I'll take it!

I went up on my step-ups to 20 lb. DB's (on a 20"-high bench). Not sure if that was the smartest thing, ever....because I REALLY had to LAUNCH myself up....so, I feel like I sacrificed some form on my urge to get up to 20's.

I went up on my one-point rows (20 lb. DB's). The funny thing, I *know* I could row more weight....but, this is such a "balance" exercise and I really was concentrating on my glutes on this one, not my back.

I went up on my static lunges (22.5 lb. DB's). I probably should have pushed THIS exercise more-and-more throughout this stage....I think I was at 25 lb. DB's somewhere in Stage 2. Oh well.

And, I am down to the 3rd rung on the smith machine for my push-ups. I'm okay with this. I *did* want to be on the floor by now, but I'm not. Can't explain it. I'm just not. What-evah!!

Oh, and I have a lunch, tomorrow, so I squished in *some* of the abs....2 sets of 60 second planks (because I've moved up to bosu under my arms and under my toes....can't do 120 seconds of THAT!) and 2 sets of wood-chop. STILL LOVE THE WOOD-CHOP!

One more "B" and then it's au revoir to numero quatre!