Finding the Time to Get Fit

Options
It is crazy to think of the busy lifestyles we live on a daily basis. You jump out of bed with your mind racing the instant your alarm goes off and the flow of constant movement in your mind doesn't stop until you inevitably pass out from exhaustion at night. I know this all too well. I am a mother of twin girls. They are in Kindergarten. I am as active as I can be in their school... In addition to my children I am married to the most winderful man in the world since 2001. My husband and I are both employed full time. We also are both 3/4 time students in college. There is little or no time extra to do anything... Or is there? I am saying this as I sit here in front of the computer. SITTING IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER>>> Hmmm... I think this would have been a great opportunity to exercise with my daughters who are in cleaning up their room.

Everything is an opportunity to exercise. I want to start today by getting into an exercise routine with my daughters when they come home from school. It is a start!
Tell me about you and how you will "Find the time to Get Fit."

Replies

• lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    I know what you mean. I recently made some huge changes and guess what? The time was there! I have an 11 year old son and 6 year old daughter, husband of 21 years and a full time job- NOT even mentioning the active social life!!! I want to lose a total of 50 lbs ( baby weight - did I mention shes almost 7!) Soooo....I
    1) had the satellite tv / home internet cancelled.
    2) did some major reorganizing (pre- separating laundry, designating exact spaces for things upon entering, etc.. to cut out the CONSTANT picking up)
    3) prep food in advance as much as possible at night (no tv makes it easy to find something to do!)
    4) and informed my family I was walking/ jogging/ riding... doing SOMETHING in the evenings. Sometimes together with them, sometimes alone.
    Funny with no entertainment: my laundry is always done, kitchen is cleaned after dinner, lawn is mowed AND I still have time to work out!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I too work full time and have 2 boys active in sports, I feel like I'm always at ball park and can i say those nachos are sooooo tempting! haha I recently got the brazil butt lift videos but have NO time to do them! When we're not doing ball or church I "attempt" to get my house in order which is chaos half the time, then who has energy to work out! When do you all find the time to do it?? Not to mention I sit at a desk most days for work, I need to lose about 15 pounds and its soooooo hard!
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I am a mom with three sons at home (18, 13, and 12), and I'm almost a newlywed (married a little over a year) after being a widowed mom on her own for almost 4 years. I am a school counselor at a disciplinary alternative education campus, and between my career, my boys, my husband, church, and everything else, time is limited.

I make myself get up every morning and hit the gym at 5:00 am. My evenings are a conglomeration of *this game, *that performance, *those meetings, and "other duties as assigned," besides cleaning, cooking, and other general mom stuff. My sweet husband is a truck driver who is only home 2-3 days a week so we have to keep everything up and running as smoothly as possible (like a well-oiled machine) to prevent chaos. Though with three sons, chaos is afoot 99% of the time. ;)

I started a physician-supervised weight loss program AND joined my gym on 2/15/2012. I'm down 36 pounds since then. My boys are all pretty good about eating whatever I cook now, even though it's healthy and usually high protein and low carb. I have the full support of my hubby and my friends, which helps tremendously. Everyone knows that I get and deserve my gym time, and also time to exercise in the evenings when possible. We try to make those family walks in the neighborhood or something similar.

It's hard to be all things to all people when you are a mom. Right now I'm trying to focus on me for a little bit so I can be better for them. Best of luck to each of you in your own journey to health and fitness.
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    Introductions:
    I'm 35, mom to twin girls that are 31months. They're adopted, and I still need to lose 60 lbs of baby wait....No that's not a typo. I gained 95 lbs after getting married and going through 9 years of ordeals trying to conceive, and we didn't go whole-hog to the extent that some people do. I just took medications. So there was a lot of waiting involved in our becoming parents.

So, now that we've had our daughters for a little over a year and I have finally started to wrap my head around this parenting thing, I'm happier than I've ever been, and need to be healthier to match.

Because the girls are so young, and because one of them has special needs, and because I work full time as a teacher plus teach music lessons on the side, and because my husband is a minister - which is a 24/7 job - I have lived comfortably with my excuses for a long time. So now that I'm trying to work out more, time of day is my biggest challenge.

Early in the morning is only good as long as the girls are still asleep. Late in the evening is good if I prioritize it first, rather than jumping into housework. But then I'm too revved up to sleep.

What times of day do you working parents squeeze in your workouts? Early, late, mid? Anybody workout during your lunchbreak...because my schedule would allow for that, but I'm worried about changing clothes, being stinky the rest of the day, since I don't have access to shower.
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm impressed, that is a bold move, cancelling the cable. I think there would be a riot in my house, in fact I'm sure of it. But yes, I do turn off the TV and make the kids go outside when ever it is nice out. I hate it when they sit and watch TV, do anything but that, even if it is playing a computer game, at least using their brains a little bit.

I may try the 5AM exercise, I have to find some time to do it, I have a really hard time waking up, so not sure how this will work, need to make the commitment to do it and get buy in from the hubby as my kids are up early and I will not be back before my son is up and running.

*also wanted to say to anyone in the group to friend me if you like! :smile:
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey my intro........Single Mom (45)raising an ACTIVE 12 yr old competetive gymnast ( thank GOSH season ends this weekend) - I work full time and at night 4 nights a week I run her to practices, homework and meals.... I have 5 minutes I have by myself in the morning to drink a cup of coffee. I am up at 4:30 and due to the fact I have a thyroid issue I am usually a SLEEP by 9!
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    Father of five, ranging in ages from newly-8 to almost 20. I get my workouts in either on my lunch break (stairs are great!) or after 830 when the youngest are safely in bed. A local 24 hr gym is my 'me time' where I can just go, sweat, and be "away" from the daily stress. Then it's time to go home again, make sure laundry is running, notes are signed, school lunches packed, and so forth 'til the next day starts it all over again.
    The kids are worth it. I plan to hang around on this planet long enough to see them all become Evil Overlords in their own right.
  • darkbutterfly32
    Options
    I am a mother of 2 ages 11 months and almost 3. I wake up at 4 am and get to the gym at 5 while the kids are asleep, come home and get the fiancée up for work, try to nap before the kids get up, get up with the kids, make breakfast, run after them all day while trying to clean the house, get ready for work, get home at 1 am and try to get an hour of sleep before starting all over again! whew!
  • Theaandelsa
    Theaandelsa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any magic solution but you have to just make a commitment to yourself which ain't easy. I have promised to myself to run three days per week and make myself go out even if it's just a short run. Then on the other days I concentrate on arms abs or stretching. I have two kids aged three and four and manage a legal practice so my life is pretty full. Have an extra 10lbs since kids and it's been one step forward two steps back on weight loss front. I am always able to give myself some excuse and feel that because I work so hard that I deserve pizza and garlic bread . Want to lose this extra weight but not sure if I can even manage to do a small bit of self sacrifice ESP as going on girls night out on Saturday which is a really rare occasion. Anyway will try do good tomorrow and just take it one day at a time.
  • ashleyb457
    Options
    Hi my name is Ashley and I have two kids 6 and 8. Full time OR nurse so I run around all day. When I get home my second shift starts as mother with laundry, dinner, homework, and practices. I am really so drained that the last thing I want to do is get on the eliptical!! Any suggestions would be great. Hope i can get some motivation and support from you all cause I need it! :D Started my fitness pal last week and am down 3 lbs Wooot!!! but than I ate 2 pieces of pizza today and went over my calories. : ( Tomorrow is a new day!

21365265.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Organize! That's my best advice. I made a proper kid friendly place for everything - book bags, shoes, jackets, laundry (NOT THE FLOOR!!!) They also scrap their plates and put them in the sink, etc. I've shaved an hour just by not having to follow their trails of junk every day! Im no longer the MAID. =] good luck!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym at lunch and I would shower there which worked out great but I got so busy at work that sometimes I wouldnt even get a lunch. Now I try to walk at lunch and I keep deoderant at work and body spray to "freshen up" My husband works nights so I don't have the option to go to the gym early in morning and when he gets home its time to get kids up and ready for school. :(
    I recently got the brazil butt lift videos and I'm having a hard time working those in!! lol
    I think just walking when I have free time and maybe do some home exercises may be my best bet and trying to eat healthier. Its hard!! lol
  • moonpony
    moonpony Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time working mom of two. My son is 2.5 years and my daughter will be 1 next week. A couple months ago they both started finally sleeping through most nights, and I finally was able to crawl out of my sleep deprived haze of the past couple years enough to actually get back working out. I work out 2-3 nights a week after the kids go to sleep. Some of those nights my hubby helps get the baby to sleep so I can get my workout in without staying up all night. I have an elliptical and an exercise bike in the basement. I use watching fun TV series as my motivator. It is my time to watch stuff my hubby isn't interested in. ;) We also have been going out on our bikes with the kids in the trailer the past couple weekends. Pulling 55 pounds of kids plus 35 or so of trailer plus gear is a lot harder than just biking alone!
  • vlrox69
    vlrox69 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this site. I am 22. I am married to the love of my life as of November 18 2010. We got pregnant in January of 2011 and I had sever complications and almsot died. I gained a ton of weight due to pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes. I was always tan, cheerleader, gymnast, and at 5ft i weighed 115-130 pounds. NEVER over 130. After having my son i reached 216 pounds. Yes at 5ft. The doctors gave me lasics because almost all 100 extra pounds were water. So i shed down to 150ish? Well my son is a happy healthy 7 month old and i am 182 as of 10 days ago, now im 179 pounds. I need to lose roughly 50 pounds. I am not trying to wear a bikini or be super skinny. I want to be healthy, look better and not be so depressed. The changes i have currently made are no sweets, no eating 3 hours before i go to bed, no sodas, and no breads. However this is very hard and i struggle everyday. Some days i am good, some days not so much. I have been whipping out the stroller and going for walks most days 3 miles. I do not work bc since my son will probably be my only child i want to stay home til he is at least one to experience life with him. I am a full time student, going to be a paramedic. I have not ever had a good work ethic so i guess you could my motivation in everything is gone. I need strength, courage, support and willpower and determination. I get so motivated and do so good for a few weks then i go backwards so i need to stick withthis!!!
  • erin_k2012
    erin_k2012 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi my name is Ashley and I have two kids 6 and 8. Full time OR nurse so I run around all day. When I get home my second shift starts as mother with laundry, dinner, homework, and practices. I am really so drained that the last thing I want to do is get on the eliptical!! Any suggestions would be great. Hope i can get some motivation and support from you all cause I need it! :D Started my fitness pal last week and am down 3 lbs Wooot!!! but than I ate 2 pieces of pizza today and went over my calories. : ( Tomorrow is a new day!

21365265.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Well, luckily your running around at work is a small workout in itself. Be diligent on here. Everyday. Don't falter because that is what happened to me. I lost 40 lbs on here ... fell off the wagon and gained 30 lbs back. (FAIL)

I did little workouts during house work. Did lunges during vacuuming, did squats during laundry, I can not set aside a full 30 minutes in one workout.
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I've shaved some time off of household chores...since my boys are older (12, 13, and 18) I have a rule at the house about laundry...if it does not find its way into the laundry room, it doesn't get washed (by me, anyway). My 18 year old does his own and has for a couple of years now, but the other two I'm not sure I'd trust to do it and actually get CLEAN clothes out of the process...LOL! So now, I don't spend precious time digging dirty (and sometimes clean) clothes out of their floor or piles in the corners or wherever else it might be stuffed. If they want it clean, they bring it to me to wash. It's worked like a charm...especially after my 13 year old didn't have his favorite school pants to wear one Monday morning.

We also have rules about backpacks/shoes/socks/papers/notebooks/etc...they go in their rooms FIRST thing when they walk in the door so I don't have to follow behind them and pick up the trail of destruction they leave in their wake sometimes.

I keep them on a strict morning schedule so that everyone gets up, showered, dressed, fed, lunch made, teeth brushed, etc. and we still make it to school and work on time. Fitting time in to go to the gym amidst all this was easy...I go at 5 am, before anyone else even THINKS about waking up.

Exercise early in the morning...before your body knows what you're doing. ;)
  • erin_k2012
    Options
    I know what you mean. I recently made some huge changes and guess what? The time was there! I have an 11 year old son and 6 year old daughter, husband of 21 years and a full time job- NOT even mentioning the active social life!!! I want to lose a total of 50 lbs ( baby weight - did I mention shes almost 7!) Soooo....I
    1) had the satellite tv / home internet cancelled.
    2) did some major reorganizing (pre- separating laundry, designating exact spaces for things upon entering, etc.. to cut out the CONSTANT picking up)
    3) prep food in advance as much as possible at night (no tv makes it easy to find something to do!)
    4) and informed my family I was walking/ jogging/ riding... doing SOMETHING in the evenings. Sometimes together with them, sometimes alone.
    Funny with no entertainment: my laundry is always done, kitchen is cleaned after dinner, lawn is mowed AND I still have time to work out!

I am cancelling my cable as of this Friday!!! Thanks for the idea!
  • erin_k2012
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this site. I am 22. I am married to the love of my life as of November 18 2010. We got pregnant in January of 2011 and I had sever complications and almsot died. I gained a ton of weight due to pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes. I was always tan, cheerleader, gymnast, and at 5ft i weighed 115-130 pounds. NEVER over 130. After having my son i reached 216 pounds. Yes at 5ft. The doctors gave me lasics because almost all 100 extra pounds were water. So i shed down to 150ish? Well my son is a happy healthy 7 month old and i am 182 as of 10 days ago, now im 179 pounds. I need to lose roughly 50 pounds. I am not trying to wear a bikini or be super skinny. I want to be healthy, look better and not be so depressed. The changes i have currently made are no sweets, no eating 3 hours before i go to bed, no sodas, and no breads. However this is very hard and i struggle everyday. Some days i am good, some days not so much. I have been whipping out the stroller and going for walks most days 3 miles. I do not work bc since my son will probably be my only child i want to stay home til he is at least one to experience life with him. I am a full time student, going to be a paramedic. I have not ever had a good work ethic so i guess you could my motivation in everything is gone. I need strength, courage, support and willpower and determination. I get so motivated and do so good for a few weks then i go backwards so i need to stick withthis!!!
    This is my second go round with this site and I lost 40 lbs the first time. Be diligent and keep this forever as part of you r daily routine. It works well. Good luck!
  • ashleyb457
    ashleyb457 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey Everyone. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other! 7 lbs down 43 to gooo!!!
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What times of day do you working parents squeeze in your workouts? Early, late, mid? Anybody workout during your lunchbreak...because my schedule would allow for that, but I'm worried about changing clothes, being stinky the rest of the day, since I don't have access to shower.
    [/quote]

A couple of years back when my company moved a tiny department out of a space that used to be our old cafeteria, they were advertising it as an "Employee Lounge" and right away I went to check the space out as all I could think of was "yoga at lunch time, how great would that be?". I can happily report that myself and over 120 other employees workout in classes ranging from yoga, kickboxing, bootcamp, muscle conditioning, pilates, circuit training, Zumba, etc., all on our lunch breaks! I recognize that I am very fortunate in this fact and take full advantage of the fact that I can get a kick-*kitten* workout in that disrupts neither my husband's schedule or the kids! Of course, those pesky last-minute meeting invites when you were just about to go to your class are not fun, but work still comes first. Thankfully there are usually 3 classes over the lunch time, that I can hopefully just catch a later or earlier class. I get in at least 3 per week and sometimes 4 if the things are in my favour. And to deal with the sweaty part post-workout, I use baby wipes as my "shower" and it seems to work...no one seems to avoid me, so I can't be too smelly!