JMBR hurting back and knee

Options
jupityjupe
jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
I just started phase 2, workout 5 today and I am seriously beginning to wonder if I will be able to finish the program...I am finding it is really causing pain to my knee, and to a lesser extent my back...to be fair, I have an old knee injury (miniscus and acl tear and tibia fx) plus bulging disk at level of L4-5 but I have not had problems with other workout dvds so I am concerned....

anybody else having issues with injuries or flare ups with this programs and what are you doing to help?

Replies

• formerpyt
    formerpyt Posts: 56
    Options
    My knees are sore also (had to abandon my running routine for fear I'd really have serious problems). I think you can modify and still keep up with the program. For example, during the alternating knee thrusts of Cardio 2, I take a couple of little steps to adjust the direction of my leg instead of the slide/swivel I see everyone doing on the DVD. Is there is anything you can do comfortably? Since many of the exercises are beginning to combine upper and lower body at this point, you might find a way to adjust and keep the upper body activity going. I know you didn't have much to lose, you'll probably still benefit from most of the toning/strength aspects of the program even if you modify to your comfort level.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting to get worried. I know my knees and my lower back are my problem areas. My back is fine so far but my knees start to get weaker. I am not sure how to put put it but my knees don't really hurt but I kind of feel them all day long if that makes sense. I ordered two knee supports and I am hoping that will ease the problems. I am really unhappy about this as I am only at the end of phase 1 so the proper jumping around hasn't even started yet. I love this program and would be so upset if I would have to stop. I am hoping the knee support and modifying the workouts will do the trick and I can continue.

What is everyone else with knee issues doing?
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My knees are sore also (had to abandon my running routine for fear I'd really have serious problems). I think you can modify and still keep up with the program. For example, during the alternating knee thrusts of Cardio 2, I take a couple of little steps to adjust the direction of my leg instead of the slide/swivel I see everyone doing on the DVD. Is there is anything you can do comfortably? Since many of the exercises are beginning to combine upper and lower body at this point, you might find a way to adjust and keep the upper body activity going. I know you didn't have much to lose, you'll probably still benefit from most of the toning/strength aspects of the program even if you modify to your comfort level.

since i just started phase 2 and have only done the first workout i don't know about the cardio but the first part of workout 5 where you do that yoga maneuver was nearly impossible (and i can't figure out how to modify it) as well as other parts...i did find that my knee has been incredibly sore since about the 3rd week of phase 1 and now that the workouts are getting harder, well how am i to do phase 3?

yes, i do only need to lose a little and it is the toning i am after, but not at the expense of my joints lol
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I don't have knee or back issues but I tend to get shin splints rather easily when I'm doing a lot of jumping or high intensity cardio. I've been taking ibuprofen about 60 minutes before working out and if my shins are still bothering me, I just do low impact but hold weights so I'm at least still getting a good burn, just with less jumping.

Is there any way you can modify the moves like I do so you're not in pain or uncomfortable?
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've had to modify several moves. When phase 2 cardio came around, I quickly learned that I would have to do any dvd I have. My knees absolutely couldnot take this kind of pounding 6 days a week. I will say that I have gotten much stronger, so we'll see what phase 3 brings. I did end up getting the new Turbo Fire "fire starter". It doesn't have any jumpimg, but still a very intense w/o.
  • Jmfo1
    Jmfo1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I also had to do some modifications for my knees. I didn't actually injure them, but I could tell that some of the exercises could potentially cause me to twist my knees (especially those swinging lumber jack lunges in phase 2). I just made sure to go really slow on those exercise and make sure I had proper knee/foot placement. However, as my strength and flexibility are improving in my legs it seems to be less of an issue. Just be patient and allow yourself to go slowly and do fewer reps if needed. Also, modify the cardio (jumping) portions with other forms of cardio. The burpies also stress my knees so I just either run in place or do jumping jacks instead.