Skipping Stages?!?!

Options
I've seen a few on MFP and in other forums say they skipped stage 1 and went straight to stage 2. Or skipped to even later stages. I'm curious to see if anyone here has done so?! Why did you choose to do that? What are YOUR thoughts on skipping stages or adding to the existing workouts?

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I'm gonna go by the book - of course, if something's waaaay too easy I'll be making some adjustments. ie: I'm finding Swiss Ball Crunches way too easy so trying to find a way to make them more challenging - going to add a heavier plate or two & use wrist weights. I want the full benefits!!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been going by the book. I would never skip stage 1 altogether. If I'd been heavy lfiting already then I might have shortened it.

BUt, now that I'm reading NRoL fL I may abandon FW and go with that instead. Or maybe I'll modify with some of the stuff I pick up from "for Life". I haven't decided yet. In the new book there are some new rules. For example, you don't have to rest for a prescribed time - just enough to recover to lift well the next set. I'd already abandoned the recovery between ab stuff in stage 2 - it seemed ridiculous :)
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting heavy so I've been going by the book. I've made a few modifications but those were mostly due to old injuries.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm into my third week of Stage 1 and was very tempted to skip it last week. Finishing within or at 30 minutes was just weird for me... I finished A1 and I was like... "That's it?" So I stayed for another 15-20 minutes on an elliptical machine, just to feel "complete". The second week, I increased the weight by the book.... increase again this week and I am honestly too tired to add on. I did A3 last night and just stretched afterwards.

There's definitely a method to the madness... I'd say stick with the book. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I followed the book to a "T" through all 7 stages for the exercises, but I ignored the diet plan (calories) and instead used MFP as it's intended to be used. The authors are the experts. Plus I wanted to avoid injuries and overtraining.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I followed the book with the program, but just like bizco did not follow the diet plan. I finished all 7 stages and I'm very happy with the results!
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too did it the way it was written. I did not do Stage 6 which is technically optional. I was just ready to mix it up at that point. Thrilled with results. takes time and commitment but really works if you work it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I did it as it was writen. I didn't do stage 6 because it is optional
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,960 Member
    Options
    I don't think skipping stages is the way to get the results the NROL4W book is supposed to help you achieve.

I have modified an exercise or two to work around a (nagging) injury.

I am going to do Stage 6.
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage1 and at first found it so easy and almost pointless. But I kept on and kept increasing my weight and I have progressed so much! The only thing I didn't find easy was the jackknifes on the ball. BUT, I'm doing those now with near perfect form when I could barely do 1 to start. I think the program is designed the way it is for many reasons and I wouldn't mess with it.