How to be a good girlfriend and more questions...

La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
Men, what's a good girlfriend consist of? So far, I'm impressed in myself but I've also slipped up here and there... Here's the good girlfriend list so far:

Smiley was as sick as a dog last week. I took care of him 2 days in a row. He absolutely appreciated and I overheard him telling his brothers twice at the party about how I waited on him as he was "dying". He was grumpy towards the end because he just wanted to get better and I just kept my cool.

I'm usually bubbly although, PMS was rough with me these last few days and he saw a side of me that he didn't know existed. But happy La_Amazona is back and he sure is glad. But he has a bubbly happy girlfriend.

I have started to treat him on our dates. Last night, he helped me move all my heavy boxes after helping his brother move in. I took him out to dinner in appreciation.

I'm adventurous. He loves this. I'm not a gal that's going to love whatever my bf loves but I'm open to trying new things. He's introduced me to a new sport, new music, etc etc... I'll be honest if I don't like it too.

He sees that I take care of myself physically. He knows I work out and try to eat well. He also knows I'm a girly girl which he very much appreciates.

Our sexual chemistry is explosive even w/o actual sex. Seriously. It's hot. He gets hot over me soooo easy it's flattering.

I compliment him and encourage him whether it's how he looks, his football skills, his kissing, cooking, whatever. I like to make him smile.

Okay now the bad things.. ahem. :blushing:

I've been super duper emotional. I hate it. Part of it is PMS, and seeing that we've only been official for 2 weeks, yeah, he got to see me in my worst state very early on. (I pms is for 3-4 days before and about 2-3 days after the start of my (.). I'm not using this as an excuse but I'm also not on birth control which when I was, it'd help with my PMS)
The other part is all this new territory. I've done a lot of healing on my own, I got into therapy when I was contemplating a divorce to help me decide and then with the transition and conquered being happily single. Being vulnerable again scares the crap out of me. I've had a couple of freakouts where I want to run away and hide in a shell and just be single because it's THAT scary to me. I really like him and the more I do, the scarier for me. He's been patient but I never want him to think he's cleaning up a mess that isn't his... it's just all these new emotions are scary. I've told him this and he says he understands. He's scared too.

When I would share my feelings with the ex, I'd get shot down or he'd just stare at me with a blank cold look on his face. I think because of this, I'm scared each time I share with Smiley. I immediately think I'm being too dramatic and maybe I shouldn't be so open with him. I guess I'm not sure where the line is.
A friend told me to start our relationship with communication. Be open with him but don't tell him everything. This is hard because I'm one to not talk about feelings. I never blab my business. But I want to stop letting fear control me and be open with those I love and trust.

So guys, when is a girl TOO emotional??

That's all the bad I can think of.

I've learned... I'm a confident girl but being vulnerable shakes me.

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Stop over thinking it. Go with the flow & happiness will follow.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    Just be yourself,that is who he has fallen for.
    If you hate parts of your character (too emotional) then work on dealing with that but first try talking to him about it.
    He may like that part of you and it will be a good chance to have a mature,honest and open discussion about where things are headed.
  • La_Amazona
    That's what he said! He says I think too much. I can't help it. I've gotten so good looking for "red flags" that I'm hyper aware and have 20 eyes open looking for one in him. It's annoying and frustrating.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    I'd say your 100% normal and don't change yourself in any way. You've acted naturally, he's still there. Take that as a compliment and ENJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY it, you're overthinking things way too much.

I think every guy on here will be able to relate to a woman being a little bit off at her times of the month etc, that's just normal anyway, if you're emotional then fine because he seems to accept it as long as you communicate well which you have been doing everything will be fine.
  • mrmanmeat
    That's what he said! He says I think too much. I can't help it. I've gotten so good looking for "red flags" that I'm hyper aware and have 20 eyes open looking for one in him. It's annoying and frustrating.

So, stop.

You're seriously over thinking this. If something comes up, let it come up and deal with it then. Don't make problems that can be avoided.
  • La_Amazona
    Last night we talked about reassurance which he said I shouldn't need it in words so much. He said.. "you should know by my actions, by me wanting to help you move, by me always wanting to see you even when I'm tired, by me showing you just how much I like you, more so than any words I can say".

It makes sense.

Then I cried. I CRIED. God he probably thinks I'm nuts. I told him I've been through a lot and though I've picked myself up.. I'm scared. He hugged me and told me he liked me a lot. :heart:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    "What does a good girlfriend consist of?" is a difficult question to answer, and it is also a subjective one. If I tried to answer it, I might miss some details, and I like to be thorough.

@Amazona-The way you describe your current situation, things seem fine. You've been seeing each other about a month now, it seems like he wants to keep seeing you. The best way to gauge the early part of a relationship is if the other person wants to keep seeing you.
  • La_Amazona
    Thank you boys.

Does a girl crying freak you out? Seems Smiley is okay with it but we were in the dark in bed, for all I know he could have been rolling his eyes, laughing at me or giving me a deer in headlights look. I doubt it.. but I've always heard a woman crying makes a guy freak out.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    You boys are being no help. lol.

I have the same FEAR that you have. I hate pushing that onto him because it is nothing that he did or even would think of doing .. but when you burn your hand on a stove .. you don't touch it again ... it is a learned behavior. Everyone has had something happen to them that changes the way they view things.

I am very emotional as well .. and change my mind at the drop of a hat .. in fact .. last weekend I said something and then like an hour later I said never mind .. I don't think that .. then like 2 seconds later I changed it back and he goes .. wait did you just change your mind in 2 seconds ... lol .. I laughed so hard !!!! It was rediculous. I know I am a complete pain in the *kitten* .. but it's me.

My thought is the more real you are now .. the more you show him of you .. the better. That way he knows EXACTLY what he's getting into!! lol

But .. on a serious note .. how do men feel about dealing with the crap left behind by another man.
  • DMZ_1
    But .. on a serious note .. how do men feel about dealing with the crap left behind by another man.

It depends on what the crap is. After about age 20-22 or so, it is difficult to date someone that hasn't had some sort of difficult breakup. Everyone has some sort of crap to deal with.

Most men aren't particularly keen on raising the child another man created. That's why we had yesterday's chat about men not wanting to date single mothers.
  • DMZ_1
    Thank you boys.

Does a girl crying freak you out? Seems Smiley is okay with it but we were in the dark in bed, for all I know he could have been rolling his eyes, laughing at me or giving me a deer in headlights look. I doubt it.. but I've always heard a woman crying makes a guy freak out.

It depends on a number of factors. I wouldn't automatically saying that crying freaks me out, but the context matters. And crying early on when you are in the courting phase and supposed to be on best behavior (let's face it-both sides are exhibiting their best behaviors in the first few months or so until the comfort factor is there) isn't the best way in general to create endearing feelings. But, there is a time and place for it.
  • La_Amazona
    See, I've also realized, I'm not scared of Smiley cheating on me, I don't think. He's given me no reason NOT to trust him and this is HUGE for me. I've always came into relationships with the "you have to earn my trust" and with him, I've decided to trust him (to a certain point as trust will grow as we grow) because he deserves a clean slate.

I'm just scared of getting hurt again.. which in retrospect I was hurt because I was cheated on but it was more the betrayal, the lies, etc. I've told Smiley to always be honest with me. No matter what. I've also told him if he simply isn't interested in me anymore one day to just tell me, he asked the same from me.

I agree that we all have our "baggage". But I purposely never want to make him pay for my ex's cheating. On the other hand, he is dealing with fears from that cheating/ hurt.
  • La_Amazona
    Thank you boys.

It depends on a number of factors. I wouldn't automatically saying that crying freaks me out, but the context matters. And crying early on when you are in the courting phase and supposed to be on best behavior (let's face it-both sides are exhibiting their best behaviors in the first few months or so until the comfort factor is there) isn't the best way in general to create endearing feelings. But, there is a time and place for it.

I agree. Okay no more crying. (see now I'm overthinking about how I cried last night)

STOP STOP STOP.

He's helping me move again tonight. I make a vow with you all single peeps that it will be fun and 'light'. No heavy emotional pms'y talks. Thankyouverymuch.
  • arrow460
    arrow460 Posts: 28 Member
    I feel the need to jump in here at this point...I have also made that agreement in past relationships. Unfortunately, from my experience most people can not bring themselves to just say Ive lost interest in this relationship, its not headed in a direction I would like to go. They seem to try to push the other person away and make them unhappy enough that they think they will say it for them!
  • mrmanmeat
    Thank you boys.

All depends on what you're crying about.

If you're crying because you're emotional at that TOM and upset about something, no it doesn't freak me out. If you're crying because I can't take another episode of Lifetime, then, well, suck it up sweetheart :)
  • mrmanmeat
    Thank you boys.

I agree. Okay no more crying. (see now I'm overthinking about how I cried last night)

STOP STOP STOP.

He's helping me move again tonight. I make a vow with you all single peeps that it will be fun and 'light'. No heavy emotional pms'y talks. Thankyouverymuch.

Don't make the vow w/ us. Make it w/ him lol
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    If you're crying because I can't take another episode of Lifetime, then, well, suck it up sweetheart :)

Are there really women who do that?

I understand the hormonal crying. As a woman, I know that sometimes it just happens, with no warning and for no reason.

But crying because you didn't get your way ... that sounds a little bit completely insane to me. Maybe I'm just cold-hearted though. When a guy pisses me off, I don't yell or cry (unless it's something really traumatic, like I caught him cheating on me). I just get really silent, maybe give him an evil look or three. And eventually I'll get over it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Be honest and true to who you are, what you do, and what you say.

A sandwich and some Gentleman Jack now and then too!
  • mrmanmeat
    If you're crying because I can't take another episode of Lifetime, then, well, suck it up sweetheart :)

Are there really women who do that?

I understand the hormonal crying. As a woman, I know that sometimes it just happens, with no warning and for no reason.

But crying because you didn't get your way ... that sounds a little bit completely insane to me. Maybe I'm just cold-hearted though. When a guy pisses me off, I don't yell or cry (unless it's something really traumatic, like I caught him cheating on me). I just get really silent, maybe give him an evil look or three. And eventually I'll get over it.

Well, I mean, like if it's that TOM and you cry for simple stuff like that.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Yeah crying for no apparent reason is just weird. I no I dont get hormonal like that so I dont know what its like. In that situation, I will generally console the girl but honestly Im rolling my eyes thinking... "wow, really??". I had a girlfriend like that, whom would do it quite often.... It got really old after a while.