Soreness after lifting

Options
rebekahgo
rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
I am a total newbie to lifting. I did NROLFW 1B on Thursday night, and I really challenged myself. I am STILL sore today. I've actually eaten at TDEE the last two days because my body demanded it. I also drink a ton of water, but I don't always log it. Is there anything I can do for this, or does it just take time to adjust to the new activity? I don't wanna do my next workout when I'm still significantly sore from the last one.

Replies

• rebekahgo
    Options
    And I did follow the workout with about 15 grams of protein. Do I need more post-workout?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I think you are adjusting probably.

I usually have a protein shake right after lifting. It has either 26 or 30 g of protein. I can't remember for sure. And of course lots of water.

I am little tender sometimes but not super sore.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    anything new and challenging is gonna take an adjustment period..
    Make sure to stretch well also and drink water and keep fueling yourself..

Should get less painful as your body gets used to your new routine.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I either have a one scoop, or if it fits in my calories a two scoop shake right after. I mix mine in soy milk, so they end up being 35 to 70 g of protein. :)
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I was the same way when I first started! I was SO sore I could hardly move.....walking down my stairs was a challenge! That level of pain goes away as you get into the next week of workouts. I found that advil helps some as does getting really good stretching in on your non lifting days. When you feel the most pain, get on the floor and stretch everything out! A hot bath with epsom salts will make you feel better too, and make sure that you are getting enough sleep.....I wouldn't say 8 hours, because some people don't need that much, but get as much as you need. As far as protein powder goes, I usually have 1 scoop right when I get home from my workout and it has 26 grams in it.

I think just keep doing what you're doing and by next week you should be feeling better. The more you do the workouts the better you'll feel.....you'll always be sore, but it won't be nearly as bad. :wink:
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've also heard/read to do a light cardio in between lifting days (I usually just make sure I get a nice walk in, either on the treadmill or outside) to increase blood flow and promote healing.
  • rebekahgo
    Options
    Thanks, ladies!

I have been doing some cardio as well, although not since the last workout. Just been busy. I will definitely stretch more and increase the post-lift protein. I wish I could increase my sleep, but unless someone wants to take a kid off my hands that ain't happening right now.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Stretch a little before or just go for a brisk walk so you don't work out cold - and take it easy...But unless you are acutely sore due to an injury or hurt a spesific muscle, don't stop the workouts untill you feel completely recovered...Work through it - just take it slow - you will recover faster doing that...
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    I was sore too for a few days after my first rounds of Stage 1, A & B. Felt it a lot in my hamstrings, quads, and abs! But I've followed the recommendations above--start with a good warm-up, stretch after, follow a weights workout with a good hit of protein (my recovery shakes are usually somewhere between 30-45 grams of protein), and lots of water. I've done the second workouts of both A & B and am hardly feeling any soreness--your body will adjust!