ran my first 5k, need some help

Options
melanielockard
melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
so i have finished week 9 of c25k last week and done my first 5k this weekend and finshed 3rd from last! but was happy i even accomplished it! My body was fine, i just could not breath, and was running to fast for me maybe, no rhythm. (that probably doesnt make any sense). I know i should be outside running, but any other quick tips?? thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice. I just wanted to congratulate you on doing your first 5k. I think that is a HUGE victory by itself. The speed will come later.
  • Starbec
    Starbec Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS - thats a great achievement :)

I don't really have any advice either, but from the sounds of your post you are running on a treadmill ????
    Running outside is probably the only thing that will give you that 5km OUTSIDE fitness.
    I actually amazed myself on the weekend and ran 7kms in 43 minutes, but I've found that I feel exactly the same way for the first 3km. I feel really uncoordinated, my breathing is all over the place and all I want to do is stop - but once I get past that 3km mark I seem to settle into a rythm and my breathing improves!

Keep running!
  • melanielockard
    Options
    thank you!!! yes running on a treadmill and just a couple times outside, i need to find a safe place outside and do it!!
  • katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Another Big Congratulations to you!
    Just completing a 5K to me is awesome. I am on Week 8 and I jog outside in our back yard- all soft grass and no hills. I have been jogging each day of the week and am able to run a total of 35 min straight at times, so this weekend I tried to do my own 5K up to our neighbor's home (3 miles up the road) Oh, boy was it UP THE ROAD!!! And my, did I get disappointed! I could hardly get 14 min in jogging and had to walk briskly the rest of the way! Just not ready for any type of incline yet! I guess I better start practicing on the road from now on :)
  • slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am on W5D1 which I tried to do Sunday and failed at the last 5 min jog portion. Today, I did it and I finished going uphill! It is really different inside vs outside. I had only ever run a mile in my life before starting C25K (and it was on a treadmill) so when I started C25K I started outside to get used to the hills, wind, etc. It most definitely gets easier. I have signed up to run The Color Run at the end of next month and am super excited to be able to say I did a 5K. I'm hoping to run the whole thing but we'll see. Congratulations on your accomplishment! As they say, it doesn't matter how fast you go..you're still lapping everyone on the couch! Speed will come!
  • melanielockard
    Options
    thanks a bunch!!! i think a group of us are going to do the color run also!
  • slm0257
    Options
    Ooh! I'm doing the color run on June 23 and I'm soooo excited! I don't know if I'll be able to run the whole thing yet but I'm working on it! It'll be fun either way!
  • slm0257
    Options
    Ooh! I'm doing the color run on June 23 and I'm soooo excited! I don't know if I'll be able to run the whole thing yet but I'm working on it! It'll be fun either way!

Ha ha. Just realized I mentioned this in my above post already....can you tell I'm excited? Lol. :happy: