What to do instead of rice

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I'm making chicken curry and do not want to eat it over rice obviously. I don't mind just eating it out of a bowl like a stew but I was trying to think of something to go with it.... not really to pour the curry over like rice, but like a side dish or something. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice. Grate cauliflower. Can steam in microwave.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I found a cauliflower "fried rice" recipe in th Everyday Paleo cookbook, it was pretty good!
    1/2 minced red onion
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
    1 med head of cauliflower, steamed
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp coconut flour
    1 tsp sea salt
    Black pepper to taste
    3-4 Tbsp coconut oil

In a large mixing bowl add onion, garlic, and basil. Add in steamed cauliflower, add in egg, coconut flour, salt and pepper. With a potato masher, mash ingredients till cauliflower is the consistency of rice. Mix all ingredients well.
    Heat coconut oil in a large skillet on med-high heat add cauliflower mixture, cook about 7-10 minutes till onion is tender.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I third the cauliflower suggestion....I used my mini food processor

I usually dont' steam mine if I am putting something over it because the heat will cook it in a matter of minutes - I have found it can get too mushy if I steam it first..

I also use riced caulitflower instead of cous cous to make a faux tabouli -
  • suziesoule
    suziesoule Posts: 13
    Options
    Quinoa. It is is really good with curry! Instructions are to cook it in rice cooker. Not as sweet as rice but good substitute. They sell it a most stores now near the rice. Plus it is full of proteins and amino acids. It is considered a superfood.
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Options
    I have read about people using spaghetti squash instead of pasta or rice. Typically when I've eaten it in the past, it's just been w/ butter, by itself.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try the cauliflower. I have a small processor I can toss it in.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. It is is really good with curry! Instructions are to cook it in rice cooker. Not as sweet as rice but good substitute. They sell it a most stores now near the rice. Plus it is full of proteins and amino acids. It is considered a superfood.

I don't think quinoa is paleo. Its still a grain. I'm also with the cauliflower suggestion :smile:
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I don't think quinoa is paleo. Its still a grain. I'm also with the cauliflower suggestion :smile:
    quinoa is NOT a grain. It is actually related to spinach and some otherveggies. It looks like a grain, and very good substitutefor grain , but it is not a grain. Mark's daily apple have a blog post about it, and it fits primal lifestyle.
    It is still a highercarb option, so are not advised to it unlimited amount.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

quinoa is NOT a grain. It is actually related to spinach and some otherveggies. It looks like a grain, and very good substitutefor grain , but it is not a grain. Mark's daily apple have a blog post about it, and it fits primal lifestyle.
    It is still a highercarb option, so are not advised to it unlimited amount.
    While quinoa is not a grain (it's actually a seed), the nutritional profile is not a whole lot different than the nutritional profile of rice. If you're not doing rice - you shouldn't do quinoa.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I second the cauliflower rice and spaghettie squash. Delish.

I don't have a food processor so doing the cauliflower by hand makes a huge mess of the kitchen, good though.