Lowered my meds = plateau

Options
Bree1294
Bree1294 Posts: 32 Member
Hello MFP peeps....
I have reached a plateau and have managed to remain faithful to eating right as well as continue to exercise. It wasn't until just a minute ago after reviewing my reports that I realized my weight loss plateau happened within a week and half of my doctor reducing my thyroid medication. So now what?

I have Graves, which means hyperthyroidism. Many of you would think I'd be a bean pole - ah, if only. I still have an additional 32 lbs to go to reach my goal weight, but really need to get past this plateau.

My daily calorie goal has been at 1200 since starting with MFP, and it seemed to work great. I just don't know what my next step should be. I've done research on my BMR and TDEE and to be honest, I am a bit scared to increase my calorie intake for fear of gaining back what I've lost.

Any advice? I'm opening to trying anything at this point! :grumble:

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Well, my meds have been stable for several years, but I can tell you that if I net 1200 cals, I plateau like crazy. I have to eat 1300 if I want to lose. Everyone is different, but I'd recommend either:
    1. Increasing total cals for a week
    2. Trying the high/low method where one day you eat 1400 calories and the next 1000. Some people find that helps.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'd be a bean pole because I am in the same boat. I'm hyper, lost no weight (or gained) and have been on meds now for 21 days. I'm slowly becoming hypo. Don't be scared of upping your calories. I'm on 1600 a day and feel a load better, helps with my tiredness, and am still losing weight. I literally eat at my BMR, which is still less than the amount I was on before. Try it for at least a month and hopefully it will work for you like it has for me :flowerforyou:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Agree -- increase a little -- make the extra 100 or 150 calories in protein.
  • Bree1294
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I was thinking of upping the calories and will definitely make them protein since I lift weights every other day. Want to keep my lean mass going and keep burning the fat.... After calculating my BMR and TDEE, I bumped to 1550 calories a day instead of the 1200. Will give it a couple of weeks and see what happens!
  • Bree1294
    Options
    LottieLou13 - LOVE the leopard skin! :heart:
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    I plateaued about 2 months ago, I cut sugar completely (except for dairy and a very small amount of raw food) and it worked like a charm! May not work for everyone, but worth trying I guess :-)

Sick/missing thyroids don't like simple carbs, that's for sure :sad: