Think I need to start over...

Options
sugarnspicere
sugarnspicere Posts: 45 Member
I feel like I need to go back to weeks 1 and 2 for a little. Last Sunday I tripped and fel slamming my knee into the floor. I brused it and have had more pain then usual in it all week. After workouts 3 and 4 My knee felt like it was on fire. I didnt even bother with the cardio this week. I replaced it with long walks.

Besides that issue there is a lot in 3 and 4 that I find I just cant do at all. I figure because I am so heavy and by body isnt exactly strong enough. I'm well over 100lbs over weight. The plank ups just make me fall on my face. I can't seem to hold myself up and lower one arm to the floor. The one similar to the plank ups where you lower to the floor while your arms are int he air I have a similar problem. I can get down onto my knees but simply cannot get back up without bracing myself which defeats the purpose of the exercise in the first place.

Do you think it would hurt to back down to 1 and 2 for another week or 2?

Replies

• azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It depends. If the issue is more your knee, going back to 1 and 2 might be good because the exercises are lower impact. If the issue is you are having trouble with workout 3 and 4 but 1 and 2 are fine, you might just need to do 3 and 4 for an extra week until you have mastered them: you need to force your body to change by doing the harder exercises once you can do the previous level. That being said, if it hurts: stop. Change the exercise so you can do it, but keep moving. Maybe instead of plyometrics, try holding a weight. Don't give up!
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is probably the answer you don't want to hear but if you have injured your knee, find some workouts that won't worsen the injury. Any higher impact workout will just make it worse. You may consider swimming, walking or elliptical until your injury heals.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. Perhaps you may decide to take a week off and start over. Let yourself heal then start weeks 1 and 2 again. In addition, regardless of the workout, just modify to what you CAN do. For example, once you're in workout 3 again, instead of doing the plank-ups, just hold a plank. If you can't do the full plank, hold a plank on your knees. If you can hold the full plank, try one plank up/down and then hold the full plank for 5 seconds, then do another plank up /down. With the step up/downs, do not use weights and allow yourself to brace yourself (helping yourself up); or just do them much more slowly. The key is to go at your own pace.

I have a lot to lose, too. On some of the exercises, I couldn't do them perfectly, use the same weights, or at the same speed as in the video. I always modify to what I can do, but always challenge myself. When I did weeks 3/4, I never was able to do the step up/step down with weights. When I finished week 4, I was able to do them at the speed in the videos, but just with no weights.

You can do this! It's your program....do what YOU can do and see yourself improve.
  • pmcjt
    pmcjt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just saw a Dr. yesterday for a different issue but mentioned I've had knee pain and that I was doing this program. I have a history of knee issues and have arthritis in both knees. She said it is really important to modify anything that puts impact on the knee. Those exercises where you hold weight over your head and step back onto your knees than back up are a real no-no for me. I did them anyway and ended up needing to take 4 days off, go on anti-inflammatory meds, ice every night. End result is that I need to modify which I should have just done in the beginning. As other posters said, when your knee feels better, just keep moving. If you need to take it slower or use less weight, you will still rock this!

Use ice on that knee. Take Advil or Aleve for the next couple days to reduce the inflammation. Just walk for a couple days to keep your muscles warmed up. You'll be fine. Then I'd go back to maybe workout 1, 2, cardio, then step back up to 3, 4 cardio that week. Good luck!