competitors in training questions

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    actually, hormones are what affect your MS.

If you have bleeding often it's because you have too much testosterone triggering it. Heavy weightlifting puts your body into that mode, unless you have break through bleeding, which is entirely different.

break though bleeding happens when your blood pressure in your uterus gets really high and causes the artery / vein there to pump blood into the delicate uterine lining. Caffeine, "supplements" for cutting or to enhance your workout, blood thinners, excess vit. E and muscle steroids also cause break through bleeding. Usually your lining can take the pressure of heavy weight lifting, but factors like previous pregnancies, abortions, contraceptives, tears, the above mentioned blood thinners or hormones, and mineral anemias can create a weak lining, and break through bleeding can occur.

If you think that it is breakthrough bleeding due to thin blood or blood pressure problems, simply dosing yourself about 600 - 900 mg of ibuprofen before working out will eliminate the problem if it's that. If not, then get some bloodwork done asap, as your hormones are out of whack, or you may have a serious female issue.

Thanks!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    For those who have competed, how long would you say would be a decent amount of time to prep for a competition?? I'd like to consider one this summer.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I just saw this question... Last year I trained hardcore for 4 months. In my personal opinion, that was not long enough for someone just starting out. This year I gave myself 6 months. I hope that helps!
    Options
    Any advice for selecting a suit? I am doing figure. My trainer gave a me a few sites, including one to rent and one for second hand stuff. It seems I can buy a suit for pretty much the same cost as renting some or buying a used one.

I've only done bikini, personally, and ha donly recently heard of renting suits. I did see a site on Facebook yesterday about buying gently used suits. It was on bikini and figure bodybuilding, or something like that - they had a link to buy them, if that helps. I prefer custom made, only because I know it will fit like a glove. But, I also know figure suits go for more than bikini, too. Good luck!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Any advice for selecting a suit? I am doing figure. My trainer gave a me a few sites, including one to rent and one for second hand stuff. It seems I can buy a suit for pretty much the same cost as renting some or buying a used one.

I've only done bikini, personally, and ha donly recently heard of renting suits. I did see a site on Facebook yesterday about buying gently used suits. It was on bikini and figure bodybuilding, or something like that - they had a link to buy them, if that helps. I prefer custom made, only because I know it will fit like a glove. But, I also know figure suits go for more than bikini, too. Good luck!!

Thanks. I have my suit now. One of the girls at the gym started making them. She made 3 others for girls competing with me. It is awesome, custom and was far cheaper than even renting. Her prices will go up. Ext year since she is using this comp to get her name out but she did amazing.
    Options

Thanks. I have my suit now. One of the girls at the gym started making them. She made 3 others for girls competing with me. It is awesome, custom and was far cheaper than even renting. Her prices will go up. Ext year since she is using this comp to get her name out but she did amazing.

That is AWESOME! I am currently looking around for my next suit, because I like to be different than everyone else, well, as different as I possibly can, that is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I swear that females pay more into competitions then men do whether is bikini, fitness or bodybuilding. The irony is that they usually make a lot less too. The cost of female competition wear is outrageous compared to men's wear. I empathize with having to pay that much for a suit that's only worn in competition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    For those who have competed, how long would you say would be a decent amount of time to prep for a competition?? I'd like to consider one this summer.

Thanks!

Jen...

I've trained and choreographed for fitness competitors, but I demand at least 12 weeks for choreography, as I can't stand having them have a routine 4 weeks out. Most women I've worked with, even if they are the fittest and most athletic, are dull as a doorknob when it comes to remembering awesome choreography, and I personally hate anyone on a stage who is not competition ready for a fitness program.

If you can dance, give yourself a min. of 8 weeks, but 16 weeks out for choreography is the best for Fitness competitiors. Most gals have a routine that they show, and then are working on one or two extras for the next year, or in preparation of Nationals.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    How much of a calorie surplus did you have when bulking, and for how long?

srgtsun...,

it's more a matter of upping your complete protein intake than calories, believe it or not. Just make sure you are not starving your muscles! Your body will replace or build muscle when you go heavy weights pretty easily when you train and eat right. The key is eating right and resting!
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    so I got my laser gun in the mail today! :)

has anyone else tried this yet?
    427752_374137445940266_100000320426113_1209738_2146403573_n.jpg

2 months and it absolutely works!!! triabeauty laser for hair removal, cheap, and awesome. Why pay twice as much for the same pain, uh, I mean treatment? ;)
  • mandyspark
    mandyspark Posts: 20
    Options
    Not to sound like a nerd ut I have researched a lot of comps in my area and the majority of winners wore a blue or green suit- I will be buying a blue suit :) LOL Just thought that was some fun info for you
    Options
    Not to sound like a nerd ut I have researched a lot of comps in my area and the majority of winners wore a blue or green suit- I will be buying a blue suit :) LOL Just thought that was some fun info for you

interesting.... I've seen all colors win, but whatever works for you as an individual. :wink:
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Multiple people have told me that green and turquoise are the big colors this season for suits. I don't know... I've seen a lot of those colors on stage, but I can't say one has won out over the others. One of the girls on my team has won now in her first two competitions, taking overall masters as well in the first one. She wore a pink suit at the first competition and a turquoise suit at the second. Mine is a coral/pink color.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I'd really love a red suit!
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    so I got my laser gun in the mail today! :)

has anyone else tried this yet?
    427752_374137445940266_100000320426113_1209738_2146403573_n.jpg

I've been very happy for the past 4 months using my laser gun. Not only does it eliminate dark hair, prevent regrowth, or knock it down to fuzz, it also eliminates dark spots and freckles!

The zap can be controlled with 5 different settings. Start at the lowest, most tolerable setting, then increase it after a minute at each setting to zap the hair follicle or the freckle.

I'm finally getting to the armpits, which is challenging terrain. This is worth the $440 investment! Also discovered from a laser tech. that the red laser of the gun is good skin therapy for improving collagen. Trying it out on a scar. So far so good.