For Post-Surgery People: How Many Months/Years are you Out?

Options
Kristy713ckm
Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
Hi: I'm new to this board. I had RNY Gastric Bypass in December 2002. I was 351 pounds then, got down to 229 in about 1 year or so.... then have slowly gained back 60 pounds (and had a pregnancy during that time). Therefore, I'm almost 9 1/2 years out. I never got as low as I'd like, but it's frustrating to GAIN back 60 pounds. The surgery "tool" doesn't help much now, I wish I had worked harder at it the first few years out. But MFP has been WONDERFUL. Just wondering if there are any people further out past their surgery and trying to lose more than the last few pounds or - like me - trying to lose pounds REGAINED! Thanks....

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my mom's over 10 years out and she has lost and gained and lost and gained after hitting her goal weight she has maybe fluctuated as much as 50 pounds but she tells me that when she realizes she's too heavy she goes back on the high protein low carb protein shakes for some of her meals and makes sure to walk 4-5 times a week until it comes right back off.
  • sdm329
    sdm329 Posts: 57
    Options
    I had my RYN in 2004 at 284 and lost 142 about a year later. I was great until 2008 when I got pregnant and gained 80 pounds. My daughter is almost 3 and I have just now lost 12 pounds of her weight gain. MFP has been a great help.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I am two months out as of next Tuesday. I've lost 50 pounds since the surgery and 47 prior.

I had the sleeve.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 18 years out from my gastric bypass. Couldn't be happier. Saved my life. I had mine in 1994 in September 22nd. The following year I went back on Sept 20th and had all the excess skin removed. I've lost over 200 lbs. went from 330 to 112. Then gradually back to where the surgeon wanted me to be at 160. Maintained that for about 15 or 16 years and put on 35 lbs when I broke my arm last year. I'm working hard to get that off now.
  • MsOhSooo
    MsOhSooo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a newbie. I'm only 4 weeks out with the RNY.
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Great to see such response! I was on a board back in 2002 when I scheduled my surgery. I had hopes of going from 351 to 120 or 135 pounds. I lost 120 pounds and got down to 229. I never took an after picture because it didn't seem small enough to feel proud. But after nearly getting back to 300 pounds, I'm happy to be down to 270, and looking forward to MFP helping me toward that 229 again - and beyond !!!!

More than what I look like, it would be nice to ease some (or ALL) of my joint pain!

THANKS for the great posts! I'll keep pressing on!
  • AngelaLyn67
    Options
    I am 4 months out, I have lost 45lbs. I get frustrated as I am at a halt right now.. I started @ 223 and I am doen to 178.. Problem is I seem to get on the scale everyday.. :frown:
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Two years out from LapBand. I lost 50 pounds right away and then stopped. I'm going to do it this time!
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I found that when the weight loss stopped, the inches were coming off. this is why it is so very important to those undergoing the surgery or those who have recently had the surgery to measure and take pictures. It is never too late to start so start now and measure all over. Neck down. You will probably surprise yourself.

I found that it went like this for me. first, I would loose weight, then my body fat got all soft and flabby. Then I lost inches. Then I would lose weight again, and the more weight the softer and gushier my fat on my body would feel and then the more inches I would pull in. Sort of like wash rinse repeat.

Hope this helps. The other thing that helps is to remember not to drink liquids with any of your meals. No liquids 30 minutes before or after meals made my stomach pouch stay fuller longer.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I will be 9 months out from RNY on 4/28. I am down 102 lbs from my highest at 244. My surgery weight was 232, so down 90 since then. I am now 142 and a size 6 jeans. I still have about 7-12 lbs to go and they seem to be the hardest to lose. But I'm not so concerned with the scale as I am with the muscle toning and effective work outs.
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I found that when the weight loss stopped, the inches were coming off. this is why it is so very important to those undergoing the surgery or those who have recently had the surgery to measure and take pictures. It is never too late to start so start now and measure all over. Neck down. You will probably surprise yourself.

I found that it went like this for me. first, I would loose weight, then my body fat got all soft and flabby. Then I lost inches. Then I would lose weight again, and the more weight the softer and gushier my fat on my body would feel and then the more inches I would pull in. Sort of like wash rinse repeat.

Hope this helps. The other thing that helps is to remember not to drink liquids with any of your meals. No liquids 30 minutes before or after meals made my stomach pouch stay fuller longer.

This is so true! Granted I am only 3 1/2 weeks out but one of the first things I noticed is that my body fat really seems like it is getting soft and very mushy..lol..I will take your advice and start measuring..I have only been taking face shots right now, but I need to start taking some full pics. Thanks for the advice!!
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I always advise those who are going to have bypass surgery of any kind to be certain to take lots of pictures. I have only one because I didn't want to get in front of a camera. Sound familiar? Well let me tell you, I regret that. I wish I had more of me when I was a big girl. That and be sure to measure. And,,,,, take pictures and measure all the way down. Not only does it help you stay on track but it is so boosting to the ego. So get those measuring tapes and cameras out and get busy. You will not regret it one bit. Happy if I helped anyone at all today.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had RNY September 2008, so I am 3 years 7 months out. I went from 340 to 140 and have kept it off. I've had no issues since my surgery. Life is good!!
  • hhamilton1203
    hhamilton1203 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 5 months ago and i am down 104lbs. I cant wait to hit my goal weight. my dr told me that i will go up 10 ish and down 10 is as long as i stay active and eat healthy...
  • Abasmusikbx
    Options
    It will be 4 months on the 27th and I have lost 62 lbs, I wish I would have measured because the scale seems to be slowing down but I am working really hard at the gym and eating very healthy and by the book for RNY so hopefully I will start dropping again soon....
  • LOLTrish
    LOLTrish Posts: 37
    Options
    I am 10 years post op. Had my surgery in March 2002 and have NEVER regretted a day! It saved my life and changed my life. I've been a much happier person and was able to keep up with my boys when they were little. Now I am on MFP to lose another 80 pds that I didn't intially lose. My boys are teenagers now and I am doing this for me. I want to be healthier, fit and strong.

I am amazed, even 10 years later, the things I can do. You NEVER forget how it felt to be so restricted by your body. I always said it was like being trapped, my mind wanted to do things but my body couldn't. Now I'm able to and it is AWESOME!!
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    2 months out here, 45 lbs lost, and lots of inches. Measure and take pics, they can do a revision ya knkow, if that is something you are interested in...Life happens but as long as you get back on track, all is well. Congrats on the baby too. I feel good, I look good, but my goal is 140 or lower if I feel like I could go lower.

You are in the right place for sure, we are a great group and happy to have you.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi!n I'm two months out from my RNY surgery and have lost 32 lbs surgery and 30 before, so I am now at 62 lbs off! I'm down to a size 16 in jeans and feel great.
  • mamaholt80
    mamaholt80 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am 3 months out, I have lost 40 lbs,I had the Lap Band.

5285557.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 31 years ago--a few days shy of my 26th birthday. Within a year, I went from a high of 232 to 140. But, I still yo-yo-ed after that (roughly 140 to 170 and back again). This lasted until my second pregnancy in 1995. After that, my weight kept inching up every year until I reached an all-time high of 240+ pounds in 2004 when I was caring for my very ill mother and stressed to the max.

On rare occasions, my RNY surprises me--especially when I eat certain foods like pasta or concentrated sugars. But, normally, I forget it's even there. Any weight I lose now is lost the old-fashioned way--straight calorie restriction with the normal twinges of hunger and deprivation. I miss the days of early satiety.