Motivation, Motivation, Where's my Motivation?

Options
I used to have it - used it to lose 20 lbs. Haven't seen it in months. Has anyone found it, by chance? :P

Replies

• Dvija
    Dvija Posts: 11
    Options
    I know that for me, sometimes it's not about my motivation. The feeling of motivation can come and go. For me, it's about discipline and desire. There have been many times when I felt entirely unmotivated but STILL rolled out of bed at 0530, went to the gym and worked out. It wasn't because I was motivated. It was because I had promised myself I would treat myself with greater respect and part of that was creating a better and healthier body to inhabit :). Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I found some of your motivation hiding under my worst enemies, Apathy, Rationalization and Justification ;-)
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I think it called mine up and they went on vacation! Lol

I'm the master of procrastination and have a bad habit of making excuses. This is something I need to work on :)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I found some after a beach trip with one of my girlfriends - I walked on the beach in my bikini and shorts and she took pics of me. I was so self conscious of myself but I felt GREAT....til I saw the pics!!!!!!!! I don't mean to be so hard on myself, but I thought "I AM SO ASHAMED THAT I ALLOWED MYSELF TO WALK OUT IN PUBLIC LIKE THAT!!!!" All of my friends say that I'm being extremely hard on myself, but for me that was MY motivation. I love ME...and my body (despite it's flaws) but those flaws ARE my motivation sometimes.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Its probably still laying in bed like mine. she loves to sleep through the alarm..especially after chasing the kiddies all day!
  • lbela22
    lbela22 Posts: 3
    Options
    I was sick over the weekend so I had absolutely no motivation. I even ate what I wasn't supposed to but I had a stomach bug and it all balanced out anyway. I was back on track Tuesday morning though. I don't look at it as motivation, more as its a life change that I decided to make so every day I have to choose to eat the right things and get some sort of exercise. I have to say though, my house has never been cleaner. I didn't realize how many calories are burned by doing simple house work. I have an office job but I am constantly getting up and walking around my office and when no one is around I do squats at the fax machine lol. It is just the little things that add up. Good luck all.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Its probably still laying in bed like mine. she loves to sleep through the alarm..especially after chasing the kiddies all day!

hahaha That's probably it!!

I put my yoga pants and sports bra on this morning - that's half the battle, right? ;)

I actually just picked up one of my oldest son's friends for a playdate, so I'm going to try to get a workout in while the kids are occupying each other (I have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and nearly 2 yr old, all boys :P). If I can just bust through the first couple of weeks and get SOME sort of exercise in every day, or nearly every day, I think I'll be back on track. getting started is just the hardest part ("Getting the monkey off my back" as my husband says :P)
  • rec212329
    rec212329 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • rec212329
    rec212329 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know that for me, sometimes it's not about my motivation. The feeling of motivation can come and go. For me, it's about discipline and desire. There have been many times when I felt entirely unmotivated but STILL rolled out of bed at 0530, went to the gym and worked out. It wasn't because I was motivated. It was because I had promised myself I would treat myself with greater respect and part of that was creating a better and healthier body to inhabit :). Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I found some of your motivation hiding under my worst enemies, Apathy, Rationalization and Justification ;-)

I love this post...this is almost exactly how I feel about my need/desire to lose weight. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • lindystrutt
    lindystrutt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ditto..........
  • lizzielou67
    lizzielou67 Posts: 35
    Options

This ^^

It's mostly 'desire' for me. I want to be healthy and I want to enjoy life.

Unfortunatly, I still have my days when I get home from work and say, "I don't feel like going to the gym." My Hubby (also on a 'get healty' journey with me) usually says, "We have to go." or something similar. But, he occassionally will agree and we just stay home. BAD!

My motivation also dissapears when I weight myself or measure myself and don't see things changing. I feel like I'm working so hard for nothing. He tries to talk me out of that funk as well.

Maybe all our motivations have gotten together at a bar and are enjoying themselves!! :-)
  • GeminiFairy89
    GeminiFairy89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My true motivation came to me when I went to my first Zumba class at my local gym. Even before then, I loved to dance. Zumba has been an amazing experience for me and still is! IT makes working out really enjoyable. And that gave me the desire to lose weight the fun way! Even though my work schedule often changes, I cant go to all the Zumba classes anymore, but I try to make the ones I can. I believe in myself, and I can do it! Using MFP is also helping me track what and how much I need which is very helpful.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I knew my motivation was just hybernating for a couple of months - thank goodness!

I loved the comment about the promises we made to ourselves. That is what keeps me going also! Setting long term goals is so important - and it's so fun when you reach them.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    yes I found it on my hips butt and gut! lol
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Found some today and went for a jog during my lunch break. Felt great and my endorphins are still pumping!!

Nike got it right when they said . . . 'JUST DO IT!'