Newly diagnosed

Options
6swolcott
6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
A week ago I felt like the Dr handed me a death sentence. They assure me that the medicines and treatment for Diabetes have come along way. I watched both my parents pass away from diabetes related illnesses. My dr put me on Metformin, two pills a day told me I could take them one in am and one at night to help with side effects. She also told me to limit carbs to 45 per meal and 15-30 per snack and to eat every three hours. Then she said walk. That is all she told me. Ive been following the eating advice for a week but I get very exhausted every afternoon, I cannot keep my eyes open. I have severe asthma and Ive been on cholestrol medicine since i was a teen. My prednisone dosages that I have to take to breath raise my glucose, so I sometimes feel like its a no win situation. My a1c jumped from 6.1 to 8 in three months, they feel its related to steroid. Any advice anyone has for anything else to do or books to read I would appreciate. I feel lost, like im wandering in a forest and get see my way out.

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    welcome.....relax, it will get better. treatments have come a long way. your eating is what i learned in the many classes i have been to. it's the basic starting point. from there you adjust to where you are lowering your numbers. some diabetics can't handle that many carbs. i like the AD(iabetic)A site. also dlife.com is pretty good. i have allergy induced asthma. as for being tired that could be higher numbers. have you been testing throughout the day to see when and what causes highs and lows? that is important. at first i had to test upon rising, just before meal, 2 hrs after meal and at bedtime. this lets you know if you ate something to may raise your sugars. exercise can also raise or lower. me, it raise. most it lowers. if i eat allot of pasta, bread things at dinner i will be high in the morning. as for books and diet plans, it's all personal preference. some like one thing cause it works for them, some like others. i need easy. so just counting the carbs works great for me.
    it's all about learning and adjusting. your body is adjusting everyday, and we have to adjust with it.
    sorry for the loss of your parents.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

First of all, you were NOT handed a death sentence. In fact, you can use this diagnosis as the motivation to become healthier than ever. Like you, I have watched many family members suffer from the effects of this disease, but that was because they let the disease control them, rather than control the disease. It does NOT have to happen.

I'm a researcher by nature, so when I was diagnosed I ready many books on diabetes and its management. It never hurts to educate yourself. I've found forums where people who are actually living with the disease to be more helpful than books written by doctors who may treat the disease, but don't have to live with it on a daily basis.

The key is finding what works for you. Not what works for me. Not what works for the people writing books on the subject. But you. We can all learn from each other, but this is a very personalized disease - every diabetic is different. That said, there are some things every newly-diagnosed diabetic can do.

1) Take your medication as prescribed. Just because you have to take medication now doesn't mean you'll have to take it forever. You might be, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you very well could get it controlled to the level that medication is no longer necessary. But it is important, upon diagnosis, to work with your doctor to determine the correct medication/dosages and take it faithfully as directed.

2) Monitor your carb intake. Carbs are our greatest enemy. Not only do we need to limit our carb intake, we need to be careful of the type of carbs we eat. All carbs are not equal. You'll have to make up your mind on what glucose levels you want to achieve and maintain, and figure out how many carbs your body can tolerate and stay within that range. Don't just take the doctor's word on it. Your body might need less, or your body might be able to handle more. Which brings me to my next point.

3) Test, test, test. Did I mention you need to test? Testing is crucial, especially at the beginning. It is the only way we have to determine how a certain food affects our glucose. Once again, decide what is acceptable to you. I won't eat anything that puts me over 140 at the one hour mark or over 120 at the two hour mark. Those are my standards. Figure out yours. I burned through thousands of strips and hundreds of dollars at first, because I tested myself three times (before, one hour after, and two hours after) for every new food I ate. But know I know exactly what I can and can't eat, and don't have to test myself nearly as much.

4) Exercise. Every little bit makes a difference. I've found that my morning readings are 10-20 points lower when I have exercised the day before. That's huge. Start by doing what you can and slowly build on it. You'll be amazed at the progress you can make.

5) Stay positive. I think we all go through a wide range of emotions when diagnosed. With my family history, I wasn't shocked at diagnosis, but I bounced back-and-forth between being angry at myself and being depressed for a week or two before I settled on being determined. Determined that it wasn't going to beat me. I was going to beat it. Anger and depression are normal, but they are not helpful. Determination, motivation, and positivity is.

The good news is that you caught it early and your A1C isn't at a crazy, out of control number (mine was a whopping 14.2 at diagnosis). The time to attack this is now. It will only get more difficult if you wait. It is much easier to prevent damage than it is to repair damage. You'll probably start to feel better soon, too, so hang in there. Your exhaustion probably has a lot to do with your body getting used to the Metformin and your glucose levels trying to stabilize. I was in a fog the first couple of weeks - really miserable - but one day it just lifted and it hasn't come back.

You can do it. It takes a lot of upfront work, work that is hard and work that sucks at times, but before long it becomes second nature and gets much easier.

Best of luck to you.
  • 6swolcott
    Options
    thank you both, I am determined to win this war, I appreciate all the advice and how you both broke it down, my Doctor only told me to test two hours after eating twice a day, I didnt realize i could test to see the number and how what i eat affects that number, good to know, I am also a research hound so I will figure this out and begin testing testing testing, thanks for the great advice and for helping me to understand this a little bit better
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and our group. Not much more I can add to Travis and Chipper other than "ditto". I do feel this has become a blessing to me and my family as Travis mentioned. I think we pretty much all know that sooner or later our eating and lack of exercise would catch up with us. Sooner is better in this case AS YOU CAN GET IT UNDER CONTROL!!!

Best of luck.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

I am a type 2 with asthma. Luckily my asthma flare ups are rare, usually only when the pollen flies in the early spring and late fall. Prednisone will raise your BG, not much that can be done there while taking it.

You can take control of this, get it under control. Just take a deep breath, relax and make a nice easy plan to work your way into where you wish to be.

Not trying to sound cliche` but every journey begins with the first step. You've started that with walking and by joining MFP. There is a good support network to be had.

Good luck and love the motorcycles in your avatar.
  • 6swolcott
    Options
    thanks again I feel so much better just reading everyone's answers, On the bikes I ride the fatboy and my hubby rides the blue ultra classic.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    thank you both, I am determined to win this war, I appreciate all the advice and how you both broke it down, my Doctor only told me to test two hours after eating twice a day, I didnt realize i could test to see the number and how what i eat affects that number, good to know, I am also a research hound so I will figure this out and begin testing testing testing, thanks for the great advice and for helping me to understand this a little bit better

One of the best websites i found when newly diagnosed is Blood Sugar 101. Jenny is a Type 1.5 (LADA) diabetic and presents things in an easy to understand manner and had really done her research. Following the suggestions I found there, I've lowered my fasting BG to below 100 in 5 months and my post-prandial numbers are never above 120. I started with an A1C of 7.3 and won't be re-tested until August, but I'm thrilled with the control I've gained so far.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your post could have been written by me just a couple of months ago. I actually thought about changing Drs. because it didn't seem like she had much information to provide me so I really appreciate your posting this. The answers you are receiving are benefiting several of us.

Thank you.
  • Peter3465
    Peter3465 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a recent member to the diabetes family as well . I was about where you were not knowing what to do. At first I was lost , but it is like they say in the beginning I could barley move I was so weak , but after a couple weeks of just testing , testing ,and more testing . I cut out all carbs went to a heavy whey protein drink started walking . And now I have lost 50 lbs in a month and a half , they reduced my medicine intake , and I am getting my energy back. Every so often it reminds me I am still learning but I refuse to lose. I know if I can do it anybody can with support and hard work . So stay strong
  • ronnymontoya255
    ronnymontoya255 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Been T2 since about 2006. The struggle is real folks, and no one can offer more meaningful support than a fellow diabetic.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said. It's a kick in the butt not a death sentence. The Blood Sugar 101 is a great resource. The next steps are up to you. You aren't in it alone, ask questions and many will help.

Another great group is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

It's not aimed just at diabetics but at all who are controlling carbs.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Let me just get a plug in for swimming as exercise. When I was diagnosed (January) my doc said start with 30 mins of daily exercise, whatever type you want, and increase by 5 minutes every 2 weeks. Then he went on to encourage walking. I think they do that because its sort of the path of least resistance. Doesn;t require gym membership, workout paraphanelia, scheduling, etc. I was miserable after my first two days of walking. It was freezing outside, yet I was still sweat-soaked. I was exhausted, sore, and out of breath.

I decided to try swimming. Most exercise is harder on your joints being large. Swimming is easier because I float. Swimming keeps me cool, and I don't sweat, or at least I don't feel sweaty. Indoor swims mean I am not affected by the weather. It burns more calories, which means it burns more glycogen, and has more benefit on your glucose levels. I can go at my own pace. I just generally feel refreshed instead of worn out after a good swim.

I'm a little unsure of the asthmatic aspect. Initially I'd suggest using backstroke where your face stays out of the water so you can breathe as needed. But will the chlorine fumes negatively affect the asthma? Eventually I would think the 'breath control' aspect of swimming might actually improve lung function and help with the asthma. But it might be an obstacle to start.
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My best advice is for you to read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433160234&sr=1-1&keywords=dr+bernstein's+diabetes+solution+a+complete+guide+to+achieving+normal+blood+sugars) immediately.

I can't recommend that book enough for all diabetics. It will explain everything you need to know about diabetes and how to get normal blood sugars. I wish I'd found it as soon as I was diagnosed. I wasted a few months floundering around not knowing what to do, because my doctor also didn't give me any real guidance. I read too many books that gave the 45g carb per meal recommendation, which is complete nonsense. Of course, 45g per meal was a lot less than what I had been eating, and it gave some mild improvement. But it was still too much to improve my blood sugars to the point where it makes a real difference in your long-term health.

These days I barely eat 45g of carb A DAY (and I admit I need to exercise more). My most recent A1c was 5.9, down from 10.6 when I was diagnosed a year ago. I want to get it down even lower. 5 is my ultimate goal. That will mean cutting carbs even more, and really getting back on track with exercise.

Good luck and stay positive. You can do it! And get that book!
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone here. The keys for me was getting back to basic & a low carb diet. As for exercise I've tried many things but gardening, swimming, hiking & just plan walking have worked the best for me.