Push-ups on Smith machine?

Options
Hi all! I am in week 3 of phase 1. Just did my 5b workout today-Hello! Wow 3 sets is much more intense! My question is about push ups though. I cannot do a full push-up. In order to keep my form correct and go ALL the way down to my chest, I really need to do 60 degree, or counter height. The problem is I cannot find anywhere at my gym that will allow me to do this. I've been doing them on the benches, but that is more like 45 degrees, and I still cannot get all the way down to my chest. I saw someone post about doing their push ups using the Smith machine. Can you enlighten me as to how this is done? Are you just doing your pushups on the bar? I don't get it. Thanks!

Replies

• kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this as well.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Set the bar to whatever height matches the angle you need and then just do them against the bar. As the weeks pass try to gradually lower the bar closer and closer to the floor until eventually you can do them on the floor. Today I'm going to try 3 notches from the bottom :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do my pushups on the Smith bar too. I'm currently on the 6th or 7th peg from the bottom, which I think is around 45 degrees, maybe a little more? I don't care as long as I can gradually get lower & lower.
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone, can't wait to try this on Friday!
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Did this today. The question that occurred to me though, was how far out to put my feet? When I did my push up the bar, and my hands, were right at my chest. Is this correct? When I do them on the floor, my hands are more in line with my shoulders. Should I move my feet out more?
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options
    Did this today. The question that occurred to me though, was how far out to put my feet? When I did my push up the bar, and my hands, were right at my chest. Is this correct? When I do them on the floor, my hands are more in line with my shoulders. Should I move my feet out more?

By "in line with" do you mean when you push down to the floor your chest is closer to the bar? That is the correct postiton, this allows your chest muscles to engage fully. Your legs should be fully stretched out so you are in plank position.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,979 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer calls it "the nipple line". This is where your body should meet the bar - at your nipple line. This will tell you how far you should have your feet behind your body. Do a warm-up set to get your form right (and the spacing of your feet).

Then, just BANG 'EM OUT, LADIES!!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I do mine on the smith machine too. Currently at peg 5. I really like that you can wrap your hand all the way around the bar - seems to be easier on the wrists.

Nipple line - that's a great description. I think that's what I have been doing, but I will confirm when I work out tonight or tomorrow.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've also done push-ups on the smith machine when I couldn't find something at the right height. plus I thought it was a bit easier on my wrists.

That being said, I've *just* transitioned to doing full pushups on the floor and I don't go *all* the way down. I go until my elbows are at 90 degrees. Maybe I'll progress to getting further down, but I'm happy with that and it'll help me progress further. I think it's more important to keep proper form (mainly keeping your back straight and not lifting your butt in the air) during the pushup.