New to paleo

Options
impyimpyaj
impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
Hey everyone! I've been toying with the idea of making the move toward paleo for quite a while, but my chiropractor last week convinced me to take the plunge. He believes it will help with several of the health issues I've been experiencing for the last decade or so. But I don't know anybody who eats this way (other than my chiro!), so I could use some support as I make these changes. I'd love to have some primal/paleo friends, if you can be patient with me through the transition process. :) Please add me!

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I promise you although it can be tough the health benefits are so worth it. I'm 50 days in and have seen great changes in my body and health :)

Feel free to add me if you like, I'm not perfect either but am trying.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I actually don't think it'll be that difficult craving-wise, it's just taking the time to change my thinking about what's for lunch. :) I actually don't care that much about grains, and I've cut out dairy before, and I know how much healthier that change made me and it wasn't that difficult. It's just DOING it. And not eating the apple fritters that my husband brings home as a "surprise." :laugh:
  • sdm329
    sdm329 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm new to this as well, so I'm right there with you. I just sent you a request and we'll do this together. :)
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Yay! :)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new too. Add me if you want.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I toyed with it for 2.5 years. Then one day I just went all in, and am still shocked at the health benefits I see everyday.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    After suffering with constant swelling of my ankles and inability to lose weight through calorie restriction, I went to the doctor. After getting my blood test results back and seeing my insulin resistance and other issues, she suggested I try the Paleo diet. The no rice, grains, legumes, dairy and pasta freaked me out a bit (knowing my fiancé isn't likely to give up these things). My doctor wanted me to ease into this lifestyle change.

I've been very successful so far with an 80/20 approach. Hre are some examples of how i'm dealing with the change. I seldom touch milk, but when it is my only choice for my coffee, then I make sure it's full fat ( which is a switch from my nonfat usual). I try to limit my yogurt and cheese intake, but haven't cut them completely. Per my doctor, my first priority was to eliminate beans, then bread. I've been pretty successful and now I have the willpower to able to say no to the bread basket when eating out, because the intense craving isn't there. Pasta was probably the thing that scared me the most. I tried making faux pasta with zucchini and summer squash ribbons and it was actually delicious. So I feel good that I have a way to continue eating pasta without the adverse reactions.

Within two weeks of starting the paleo path, my ankles were no longer balloons and my fullness triggers are starting to normalize, I have more energy, less digestion issues or insulin spikes. In the first month, I'm dropping weight daily (but I've got a 100lbs+ to lose) and I'm also trying to ensure 30 minutes of exercise 5x a week.
  • redpat74
    redpat74 Posts: 33
    Options
    Sounds great. I too am new to this Paleo way of eating. I am an older woman and in that stage of life where losing weight is nearly impossible. I am currently at about 80/20. Dairy not a problem, grains I don't miss, except went out for dinner last night and ate whole wheat bread. I will plan better next time out.

I started back in with regular exercise January 2012. I am now up to walking 5 miles on Sat and then again Sunday. If I have the time during the week I walk again, with Pilates 2x a week, and Elliptical in between. Working toward a 7 day a week work out regime.

My son has converted to Paleo and dropped body fat like mad. He exercises using sled, heavy weights, etc., and has transformed himself. I figure its never too late to try to better your health so here I am.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Been paleo over a year and hardest part is non-paleo people who think I'm nuts :-)

You'll find your own balance once you get into the groove of meal planning and choosing foods.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm sending friend requests to everybody in this thread, if that's ok. Feel free to ignore if you want. :) Would you mind sharing how you made the squash noodles, nil8r?

I've given up dairy in the past, when I was nursing my babies and they were allergic. Funny thing, *I'm* allergic, but that's never been enough reason for me to give it up on my own. :noway: So that's the first to go for me. I seem to do ok if I have it in small servings, so while I get used to the whole thing I'll keep it in as long as it's tiny amounts. No pizza. I'm not ready yet to give up my coffee with creamer, but I did cut back to one big mug/glass per day instead of 2 or 3. The only drawback I've noticed from that so far is that I get thirsty later in the morning and it's like I forgot how to drink water before noon. :laugh: I think my hardest thing will be grains, honestly. I love toast, I love corn chips, I love all that stuff.

But today was my first "official" day of really making an attempt to eat paleo, and while I'm sure it wasn't perfect, I think it was a good first day. My only issue was when I hit my typical afternoon slump (being woken up at 4:30 for no good reason will do that to ya), I NEEDED chocolate. But we don't have any, so crisis averted. And I just drank more water and had my snack that I had planned, and it passed. I'm just really trying hard to stick with it long enough to see the health benefits so I have motivation to keep going! I'm tired of feeling like crap.
  • fishburger
    fishburger Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join you as well. I have been working on the paleo approach for a month or two. I need accountability. I also just started with kettle bells at home.

I need to lose 50 pounds at least! I'm 40 years old, have 4 kids, and work full time. My husband is supportive in whatever plan I am on, but it's not easy.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I truly believe in it! I have Crohn's and RA and think it is helping more than I could have imaged. Only wish I could convince my family to take the plunge!

I wish you success and new friends are always welcomed!!! :flowerforyou:
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've been toying with the idea of making the move toward paleo for quite a while, but my chiropractor last week convinced me to take the plunge. He believes it will help with several of the health issues I've been experiencing for the last decade or so. But I don't know anybody who eats this way (other than my chiro!), so I could use some support as I make these changes. I'd love to have some primal/paleo friends, if you can be patient with me through the transition process. :) Please add me!

That Coke next to your head is making me thirsty.... Man, I miss coke!!!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

That Coke next to your head is making me thirsty.... Man, I miss coke!!!

haha I know! I realized this morning that I should change my profile pic. Probably not nice to have a Coke right there. :-P
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I'm a little frustrated because today my lunch is not paleo, and it's not because of something I even particularly love. I bought tofu 2 weeks ago, before I had that fateful chiro appointment, and I don't waste food unless it's absolutely necessary. If I had known I was going to start eating Grok-style, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Oh well -- at least it's not toast! :happy:
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Some of the friends in my feed have already responded to this thread. Great minds think alike. Friend request sent. Welcome to the wonderful way of living called Primal, Paleo, Ancestral Nutrition or whatever you'd like to call it.

We call it finally LIVING!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Thanks so much! :)
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ajweekley - I took a zucchini and yellow squash and with a veggie peeler, sliced into 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide ribbons. Then, I saute them in a pan w/ a little olive oil, butter, pepper and garlic until "al dente" or to taste. It's good w/ a meat sauce. I can also imagine it to go well with something like chicken piccata too.

I might try a lasagna pasta substitute with a larger zucchini or squash and make 1-2 inch wide slices.

Spaghetti squash is another awesome pasta alternative - http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/spagsquash.htm
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Sweet, thanks!

*GASP* I just realized that GRAVY isn't paleo. At least not the way I make it. Hmph. I love gravy! It's like my favorite food, second only to bacon. Maybe I'll have to figure out a different way to make it so I don't have to use the flour and milk.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sweet, thanks!

*GASP* I just realized that GRAVY isn't paleo. At least not the way I make it. Hmph. I love gravy! It's like my favorite food, second only to bacon. Maybe I'll have to figure out a different way to make it so I don't have to use the flour and milk.

Replicate an 'au jus' where to boil down juices to the essential flavor ... if you need to thicken, use arrowroot (my choice) ... there is no paleo law; you decide what works for you and let your body tell you what's worth it. For me, flour thickening isn't worth it but arrowroot works fine. Just don't use it to thicken milk based sauces (if you're primal) or it will be slimey.