anyone know anything about DHEA?

Options
I saw a new doctor today who prescribed DHEA. She said it would help my energy and motivation, and is also likely to help my sluggish metabolism so that I have the chance of finally successfully losing some weight. Has anyone with thyroid issues been recommended DHEA as well? I'm a bit concerned about possible side effects if it's taken long-term.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about it -- I would hope your doctor wouldn't prescribe if there are long-term ill effects???
    If your adrenals are fatigued - he probably should check your cortisol levels also -- looks like DHEA primarily comes from adrenals. I am almost 60 - so if it peaks in your 20s, I guess I don't have any!! :tongue:

Here's all I could find on www.stopthethyroidmadness.com:

DHEA, called the mother of steroid hormones, is a precursor to the hormones testosterone and estrogens, and produced mainly by the adrenal glands, and somewhat by the ovaries and testes. DHEA is made from cholesterol. It peaks in your 20′s and makes a steady decline.
  • jody0726
    jody0726 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My doctor started me on DHEA 2 weeks ago. He encouraged me to google DHEA at Mayo Clinic.com. For the past 2 weeks, I have taken it, as well as a testosterone injection and B12 injection. Doc also changed my Thyroid med. I go back in 2 more weeks to check bloodwork. I feel A LOT better, even through circumstances in my life aren't great. I've got A LOT going on, but have energy. We shall see what the weight loss is like in 2 more weeks. I wouldn't cast out DHEA just yet... that's all I'm saying...
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    keep us posted on how this goes! I just started taking 7Keto, which has DHEA metabolites, so I wonder if it will work the same. I have been pretty much reading everything I can about metabolism ( to try to figure out why mine is not working). I am planning to see my primary care doctor and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist, because there is really too much information out there and a lot of it conflicts.
  • jenniprr
    jenniprr Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post. My doctor just told me today that I have low levels of DHEA and I have to follow up with an endo. I also have hypothyroidism.
  • jenniprr
    Options
    tashdownunder, how have you been feeling?
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just started taking 7Keto, which has DHEA metabolites, so I wonder if it will work the same.
    I tried 7Keto for a few days but got some unbelievable leg muscle cramps in my legs. Had to stop. Hope it works for you.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My ND wanted me to try 7Keto, but I cannot tolerate it -- even on a very low dose it makes me very lightheaded and I get dizzy just turning my head.

Just be careful taking these supplements - not everyone can tolerate them - and I would only take them if a doctor recommended with awareness of medications and other supplements that I am taking.
  • jenniprr
    Options
    I am seeing my PCP on Friday to see how she wants to proceed. I don't have an endo that I like or I would have started there for treatment. I will report back!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a low dose of DHEA (10mg) for several years. I tend to stop taking it when I run out but, I do notice it does help me and I do seem to have an easier time losing weight when I'm on it. I don't know if this is because I tend to start eating better around the same time I pick it up. But, whatever the case I do notice a slight change when I have it as part of my vitamin regimen. Try it out and see how you feel after the first bottle or two are gone
  • dkschrader
    dkschrader Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    my doc has had me on it for about 1-2 months. after doing the 24hour saliva test for my cortisol (which was extremely low). And only 5 mg of DHEA. have I noticed any difference? maybe, but I have also started taking my thyroid med early morning before eating, and it is now compounded. So for me it is hard to say if I can tell any differnece from just DHEA. I have had to take 10mg when I can't find any 5mg tabs in the store. Just becareful like everyone has said, besure why you are taking it!
  • jenniprr
    Options
    Ok my doc said to just get some OTC DHEA from the health food store. Apparently my DHEA is extremely low, she explained. So I got the 25 mg and I have to get another blood test in 3 months to follow up and see how it's working. I am hoping this helps with my fatigue and hair loss. It would be great if it made my weight loss easier too.
    My doctor also said my blood work is a mystery because the hormones responsible for making the DHEA were in normal range but somehow the DHEA itself was very low. Hmm.
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    tashdownunder, how have you been feeling?

I actually didn't end up taking it. My endo recommended against it, and I trust her more than the other doc, who was only a general practitioner. Watching how it goes for others with interest though. I'm still having a hard time losing any weight even though im now on thyroxin. It's just such a tough battle. I put in a lot of effort with little result and it's incredibly frustrating.
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    I actually didn't end up taking it. My endo recommended against it, and I trust her more than the other doc, who was only a general practitioner. Watching how it goes for others with interest though. I'm still having a hard time losing any weight even though im now on thyroxin. It's just such a tough battle. I put in a lot of effort with little result and it's incredibly frustrating.
    [/quote]

You are not alone. I'm at a 4 month plateau. Don't give up!
  • jenniprr
    Options
    Here is my report so far. Last week the scale finally moved. I lost about 3 lbs. Over the past week or two I have also noticed my face is rather shiny and oily. I usually have dry skin. My hair, which is normally very dry, is greasier than normal too. I woke up today with some pimples. I never break out! And my period is a few days late. I looked up the side effects of DHEA and it looks like I am hitting most of them LOL My belly hurt the first few weeks, too but has been good over the last few days.