99 two hours after bkfst

Options
6swolcott
6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
one week into this thing and because of awesome advice on this board, ive learned to test test test, my sugar two hours after brkfst is 99, I love knowing that I can test all the time (dr should have told me that) to learn what to eat and what not to eat to keep those levels low Thank you to all for the inspiration and motivation to be healthy

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    /That's great!!!! Way to own it. Are you doing diet control or on any meds
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Great job. I almost never get that low. Keep up the good work.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's great!

I don't know why more doctors don't encourage more frequent testing, especially at first. It's the only way we have to know how each food effect us and whether or not it can remain in our diet.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    nice. that's my fast morning reading...
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Dr told me to limit carbs to 45 per meal , and 15-30 per snack eat three meals and two snacks a day try to eat every 3 hours something, and to walk, so Ive been walking two miles a day, and she also put me on metformin 500 mg twice a day
  • Cyngen
    Options

Dr told me to limit carbs to 45 per meal , and 15-30 per snack eat three meals and two snacks a day try to eat every 3 hours something, and to walk, so Ive been walking two miles a day, and she also put me on metformin 500 mg twice a day

Great. Yeah the keeping our blood glucose on an even keel seems to be one great goal. I was on metformin but it didn't agree with me at all. Now I'm on Glipizide and Victoza. My long term goal is to drop weight, exercise and get off these meds totally.

Good luck and keep at it. Bravo
  • mahutch1
    mahutch1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's a great number! I love it when mine get below 100. I'm usually between 115 and 125 after two hours. Keep testing. That's how I got mine under control. I was taking Met twice a day and now take it when needed. You keep numbers like that and you won't need the meds for long! And keep up the exercise too!
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great. Yeah the keeping our blood glucose on an even keel seems to be one great goal. I was on metformin but it didn't agree with me at all. Now I'm on Glipizide and Victoza. My long term goal is to drop weight, exercise and get off these meds totally.

I was originally put on Metformin, then switched to Glipizide and Victoza. I'm on my 3rd month without Glipizide right now, waiting for the next doc appointment to see how my A1C is. So nice to find someone else on here taking Victoza!
  • waldenfam2
    Options
    That's great!

I don't know why more doctors don't encourage more frequent testing, especially at first. It's the only way we have to know how each food effect us and whether or not it can remain in our diet.

I completely agree! At first my doctor said once a day! Really? How am I supposed to know what foods are doing what if I can only test once a day? My Mother-in-law was just diagnosed this week and her doctor said twice a day. I told her to test, test, test, and just buy the strips. Her doctor also told her that she'll never be off of meds with an A1C of 7.0 (just diagnosed)! What the heck.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

I completely agree! At first my doctor said once a day! Really? How am I supposed to know what foods are doing what if I can only test once a day? My Mother-in-law was just diagnosed this week and her doctor said twice a day. I told her to test, test, test, and just buy the strips. Her doctor also told her that she'll never be off of meds with an A1C of 7.0 (just diagnosed)! What the heck.

I'd be looking for a new doctor. I've know MANY people who started with an A1C much higher who are off meds. Heck, mine was a 7.3 in January and my doctor told me with some work, it could be in the normal range in 6 months (we'll see in August)That's a completely ridiculous statement - how de-motivating!
  • lmclean58
    lmclean58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Waldenfam2 - Your MIL should definitely look for another Dr. Maybe an endocrinologist? or at least a Dr with more experience with diabetes. I test 3x daily. On one Dr visit when I saw the RN instead, she said I could drop to 1x/day (this was only 3 weeks after I'd been diagnosed) since I'd lost 15 lbs and had been walking and behaving myself. It made me feel like she wasn't taking my diagnosis seriously.

I need to test often to learn what I can and can't get away with. Testing helps keep my on my meal & exercise plan. I'm also learning more about what foods work and what doesn't work.

Testing is the only way to know what is really going on. Good luck!
  • waldenfam2
    Options

I'd be looking for a new doctor. I've know MANY people who started with an A1C much higher who are off meds. Heck, mine was a 7.3 in January and my doctor told me with some work, it could be in the normal range in 6 months (we'll see in August)That's a completely ridiculous statement - how de-motivating!

I completely agree. I've told her that my doctor is really strict about diabetes control and personally think he's excellent. But you know how it is, she wants to give it some time and see how it goes. I still can't believe with a 7.0 A1C she was put on 2000mg of metformin a day (which she isn't taking).

My two hour is floating between 120 and 140 right now and I am not happy about it at all. I'm only on the Victoza, dropped the glipizide because I was having very low reading's before lunch, and that was with a snack between breakfast and lunch. Now I'm thinking at my next doctors appointment I should see if I can try 500mg of metformin a day and possibly go off the Victoza. That would make the insurance company extremely happy too :)
  • Cyngen
    Options

I was originally put on Metformin, then switched to Glipizide and Victoza. I'm on my 3rd month without Glipizide right now, waiting for the next doc appointment to see how my A1C is. So nice to find someone else on here taking Victoza!

Has the victoza made you eat less as well? I find i get full fast with less than 1/2 of my former portions. My goal by end of year is to be off the Victoza and then eventually off the glipizide as well.
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That is fantastic ... and soooo normal! Go you! I have yet to get that low except after exercise!
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My A1c at diagnosis 6 weeks ago was over 11. I am not on any meds. I started beating back my FBS with diet and have been working so hard at it that the endocrinologist wants me to keep doing what I;m doing rather than add metformin. I am on crestor for cholesterol and hopefully that will be much lower, as will my A1C at the end of July. Dr. said she thinks it is about 6.7 right now, based on the average of my morning readings. Time will tell. You can get off the meds. I ay that knowing someday I will probably need to be on them. But I plan to make that a very long time from now!
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    My primary care will not give me a prescription for test strips, so I have to get them from my endo. I stick with my primary care because he is also a cardiologist; but he thinks you just wait for your A1c results. Not happening. I started out test, test, testing during my workouts @ 20 to 30 minute intervals. I would see my blood sugar rise to 250/300 (fueling based on my fasting numbers - berries; half a slice of whole wheat toast,) then drop like a rock within another 20. Didn't mean a thing to my primary, but it did to my endo.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nice job!

Seems like I've been on all the meds at some point and they all stop working.... I was on Metformin but that was very hard on my stomach as was Byetta. My dr just stopped the victoza and put me on insulin and I still take the actos. It is really working well. I have one that I take every night and then another that I take if my sugar gets too high. It's kind of liberating as I can "use it" as needed. I started the C25K program a little over a week ago and that has had a dramatic effect on my BG. And I'm now actually serious about what I eat. I actually had a reading of 90 the other morning. I haven't had to take the second insulin for two days now, so that's been awesome too.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    So, 2 hours is the best time to test after eating???

I need to start carrying my test stuff with me. My doc was more concerned about my high BS in the mornings, so he was just having me test in the AM when i got up, and at night before bed. My a1c was 5.8 recently, so i guess i'm doing OK, but it would be really nice to understand how the food i eat effects me.

sometimes i'm fine after I eat, others i am ready to pass out after an hour or so.

I have a fitbit to help me track activity and calorie burn, and i can have 3 glucose trackers too...so that would be great.