Does anyone work at home becuase of Fibromyalgia?

Options
I have been deemed unable to work due to my Fibromyalgia symptoms by my doctor and I am currently receiving disability. I don't know about anyone else, but as for me...I would MUCH rather be working than sitting at home being in severe pain, fatigue and fog! I know most people, (including some family members), think that I am just being lazy and that this is my way of getting out of working. For those people who think that, SCREW U, (excuse my language)!! I would challenge anyone who feels that way to walk in my footsteps long enough for them to truly experience what it's like, not just physically, but emotionally as well. I have been thru and lost 5, (that's right, 5), jobs, because of this condition. Although I am improving, sometimes I have as many as 3weeks or a month of feeling well enough to go back to work, but then inevitably, I wind up back in bed for a week and half in so much pain that I would not be able to work no matter how much I wanted to. So, how can I go to a perspective employer and say, "yes, I can be here everyday," with any confidence? :frown:

Therefore, I'm really interested in working from home on my own schedule to supplement my disablility payments or even replace them and make more, if possible. Is there anyone out there who is working from home and making enough money to pay the bills that disability isn't enough to pay? I would really welcome any and all suggestions or opportunities that might help put me on the path to making this happen. Thank you, in advance, to anyone who can help me. :smile:

Replies

• TAMMYCLARK62
    Options
    I am not working due to my fibro also. I would love to hear suggestions anyone has to offer about working from home too. I feel I would not be dependable to an employer to guarantee that I would be able to work full time or not have to go off because of feeling like crap. I do some bookkeeping from home but I don't feel I am educated enough to get into this further. I know exactly how you feel about confidently going to a perspective employer and how people make you feel that what is wrong is not real and that you are lazy. I have been getting exercise and eating better and this has helped but I do get sick alot but I keep trying and I will not quit.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do not work from home but had to go from full time to part time work and that has helped considerably healthwise (not so much with the $$!) I work from 10-3 M,T,W, F and am off on Thursdays. The later start helps with the morning stiffness and feeling yucky and having a day off during the week really helps to be able to rest (or whatever). When I was fulltime, I missed probably 2 days a month due to the fibro, that wasn't going over well with my employer. This situation works much better, they are happier and I am at work most days (have only missed 5 days in the last 5 years!). Good luck in your search and here's to better health for all of us!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I no longer work because it's not fair to an employer to have an employee they can't depend on. I am a stay at home mom. I just started selling Body by Vi shakes hoping that brings in some income. I also plan on making some crafts for my MIL to take to craft shows and sell for me. Wish you luck in whatever you find to do :)
  • FibroFit
    FibroFit Posts: 5
    Options
    I work part time and I work from home. I don't think that I could hold down a job from 9-5 I am doing better but I'm not fixed by any means there are somedays that I just feel like I can't accomplish anything! So frustrating!

Good for you all for working so hard and for trying to control your weight with fibromyalgia. If any of you need a helping hand, understanding or just someone to cheer you on add me! I know it's hard but Feel free to use me as your personal cheerleader!
  • TLCLuvNLife
    Options
    Good for you!!! Thanks for the great response! U certainly have a strong will and you have inspired me! I'm not going to be giving up anytime soon either. Also, I want to be the best role model that I can be for my teenage daughter! I'm going to keep looking for work from home opportunities and will be glad to share any ideas with you. As for your bookkeeping skills, have you considered maybe taking an online course from home to boost your knowledge and skills in that department? Just a suggestion. I wouldn't know the first thing about bookkeeping. Personally, I have always hated math and math has always hated me right back! LOL! Anyway, thanks again for your inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • TLCLuvNLife
    Options
    that previous reply was for TammyClark
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I no longer work because it's not fair to an employer to have an employee they can't depend on. I am a stay at home mom. I just started selling Body by Vi shakes hoping that brings in some income. I also plan on making some crafts for my MIL to take to craft shows and sell for me. Wish you luck in whatever you find to do :)

Look in to merchandising, it's great ! They give you a dead line and you can do it any time before that. Sometime you have to send them a pictures of the completed job. If you work for one company, there can be lot of driving between. I worked for 4 companies and if you schedule your jobs right it's not so bad.

I understand about not being fair to the employer. I worked for some great merchandising company. I had to let them go to care to a family member. between the fibro and caring for my dad, I just couldn't keep up.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What kind of merchandising? Is there a website or something? I might be interested in this. Thanks for the response :flowerforyou:
  • gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What kind of merchandising? Is there a website or something? I might be interested in this. Thanks for the response :flowerforyou:

Merchandising can be anything from putting brochures in doctors offices, putting coupons on products, ads in the stores (floor and glass graphic, banners, coupons, and anything else and advertiser can think of...lol), audits, cut-ins (moving products in the shelf to make room for something new), building displays, and a whole lot more.

The best website is Volition (http://www.volition.com/) . They have a forum where everyone talks about what is going on with different companies and you can post questions of your own. Volition also have forums on demos, mystery shopping, frugal living and a lot more. besides the forums they have a bunch of other stuff to help people work from home.

Another good website is Rat Race Rebellion (http://www.ratracerebellion.com/). this isn't so much merchandising but legitimate work at home jobs. they have new jobs posted everyday. stuff like courthouse research, blogging, Administrative & Clerical, Call Center & Customer Service and again so much more.

I have gotten great jobs from both of these websites.

ONE BIG NOTE !!!! ALWAYS DO RESEARCH ON ANY COMPANY BEFORE DOING ANY WORK FOR THEM!!! Find out stuff like are you an independent contractor or employee, do they pay mileage, how long does it take to get paid, do you need a camera, fax, printer, ect......
  • FibroTrackTerry
    Options
    I do not work at home because of Fibro - but I do work from home full time "on" Fibro.

I have worked from home for the past 12 years and know a lot about how to leverage technology to increase productivity while working from home.

Please - share what specific skills you have. What do you know how to do? Software, speaking, typing, proofreading... ANYTHING. There are tons of ways to leverage skills that you have to earn an income working from home on your own schedule.

Any help I can provide please let me know!

Oh.... and to the original poster of this thread - SCREW THEM INDEED! Those who do not walk in your shoes CANNOT understand what you battle.

Terry
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that at this point in my life I don't have to work. If I do however, have to go back to work, it would have to be 2nd shift because mornings are hell for me. It takes me at least an hour or 2 to get rid of the stiffness. I hate it when people think I'm lazy because I say that I'm just 'not a morning person' to cover it up. Some can be so judgemental! Ignore them.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Volition.com has a lot of information on merchandising and mystery shopping. DO NOT PAY for information!