Cardio 2 & Workout 5

Options
Wow that is a difficult one! Huge David made me feel like a failure for not jumping as high as him. Other than that though I really liked it. I like it better than Cardio 1---really didn't like the suicides or the running man. What do other people think of this one? Also, Workout 5 killed me! The combination of the circuits was brutal. Normally I can do the tricep dips with one leg in the air but I had to drop twice since I was dying. Also, I hate how much cable is in that workout; I can't get mine together fast enough so I wind up being behind.

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing 3 weeks of workouts 5 & 6, so I'm pretty familiar :). The one legged crabs will get easier. In a week, you'll be able to do all of them. I love Cardio 2. That guy definitely motivates me to jump higher on the burpees. I do love the suicides, but they come back in other ways again (also she uses them in her separate Kickboxing Fastfix DVD, which I occassionally add in for additional cardio). I thought 5 & 6 felt like a big jump from weeks 3/4, but one tip I know that helped me transition to workout 7 & 8 was previewing the workouts and quickly trying out the moves to ensure that when I do the workout, I'll understand how to do them. I didn't do that for workout 5 & 6 and was frustrated the first time I did both of those workouts. Once you get to know the workout, you'll get better with the cables; I actually became to like that circuit, because all of the cable moves became a challenge. The cable is used throughout (or at least as far as I've gone, which is workout 7 & 8)...
  • Ceceamanda
    Ceceamanda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like how fast we move through the exercises in Cardio 2. Yesterday was my first day and I loved how David got the spotlight! He cracks me up for some reason so I can't help but be motivated to go hard. I hate burpees. More than the suicides. But only have to do a minute 30 in total so I'm trying not to complain :) Workout 5 is the most frustrating for me. I hate the cable work. So today I dropped it and used weights instead (light weights) Felt I was able to have better form so hopefully more effective for me thany struggling with the cable. I hate the crabs. My shoulders just can't handle it yet and I'm very protective of them after a slight injury a few weeks ago. I'm sure next week will be better. The best part of this program is how your muscles learn how to do these moves pretty quick.
  • pmcjt
    pmcjt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Those crabs and I just didn't mesh. I struggled and was so frustrated that I just could NOT do them. No matter how I modified my form, slowed it down, etc. I just couldn't get my butt up and arms working at the same time to support myself. I switched to tricep dips off a chair for 4 workouts. Just for kicks, I tried the crabs again this week and I can do them. I think it was a strength thing. I just encourage you to keep trying. Modify, then try again. My new challenge is the reverse plank. Again, same issue. I think it is partly range of motion because when they do the behind the back stretch for the upper chest, everyone has their arms way behind them and I'm fighting to get mine off my lower back.

I'm on to workouts 7 and 8 next week and I am definitely going to preview the dvds! That is a great tip!
  • princess2boys
    princess2boys Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Cardio 2 and while I do hate the burpees, they are a fun challenge to try to do...I didn't think I'd be able to do 1. My form isn't perfect, and it's not pretty...but I'm doing the best I can and have never felt stronger! I am also liking 5/6...I've been sore...just enough to remind me that I was doing something right this morning ;o)

Christie
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I love the Cardio 2 as well...but that Workout 5....I must say I like 6 better....but it's all fun with Jillian and what she does for your body....Thinking I may spend 3 weeks on this one...being I think I could put more effort into doing what it takes for Workout 5....Never liked burpees but they do right for the lower stomach so force them out.. I am liking how this program is chaning my body and leaning me out!
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I cannot do running mans (weak bladder there), so I do the kick outs with arm circles in it's place. As for the crabs.....they kill my wrists! Am I the only one? I tried putting my hands out to the side and back out behind me and still hurt. I focus so much on the hurt that I just cannot get through them at all.
  • formerpyt
    formerpyt Posts: 56
    Options
    LOVE cardio 2! When I exercise, I need to play "mind games" with myself so I know how much longer I can plan to suffer. Intervals in cardio 1 are too long and I searched for verbal cues from Jillian so I could talk myself into sticking with them. Cardio 2 is faster and more intense, but somehow more manageable for me. I think it's because I can tell myself - "one more circuit" or "just hooks and burpees then you're finished". You can talk yourself into or out of anything.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    LOVE cardio 2! When I exercise, I need to play "mind games" with myself so I know how much longer I can plan to suffer. Intervals in cardio 1 are too long and I searched for verbal cues from Jillian so I could talk myself into sticking with them. Cardio 2 is faster and more intense, but somehow more manageable for me. I think it's because I can tell myself - "one more circuit" or "just hooks and burpees then you're finished". You can talk yourself into or out of anything.

OMG, you are so right! I think that's why I love the "structure" of Jillian's workouts. I know there are 4 circuits in the workouts (3 with the cardio workouts) and you do each exercise twice in each circuit. I feel like when I "chunk" it out in my brain, I know I can do. Believe me, there are times, I'm about to scream towards the end of a circuit, but I get through. It's all about the self-talk!
  • princess2boys
    princess2boys Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I need to be careful with my wrists as well, so I don't push it. I make sure my form is as good as I can get and just do what I can do. When I feel my wrists start to ache, I stop. May not be the right way to do it, but so far it's working for me and I haven't had to miss anything due to sore wrists.

Christie
  • Crys32
    Crys32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My wrists hurt from doing crabs and reverse plank as well. My first few weeks, I couldnt hold myself to do the reverse plank, but yesterday I totally did it! It hurt like hell and I cursed Jillian, but I did it.
  • KGTraxler
    KGTraxler Posts: 144
    Options
    What does everyone think of the warmup for workout 5? I feel so awkward doing the yoga. Everyone looks so graceful and I feel like an elephant in my living room.