Yogurt?

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
Do you guys eat Greek Yogurt? I have never tried it. I know I need the unflavored kind. What do you think about it and how to you liven it up (add berries)? I may have asked this before so sorry. I still never bought any so I don't remember if I asked or not.

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it anymore, but I used to. My favorite thing to do was to buy pitted,unsweetened frozen cherries. About half an hour to an hour before I wanted to eat, I'd take out half a cup of frozen cherries and thaw them in a bowl. They get all juicy. Then add in your plain Greek yogurt (I think it was a cup) and mix it all up. Soooo good. Works well with blueberries too.

I also used to like it with a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and just a splash of milk. You don't NEED the milk, but it gets kind of sticky. With the milk, it's almost like pudding. So yummy, and chock full of protein!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it a lot - but when I went strict Paleo I cut out all dairy and have now added a little back in (mainly a few dallops of half and half and grassfed butter) but have found too much causes stomach issues...my husband still does - he usually gets the plain greek from Trader Joes and dishes it out into a small plastic container and adds in some frozen berries (Cherry Berry blend from TJ) - by lunch time being the fridge the berries have melted and thawed a bit to give a nice touch of sweet to the tartness of the plain yogurt
  • Snapdragons3
    Snapdragons3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What advantage does greek have over other plain yogurts?
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has more protein usually.

I no longer eat yogurt but when I did I really liked the Fage brand. I would eat it with homemade granola (which I no longer eat).
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I like the Fage brand as well, I'll get a tub maybe once a week or every other. I like fresh or frozen berries and walnuts. If you eat while the berries are still frozen it makes like a frozen yogurt. I used to eat it with grapenuts and missed the crunch, the walnuts give me the crunch plus needed fat and calories. I sprinkle flax on too, and local honey in the spring. My mom uses it in smoothies, haven't tried that yet.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it anymore, but I used to. My favorite thing to do was to buy pitted,unsweetened frozen cherries. About half an hour to an hour before I wanted to eat, I'd take out half a cup of frozen cherries and thaw them in a bowl. They get all juicy. Then add in your plain Greek yogurt (I think it was a cup) and mix it all up. Soooo good. Works well with blueberries too.

I also used to like it with a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and just a splash of milk. You don't NEED the milk, but it gets kind of sticky. With the milk, it's almost like pudding. So yummy, and chock full of protein!

This sounds so good!!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm back on Greek Yogurt... was using only Coconut Yogurt (made from coconut milk) but it is not as high in protein, higher in fat and much more expensive.
    I avoid cheese and milk but still enjoy a little butter now in then and my occasional Greek yogurt.

So what type of "protein powder" do you use...I really miss my Muscle Milk :flowerforyou:
  • weecdngeer
    weecdngeer Posts: 8
    Options
    I went paleo based on my doctor's recommendation, and on my last visit she recommended I consider adding geek yogurt back into my diet based on recent research.(about insulin levels I believe???)
    I love that stuff, so I really don't care enough to check into it... it's on the grocery list!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Taste. Greek-style yogurt has moisture pressed out so that it is thicker, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as standard yogurt..

I use goat yogurt myself, it is milder than cow yogurt (more like sour cream than yogurt, really) and is more easily digestible than cow yogurt. Actually, all goat and sheep dairy is more easily digestible. Worldwide, more people eat goat dairy than cow dairy - it's only here in the US that cow dairy is so prevalent. ;)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with stonyfield whole milk plain yogurt or local yogurt from grassfed cows. For some reason, the greek yogurt hurts my stomach. I love the probiotics from yogurt and kombucha though!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm back on Greek Yogurt... was using only Coconut Yogurt (made from coconut milk) but it is not as high in protein, higher in fat and much more expensive.
    I avoid cheese and milk but still enjoy a little butter now in then and my occasional Greek yogurt.

So what type of "protein powder" do you use...I really miss my Muscle Milk :flowerforyou:

the Organic Whey :) It's wonderful- pure whey (no casein).