sugar 79

Options
6swolcott
6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
two hours after eating sugar is 79 is that bad? to low? should i be doing something different?

Replies

• mahutch1
    mahutch1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If you were shakey or light headed I would try eating some more carbs to raise that up. If you just exercised, that could cause an off number. It could also just be a fluke number. If it happens again, I would wait 5 minutes and retest.. If it happens frequently, I would talk with your doctor. That could just be your "normal".
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Technically, 79 isn't low. Are you on medications?? Metformin does not typically cause hypoglycemia, but the risks of hypos increase with insulin use or oral medications that stimulate insulin production.

mahutch1 is correct...base treatment on how you feel. Your monitor is not exact - there's a +- of (I think) 15 points, so don't panic over a number. If you are feeling it, it's also important to recognize a false low. If your BG is typically much higher, 79 is going to feel much much lower to you than it actually is. A diabetic friend gets shaky around 100 because she's used to being around 190.

To treat low blood sugar the 15/15 rule is usually applied.
    Eat 15 grams of carbohydrate and wait 15 minutes.
    The following foods will provide about 15 grams of carbohydrate:

3 glucose tablets
    Half cup (4 ounces) of fruit juice or regular soda
    6 or 7 hard candies
    1 tablespoon of sugar

After the carbohydrate is eaten, the person should wait about 15 minutes for
    the sugar to get into their blood. If the person does not test within a good range
    in 15 minutes, more carbohydrate can be consumed. Their blood sugar should be
    checked every 15 minutes until it has come within a safe range.

You don't want to treat so aggressively that you start a rollercoaster of a hyper followed by rebound hypo - that will really make you feel crummy. You do want the carbs to be close to pure sugar ... no candy bar (the fat will slow down the rise you are looking for), but maybe 2 rolls of Smarties (each roll has 6 g carbs)

Once you've come into a good range, consume a small balanced snack ...peanut butter on a couple of saltines, for example.

I personally have gone as low as 62 and have been in the mid to upper 60's regularly. I don't feel any different...no shakes, no dizziness, headache, sweats, hostile or "drunk" behavior...zip, zilch, no symptoms. So...I PERSONALLY don't treat numbers in the 60's, but at the same time, if i am that low, I don't consume any alcohol or exercise strenuously.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm on Metformin only and I've had lows like that especially if I've had a long aerobic exercise session. In fact I've done 2.5/3hr sessions on the days I crave pancakes, real maple syrup with berries. I work out BEFORE I eat them and I don't spike at all because I've created a glycogen deficit in both my muscles and liver. On the day I do my crazy thing,on Saturdays, even after eating the pancakes, I am fighting lows. As long as you are not going below 55, you will be fine even if you get the shakes between 55 and under 90
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    A glucose reading of 79 isn't too low. I don't think you technically enter "low" territory until you are 72 or below. Whether or not you need to do something to raise that 79 up a little depends on how it makes you feel. If you are feeling fine at 79, I wouldn't do anything. If you are feeling hypo, go ahead and eat something to raise it a bit.

If you are on Met only, you're risk of going super low is pretty insignificant, but it can happen. I'm on Met only and usually stay between 78-100 24/7, but have seen it drop into the 60's and 50's on multiple occasions, but unless I'm feeling bad I still won't eat anything to bump it up.

It's funny, my 2-hours after lunch reading yesterday was also 79. I usually don't test at that time anymore, but I noticed I was getting really irritated at the silliest things at work so I tested. Normally a 79 wouldn't cause me to take action because it usually doesn't bother me, but irritability is always the first sign I show when low glucose starts to bother me, so I popped a handful of almonds and felt better within a few minutes.

Bottom line is treat it according to how you feel. If you feel fine, no need to do anything unless you are really low. I hit 39 one day and was still feeling fine but I treated it because that really is way too low, no matter how you feel. But anything in the upper 50's and up aren't really a concern, at least in my opinion.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    "In most people, subtle reduction of mental efficiency can be observed when the glucose falls below 65 mg/dl (3.6 mM). Impairment of action and judgment usually becomes obvious below 40 mg/dl (2.2 mM). Seizures may occur as the glucose falls further. As blood glucose levels fall below 10 mg/dl (0.55 mM), most neurons become electrically silent and nonfunctional, resulting in coma. These brain effects are collectively referred to as neuroglycopenia."

I personnaly begin feeling the symptoms somewhere between 55 and 60mg/dl. The more often you experience hypoglycemia, and the more severe it is, the more likely you are to become accustomed to it, and miss the warning signs as you fall into a dangerous range. So I treat low blood sugars anytime I see them, whether I am feeling the symptoms or not.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can feel it in myself when my BG falls below 75. Nothing significant, just a slight change in the force. Between 60 and 70 I can feel the change more significantly and under 60 I get shaky.

I also feel an impact to my body if my BG drops quickly from significant exercise.

I find when I'm doing exercise my BG can drop significantly due to one of my meds, so I have the glucose tablets with me always.

79 is a great number IMO, but everyone is different in how they feel.
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    I have had the same problem with my sugar dropping rapidly during exercise. At the advice of my endo, I now drink low calorie gatorade while I exercise instead of water. For the extra 45 calories in a 20 oz bottle, I can avoid that aweful low feeling, which sometimes drives me to eat everything in sight. Thought I'd pass on the tip.
  • Cyngen
    Options
    I have had the same problem with my sugar dropping rapidly during exercise. At the advice of my endo, I now drink low calorie gatorade while I exercise instead of water. For the extra 45 calories in a 20 oz bottle, I can avoid that aweful low feeling, which sometimes drives me to eat everything in sight. Thought I'd pass on the tip.

Thanks for the tip. I also thought to try Low carb Monster drink. How fast does your BG drop? Mine can go from 234 just after having breakfast to 74 in 30 minutes or so of working out with a fast walk at times.
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, for all the help, my dr didnt give me much info and Ive only been at this for two weeks now, it helped me to feel better and Im trying to locate a nutritionist to meet with to learn more I appreciate everyones help
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I also thought to try Low carb Monster drink. How fast does your BG drop? Mine can go from 234 just after having breakfast to 74 in 30 minutes or so of working out with a fast walk at times.

I usually try to exercise after eating. So it can go from around 140 to 53 with a half hour walk.
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    thanks everyone, for all the help, my dr didnt give me much info and Ive only been at this for two weeks now, it helped me to feel better and Im trying to locate a nutritionist to meet with to learn more I appreciate everyones help

Best of luck to you. You probably don't need to worry about the extreme lows, since you're not on insulin. I'm on Insulin, Victoza, Metformin, Actos and glimepiride. So you can see why I'm stuggling for control.
  • Cyngen
    Options
    I'm on Victoza and glipizide. The glip is what can make me go low. And fast it seems. :)

Good luck to all.
  • kvsmith59
    kvsmith59 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ok, so now I'm a little freaked out. I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic a couple of years ago and put on Metformin, and then later Actos. Unfortunately until I found this website I was basically in denial. Never tested my blood, ate what I wanted, etc. Since joining MFP, I've been getting better at what I eat (compared to before), and have started testing my blood every morning when I get up. When I started testing, my glucose count was around 240 every morning. I am now averaging around 180....crappy but better than before. (I'm a carb addict I think) Anyways I recently had an A1c test done and the result was 8.8. My doctor gave me the choice of trying insulin shots or Glipizide, so I chose the Glipizide. I just picked up the prescription today and plan on starting tomorrow.

After reading what you guys have posted, I'm a little nervous about taking it. Doc wants me to have readings below 140 every day. Last thing I need is to become hypoglycemic.....
  • poodlelaise
    Options
    After reading what you guys have posted, I'm a little nervous about taking it. Doc wants me to have readings below 140 every day. Last thing I need is to become hypoglycemic.....

No. Last thing you need is permanent damage to your heart or kidneys or extremities from the effects of such a high A1c. An occaisional low is inconvenient and uncomfortable, but quite temporary. Not quite the same thing.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

No. Last thing you need is permanent damage to your heart or kidneys or extremities from the effects of such a high A1c. An occaisional low is inconvenient and uncomfortable, but quite temporary. Not quite the same thing.

This! Medication is there to help and the constant highs, which are a FACT for you, are much worse than the chance of an occasional low, which are a POSSIBILITY for you.
  • kvsmith59
    kvsmith59 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I know you're right and appreciate the input. I think I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday :)