What's your favorite horror remake?

Options
istalkzombies
istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
My fav would probably be Rob Zombie's "Halloween" remake it was awesome, I might even rank it ahead of the original, I also loved the 98 Godzilla movie, totally thought it was entertaining.

Replies

• Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Godzilla was great! I liked Steven Sommers' "The Mummy" (even though thats not really a remake)

I also liked Quarentine (remake of [Rec])

Cant think of many others right now
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    Godzilla was great! I liked Steven Sommers' "The Mummy" (even though thats not really a remake)

Forgot Quarentine was a sort of remake.

The Mummy was pretty good also liked The Mummy returns just hated how at the end the "Scorpion King" was a CGI half human and half scorpion that wa sjust poitnless and ruined what could have been an epic sword fight between the 3.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

there were also movies like The Ring, and The Grudge, and One Missed Call, and Shutter but I enjoyed the original Japanese ones a bit more than the American Remakes.
  • istalkzombies
    Options

there were also movies like The Ring, and The Grudge, and One Missed Call, and Shutter but I enjoyed the original Japanese ones a bit more than the American Remakes.

The Ring was ok wasnt a huge fan, Grudge was pretty cool, One Missed Call was pretty good, Shutter was the best of the bunch I thought.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. I still think it's one of the best zombie flicks on the shelves... best opening to any zombie movie ever.

Some others:
    1988 remake of The Blob.
    Carpenter's remake of The Thing.
    The American remake of Ringu wasn't too bad actually.
    1978 Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I'm gonna go with the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. I still think it's one of the best zombie flicks on the shelves... best opening to any zombie movie ever.

Some others:
    1988 remake of The Blob.

Holy crap I can't believe I forgot Dawn of the Dead! and of course The Thing.

The Hills Have Eyes was pretty good, Straw Dogs was ok. I Spit On Your Grave was good not as awesome as the original and Last House On The Left was pretty dceent except I thoughtt he rape scene lasted longer than necessary
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've yet to see a remake of an asian horror that isn't worse than the original. If we're talking about remakes though, probably night of the living dead or the blob. I will say this though I LOVED the new Freddy Kruger, course he'll never be as amazing as Robert Englund but I think he did a great job at doing his own spin on the character.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I've yet to see a remake of an asian horror that isn't worse than the original. If we're talking about remakes though, probably night of the living dead or the blob. I will say this though I LOVED the new Freddy Kruger, course he'll never be as amazing as Robert Englund but I think he did a great job at doing his own spin on the character.

LOL agreed! haha The Blob, I still consider that more comedy than horror but ya its fun. And yes the new Nightmare Of Elm Street remake was pretty awesome a lot better than I expected same with the remake of Friday The 13TH.

I would lvoe to see a more modern remake of Night Of The LiVing Dead in a sort Dawn Of The Dead style mold.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I quite liked I spit on your grave
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I quite liked I spit on your grave

the remake was pretty good I liked the original a lot more tho
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I'm really not a fan of re-makes in general, I find most don't live up to the original.
    the original for sure was awesome, but this re-make was one of the least offensive in the last 10 years.

Before I get jumped and beaten for the above statement, I'm not bashing, I've watched a lot of the re-makes, but you have some that are just such poor pieces of crap compaired to the original
    Nightmare on Elm street, Omen - were pale in comparison of the original creepy feeling you got when you first watched the original.
    It also might be that I would love more originals to be made versus re-makes.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I'm really not a fan of re-makes in general, I find most don't live up to the original.
    the original for sure was awesome, but this re-make was one of the least offensive in the last 10 years.

AGREED!, it was definitly better than what I anticipated. I was worried sick when I found they were remaking it but was plenty pleased after seeing it
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

Some others:
    1988 remake of The Blob.

Holy crap I can't believe I forgot Dawn of the Dead! and of course The Thing.

The Hills Have Eyes was pretty good, Straw Dogs was ok. I Spit On Your Grave was good not as awesome as the original and Last House On The Left was pretty dceent except I thoughtt he rape scene lasted longer than necessary

I TOTALLY forgot that The Thing was a remake of "The Thing from Outer-Space"

MAN The Thing, is one of my favorites. I even liked the prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing that came out last year. Added another level of general creepyness from that life form. Its funny because the original "Thing from Outer-space" kinda followed the prequel to john Carpenter's The Thing. The new one made last year, where as J C's was like a sequel to that original.

During halloween last year, I went through a maze that was inspired by that movie. Man it was the best maze I went through. (Protip: you can find it on Youtube to see what it was like if you just look up "The Thing: Assimilation HHN 2011")