Irregular period

Options
Hi girls!

I have irregular period for past 5 months (well I did not have them for 5 months). I also did not have them for whole sumemr last summer. After I did my research, I finally realized it was because of me eating way under. I was working out a lot and was not eating well.

So for girls who had irregular.. with this EMTLW-- how long did it take you to have it back? I don't miss it, but I need it! LOL :)

Again.. I have to vent.. bloated sucks ;)<3

Replies

• missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    bumpppp.. no one have this issue.. really?!!?!? :)
  • abirkel
    abirkel Posts: 60
    Options
    I haven't been eating more very long, nor have I had my period back for very long (I didn't get my period back postpartum until my son was almost a year old due to breastfeeding), but I will say that my cycle has been 32 days long, and then in April it was randomly 37 days long..and I started eating more and in May my cycle was a very normal 29 days long.

I totally attribute it to eating enough.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm irregular cause I'm getting older (45 next month). I've been less out of wack since I started eating more, but I don't know what my new normal is right now. Sorry.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I never had this issue, but my guess it that it similar to people having their hair fall out, nails break, constant exhaustion, unable to focus, etc. Maybe ask the question in more general terms of 'when did your starvation mode symptoms start to go away'?
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's not just EM for you. You need to get your body fat up. The reason menses stops is because your body fat ratio has dropped below a certain percentage (it depends of each person, but anywhere between 13-24%). Your hormones need fat to function.

Could there be anything else going on? Or is your body fat really that low?
  • missdimpley
    Options
    nope.. my body fat isn't that low.. I have not check, but I'm 152lbs and I do have some fat lol. But i've been under eating for long time.. I guess that might be the reason why my hormones are messed up. I was on WW for 4-- almost 5 years, and last 2 months on MFP. Maybe you are right. I have to check, but my doctor said I'm ok.. took tests-- it was good. so I have no idea why :)
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    You can be 150lbs and still have a low body fat percentage. Other reasons menses cease are pregnancy, stress, medications, excessive exercise, poor nutrition or other issues with hormones.

Any of those fit?
  • missdimpley
    Options
    pregnancy neg. stress (maybe regarding emotional eating part-- not being able to eat that much with 1,200, etc), hormones seems to be ok (I went to endricologist (sp? doctor who specializes in hormones) to take blood tests, everything is normal. no pcos, etc). i used to work out A LOT, but at same time under eating.

I have excess skins from losing a lot, but not so bad because it took me 5 years to lose 178lbs.. I have 12-14 lbs left to go. I am not sure if that is what will happen to me though since I'm into EMTLW (My 3rd week starts tomorrow).
  • macnurseapril
    Options
    I suspect it will take a few weeks of eating well to get your period back. If the endocrinlogist has ruled out hormone issues, it would sound reasonable for it to be nutrition, and exercise. You may find you start out with really long cycles, and then they get more regular.
  • missdimpley
    Options
    Looking forward to get that back. I hope to have a kid someday. Doctor said it is ok to miss period.. If more than a year, that would be a concern.. whatever.. doctor thinks they know everything :) I pray this is the answer. I miss living my life.
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I lost my period when I had a severe bout of campylobacter in Africa. My body was just under too much stress. I have also skipped periods in the past in the run up to important exams, etc. Not eating properly and stressing myself out. There are lots of reasons for your cycle to get messed up - for me the main thing is to provide my body with proper nutrition and sleep and try to relax and stop stressing.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi girls!

I have irregular period for past 5 months (well I did not have them for 5 months). I also did not have them for whole sumemr last summer. After I did my research, I finally realized it was because of me eating way under. I was working out a lot and was not eating well.

So for girls who had irregular.. with this EMTLW-- how long did it take you to have it back? I don't miss it, but I need it! LOL :)

Again.. I have to vent.. bloated sucks ;)<3

How long have you been eating more?

It sounds like you've had extensive testing and all is well~ on paper, that is. Certainly you can "lose your period" with Low Calorie Eating and an intense exercise regime. (think of those little gymnasts we hear about)

I discovered just how malnourished I was after "Eating More" and noticing how I was NOT losing gobs of hair in the shower!! I was certain that I had a Thyroid problem and was tested and tested~ NOPE!!

I would have NEVER guessed that a 5 foot tall 200 pound woman could be UNDERNOURISHED and actually exhibit signs of it!

I think you should give Eating More at least 2 months and then decide if you need to take further medical steps.
  • missdimpley
    Options
    wow.. thanks girls..

I am starting my 3rd week of EMTLW today... I will definitely wait and see how it is for 2 weeks. I'm nervous but I'm going to do it no matter what.
    thanks for your time to respond my question... HUGS to ya all.